Woodcock 2018-2019

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I didn't mean to leave the impression that it's mine. I like the photo of it. :)
Gil

GLS

I had to resort to somewhat old technology yesterday as I couldn't find my digital scale so I used my 40+ year-old RCBS 1010. Both scales are tag-teaming me, alternately hiding, as I couldn't find the RCBS for two years and then stumbled on it where I put it while unsuccessfully looking for my Lyman digital which I put some place secure after turkey season.
I rolled up some woodcock loads for today. I think we'll finally have some cool, dry weather after temps in the 80s when it wasn't raining cats and dogs and snakes. Using a Manufrance (MF) roll crimper, MF adjustable shot/powder dipper, MF 16 ga. shotshell loading block, and Cheddite paper hulls, I loaded few shells for my 1930's MF Ideal 302 16 ga. No, I don' t celebrate Bastille Day.

Floyd, Sadie, Pop and I had a good day today on the nicest weather day we've had this year. Gil

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Looks like a great day. Y’all living the good life.
Jeff

GLS

Jeff, Floyd, Abby, Willa and I (dog wrangler and flusher) hunted a new place today with good results. Floyd's Ithaca SKB 100, my Darne R10 and Jeff's Uggie, all 20 ga. Beautiful day with an early start to hunt while still cool; easy on both the four-legged and two-legged old dogs. Some good dog work today. Gil

trad bow

Hope my pups heal up enough to start back hunting next week. Y’all certainly have it going on.

trad bow

Ran into a cable and cut neck. Got several deep cuts but they are just about healed. Just need him to quit scratching the neck making it bleed.
Jeff

GLS

Jeff, good to hear they are healing. Several years ago Abby went from 60 to 0 when she hit a coil of concertina (razor) wire in the woods we were hunting. Troops left it in the field which they aren't supposed to do. Fortunately Abby had on her Kevlar Bay Vest designed for hog protection. You can see both Willa and Abby in their vests in the first post of this thread. Wouldn't have stopped a neck cut, but these vests give me a little peace of mind when hunting swamps where hogs seem to be always present. I have seen enough near misses with hogs to be concerned when hunting woodcock around here. Gil

trad bow

I will get a Kevlar vest when he gets about grown. 34 lbs at five months and plenty of growing left.

GLS

When you are ready for one, let me know. I'll forward the info by PM where mine come from. Gil

GLS

Spent a few hours today in the woods with Abby and Willa and very few woodcock. Three solid points, same bird twice but no cigar. Third point was no bird. Lot of walking in the windy woods. Then I had a strange experience. I got an alert from my Astro 320 that Abby was on point about 125 yards out. I started towards her and heard Willa's bell clanking away to my left. She was with another dog. "Oh well, let's go see what Abby has". All three of us headed that way. 25' feet from where the handheld said Abby would be, there was no dog in sight. I got closer. Abby's collar was on the ground. I thought that dog with Willa looked familiar. Sometimes you just get lucky.

GLS

Today I went with Jeff, Floyd, Pop and Sadie. We downed 6 but only recovered 5. Floyd's gun was AWOL from photo but not from the action. It was a beautiful day in the woods. Lowpoint of the day dealing with Pop after he rolled in the greasy carcass of a wild hog. Despite a mud and water bath, he stunk to high heavens. Gil

trad bow

Great hunt. I carried my pup out today. We found several woodcock but they got up before we could get close enough for a point. Ran into three different groups rabbit hunting that may have what had the birds flushing wild on us. I was on a WMA close to the house.

trad bow

Your wife needs you and that’s what’s the most important right now. I’m sure when you are able to get back after them they’ll be there waiting.

GLS

Mike, it sounds as if you and your wife have had a hard row to hoe. Thinking of you and her and hoping things improve soon. Gil

GLS

I'm not at this point yet, but I can't rule it out in the future:
“The woodcock is a living refutation of the theory that the utility of a game bird is to serve as a target, or to pose gracefully on a slice of toast…Since learning of the sky dance, I find myself calling one or two birds enough. I must be sure that, come April, there will be no dearth of dancers in the sunset sky…”.

From A Sand County Almanac, 1949 Aldo Leopold