Woodcock 2018-2019

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Opening day woodcock, Georgia. Usually the birds aren't in, but this year it was different. We found 8-9, but only could get shots on two. The areas they were in were particularly thick and weren't our usual rivercane brakes. Abby and Willa on the ground the whole day. Briers took toll on Abby's ears, but by the time she was home, the cuts clotted and were treated. When I first noticed the blood, I thought her throat was cut. Ear bleeds look worse than they are. Willa was unscratched. Both dogs did a whole lot better than their owner. Floyd's death ray Ithaca SKB 20; my MF Ideal 16. Gil
http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55634_800x600/] [/URL]

http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55635_800x600/] [/URL]

mlandrum

GLS, wife just got out of surgery yesterday so Me and Drake were house bound today but Tuesday will be our first trip, looks like y’all had a good day?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Went to my hunting lease on the river today trying to shoot a hog or deer and saw nothing but woodcock. I had my 270 so went to truck and swapped out rifle for shotgun and walked another two hours and didn’t come across anymore. I’ll carry my pup back next week and see if I can get him up close with some woodcock.
Jeff

GLS

Mike, I hope your wife is doing okay.

Monday was a bust as a top covert was a foot underwater. We did flush one bird with no cigar (us, not the bird) when we found him in a briar tangle off an elevated road. Abby and Willa on the ground. Today, Floyd's Britts Sadie (6 years) and Pop (9 years) were on the ground. Pop is a huge Brittany at 55 lbs. We found a few birds and then moved to a new location. Pop is very direct and ponders the situation before moving. We were walking down a wide shouldered woods road with thick pines on the right. Sadie was busy on the left side. Floyd was talking about Pop being tuckered out. It was as if he heard us. He was about 25 yards from the woods. He walked, did not trot or run, to the edge and with a minimum of movement, locked down. Bird #2 in the bag. The switch was thrown. For the next hour and a half he and Sadie were involved in over 10 flushes. One time three birds got up. Of course, not a cut feather. Thick woods, briers, vines, leaves still on the trees (botanical excuses), made it a challenge. At times it was difficult to get a gun up. It was quite a day. Floyd's 20 ga. Ithaca SKB 100DR (Death Ray) and my 16 ga. A. Ilsley. I shot enough to let the birds know whose side I was on. Gil

gsp578

They are down! Duke pointed a pair last Saturday. All I can say is the woodcock population is still in tact!

mlandrum

Gill, I am in the ICU ward in Savannah with my wife! She had a brain bleed last Monday and a lot of testing is going on—the bleeding has finally stopped —So keep the news coming so far this is all the WC hunting I’m having this year so far?

trad bow

So sorry to hear about your wife. Prayers to heaven for her and hope she has a fast and complete recovery.
Jeff

GLS

Mike, hoping things continue to hold the course for your wife. Went out with my best girls today in a new spot, but all the good cover was under water. SC opens tomorrow and I'll be there. Gil

trad bow

I went to my lease today down next to the Ocmulgee and most of it was flooded. I couldn’t walk thru the planted pines, briars and reed canes but I believe that’s where the birds were. Right at dark I heard several quail locating calls and they were in the thick stuff. At least my pup got some excercise

Jeff

GLS

South Carolina opener was a little disappointing, but the birds usually show up later in numbers. Today our coverts were shrunken by high water everywhere. Four flushes, two down. However despite Sadie and Pop's best efforts and a good mark, we couldn't find the first bird. It is the first lost bird in 10 seasons. Gil

GLS

Billy filled in for Floyd today and we planned to leave house at 7 am. I had to cancel because Willa had developed pustules on her inner rear thighs. She had the same problem last year and they were infected which put her out of action. Vet prescribed an antibiotic regime and said she didn't have to ride the pines. She believed they were fire ant bites. Billy was able to come and we left at 9. We found 7 or 8 in tight spots that prevented shots on flushes. Birds were skittish and most of the flushes were un-pointed. Billy's predecessor to the Diana grade 20 ga. Superposed, a gun he inherited from his dad. My R10 20. Bird had a bad feather day.

mlandrum

South Carolina opener was a little disappointing, but the birds usually show up later in numbers. Today our coverts were shrunken by high water everywhere. Four flushes, two down. However despite Sadie and Pop's best efforts and a good mark, we couldn't find the first bird. It is the first lost bird in 10 seasons. Gil
Great job Gill?

GLS

After a couple of trips last week with birds found but "no birds in the hand" after shots fired, Floyd got back in town last night from visiting family. Despite warm temps and threat of rain, we took Pop and Sadie, his Britts, to some new ground and found some birds. We couldn't get Sadie to come out of the dog box and wear the beret which was a gag Xmas gift to Floyd. He in good nature ribs me about my French guns and boots, etc. As a good sport he wore the beret and held a bird shot with my Darne R10 20 ga. We beat the rain by minutes. Floyd's a professional carver by trade and here is a piece I've shown before. Everything is carved and painted by him including the leaves and grasshopper. He shoots as good as he carves and paints. The temps were borderline high yesterday and we didn't hunt long for the dogs' sake. We ended the hunt at the truck just as the bottom fell out of the sky. There was plenty of water in the woods for them to cool off and they did. It looks like it'll be too warm until later in the week. Yesterday we saw turtles on the road and lady bugs everywhere. We've had enough rain. Several prime spots are under water. Birds are pushed out on the hill and look to gum/pine sapling thickets for them. Tree cover shooting is difficult compared to head high cane where the shots are more open when they get above the cane. Gil

Last edited:

trad bow

I am astounded by the talent of Mr Floyd. Ever carving you present to us is truly world class piece of artwork.
Jeff

Rebel's Dad

After seeing those I remember you posting some of his work before--astounding artistry and craftsmanship.

Aside from the fact that the hat would be hard to keep on your head in the thick stuff, it's perfect.

And yeah, way too much rain.

Latest posts