Yamaha Prop Questions

SWAMPFOX

I have a 40 hp, 1986 Yamaha outboard. I've been running a 10 1/4" x 14G prop. But I have found that this motor will also accommodate a 10 3/8" x 13G prop. ( I don't know what the G stands for).

The top end RPM on the engine is 4500-5500 and I am planing at about 25-30 mph at top speed with the 10 1/4" x 14G prop.

My question is what, if anything, would I gain by switching to the 10 3/8" x 13G prop?

Thanks.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The 14 and 13 are the pitch of the blades, in inches forward per revolution.

With the diameters being so close, the only thing you MIGHT gain is topping out a little closer to max rpm.

This would be because the prop is "loading" the engine a bit less, allowing for higher RPMs.

With the 13, you MIGHT see a small increase in top speed, IF your engine actually spins closer to maximum rpm.

The trade off is, that it will take a touch longer to get out of the hole and onto full plane.

In reality, you probably won't notice any real difference without a GPS, and a tachometer. In most cases, you gotta change at least 2" of pitch for anything really noticable to happen.

You just gotta try it and see...

ribber

I have a 40 hp, 1986 Yamaha outboard. I've been running a 10 1/4" x 14G prop. But I have found that this motor will also accommodate a 10 3/8" x 13G prop. ( I don't know what the G stands for).

The top end RPM on the engine is 4500-5500 and I am planing at about 25-30 mph at top speed with the 10 1/4" x 14G prop.

My question is what, if anything, would I gain by switching to the 10 3/8" x 13G prop?

Thanks.

Assuming you have the motor on a 15-16 ft boat, you would see very little difference. Lots of variables with props, but going down 1 inch in pitch wouldn't do much on a 40hp. You might jump on plane slightly quicker.
Props won't make huge differences in small to midrange motors (2,3,&4 cyl). Where cup, diameter, pitch, shape, etc. really shine is in the larger V6 and above motors. The faster the prop spins, the more things like pitch and cup make a difference.