Woodcock 2018-2019

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Everyone should read Sand County Almanac at least twice. I’ve probably read it a dozen times along with his daughters book.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Floyd, Sadie, Pop and I did some R&D in a place we've never hunted before. It has potential. Season is out in a week in GA and at month's end in SC. Abby and Willa are in rotation for Wednesday and hope springs eternal. Gil

trad bow

Looks like a good spot. I watched and listened to several this evening at dark in my campground in the swamp.

hambone76

I’ve been hearing a bunch of Woodcock in the evenings at my land in Carroll. If anybody has a dog and wants to go before the season ends shoot me a PM.

trad bow

I jumped close to a dozen yesterday in the swamp on my lease. Unless my puppy points them I’m not going to try to shoot anymore this year. Of course the birds were in cover so thick, I don’t believe I could have got a shot off anyhow.

GLS

Jeff, that's a good many birds to find. Your pup will work out just fine. Have you exposed the pup to released birds? Gil

trad bow

Not yet. I have a couple dozen quail ordered and being their free I got to go by their schedule. As for the number of woodcock my lease is full of them right now. I know the habitat they are using in the swamp and can go straight to them right now. High water really has them concentrated on the leases high ground.
My back has been locked up the past couple days so I can’t move, sure can’t drive.

GLS

Sorry about your back--seems you had just gotten better for this season. Nice looking dog. Gil

GLS

We closed out the Ga.season today in both new and old territory. Abby and Willa did better than we did; lots of great dog work and escapees which isn't a bad thing. It's been a fine season and my 90 year-old mother sure enjoys eating woodcock as does the family. We've got 10 days from today in SC and we haven't been there since opening day. We were lucky to find new ground as high water kept us out of 3 of our prime areas. Gil

trad bow

I couldn’t let the last day of woodcock season pass without going to give it a try. Between my back going out on me and my puppy battling car sickness, we gave it a try. No birds, two squirrels treed and he actually just stood and watched three deer bound off.
I’m glad y’all had a good ending to the season Gil. I hope SC is good to y’all.

trad bow

My pup actually pointed a couple wild birds today in a briar thicket. Heard them flush out the far side but couldn’t see them. Sounded like quail but no visual. Hunting national forest so covey size is down by this time of season.
Jeff

coachdoug87

I didn't realize South Carolina a bad a longer season until I read all this. I definitely will take advantage of that next year. Anybody know of public land in upstate S.C. To hunt Woodcock?

GLS

Had a nice morning with Mills on some new haunts. Beautiful habitat but Abby backed by Willa found only one bird. Mills had the shot and his beauty of a 28 ga. Parker (circa 1903) was golden on the bird. Mills's 6 months old Britt Sherwood photo bombed the picture. ;) Gil

nrh0011

Looks like yall are still finding them. I'm hoping to get after them here in a couple weeks. I have been way more tied up this winter than I had imagined.

GLS

Faced with going to an unhunted honey hole from years past, a little too close to newly built residences, and going back to old grounds, but in spots we've never hunted, we opted for dog safety and went back to old grounds. Today was the last day of the season. After seeing a recent video of Louisiana woodcocking in wet pine flats, we tried that and found two birds in a spot we've never hunted. We missed one in an adjacent bottom. Here's the 3 minute video of a hunt in Louisiana. I wonder how often the hunter has to change the batteries in these dogs. ;) Sadie and Pop. Sadie in the photo. "we don't need no stinkin' batteries". Season's end, a good one. Finis. Peeent!

http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56097_800x600/] [/URL]

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

trad bow

That’s the way to end. Great hunting and great dogs. Thanks for sharing.