Would you in todays America?

Baroque Brass

I figure many, if not most of us, spent many a Friday and Saturday night with our favorite girl, parked in a secluded place, enjoying each other’s company. I know I did and really never gave safety a second thought. I think about today and some things that could’ve happened to us and especially the girl. Things were certainly different in the seventies. I’m sometimes a little nervous now being out with the wife, even though I’m usually packing. If you were a teenager today, would you feel safe “parking”?

sinclair1

I figure many, if not most of us, spent many a Friday and Saturday night with our favorite girl, parked in a secluded place, enjoying each other’s company. I know I did and really never gave safety a second thought. I think about today and some things that could’ve happened to us and especially the girl. Things were certainly different in the seventies. I’m sometimes a little nervous now being out with the wife, even though I’m usually packing. If you were a teenager today, would you feel safe “parking”?
We have tent camped after hiking miles into the woods back in the late 90’s. We now are hesitant to even tent camp at a state park.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not in a city. Anywhere else, sure.

LTZ25

You better not feel totally safe anywhere outside nowadays , there are crack addicts everywhere now . I do say that if someone in the woods camping gets attacked you don't have to worry about a thug getting a cooked lawyer to sure you , if they aren't around to hire him . Me being an older guy , I carry a Glock when I'm outside and no one else is around in my neighbor hood at Sinclair , I'm still very good with a gun , there's a lot of squirrels that learned the hard way .

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You better not feel totally safe anywhere outside nowadays , there are crack addicts everywhere now . I do say that if someone in the woods camping gets attacked you don't have to worry about a thug getting a cooked lawyer to sure you , if they aren't around to hire him .
Not much in the way of crack addicts here. That's an urban mostly demographic problem. We gots plenty of methheads and oxyheads, but they're out to steal instead of attack people. I camp all the time in the woods, and have all my life, never had a single issue. Somebody tries to come in my tent, and they not gonna be happyhappy at all. They won't bother anybody else, for sure.

As for parking back in the day, the only people that I ever had issues with were national park rangers with those big maglites. :)

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Not much in the way of crack addicts here. That's an urban mostly demographic problem. We gots plenty of methheads and oxyheads, but they're out to steal instead of attack people. I camp all the time in the woods, and have all my life, never had a single issue. Somebody tries to come in my tent, and they not gonna be happyhappy at all. They won't bother anybody else, for sure.

As for parking back in the day, the only people that I ever had issues with were national park rangers with those big maglites. :)
Yep, zombies. Meth has turned to fentanyl which has even further tranquilized them. Harmless in a fist fight much less a gun fight (non confrontational) but they will steal you blind at 3am.

B. White

It ain't just nowadays. We had somebody walk in our tin shack on a middle GA lease when we were there back in the 80's. They were smart enough to hear the clicks from the hammer on the super blackhawk and said "I think I'm in the wrong place" and backed out quickly. This was during the summer when we were fishing on the river, so I could only figure they thought the vehicles were from other folks partying.

basstrkr

You know as teenagers danger didn't seem so relative to most of us. But even factoring that in it's hard to say I would take the chance today.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You need to go camping with me sometime, Sinclair. We'll hike about ten miles back into the Smokies and eat what we catch. :)

sinclair1

You better not feel totally safe anywhere outside nowadays , there are crack addicts everywhere now . I do say that if someone in the woods camping gets attacked you don't have to worry about a thug getting a cooked lawyer to sure you , if they aren't around to hire him . Me being an older guy , I carry a Glock when I'm outside and no one else is around in my neighbor hood at Sinclair , I'm still very good with a gun , there's a lot of squirrels that learned the hard way .
We never worried there but I carried at Allatoona at night even though it was unlawful. Those 3am boat ramp load ups alone in the metro could get sketchy.

B. White

I had forgot about coming out of a logging road after we had fished a river and coming up on a truck blocking our path. It was funny to watch half dressed folks jump out of the back and get in the front and take off. Free entertainment back then.

sinclair1

You need to go camping with me sometime, Sinclair. We'll hike about ten miles back into the Smokies and eat what we catch. :)
You take me first and then we will drive three times around Atlanta on I 285 in the twin Turbo, then camp at Lanier during a NASCAR Weekend.

I bet you fire more rounds

Just kidding after three years down here, I couldn’t survive metro traffic or camping at Lanier.