Your favorite thing to do with ground deer

Shadow11

It has a lot of uses. With the coolers being busier than normal this year, we seem to be getting more. That's perfectly fine with me and I understand. I like the ground just as much. I'll make burgers, roll it in flour and fry it in oil, and make lots of chili. I haven't tried it all, but I guess my favorite is this...

Just make hamburger patties, roll em in flour and fry in a little oil. Start chopping those patties into small chunks as they start getting brown. At the same time, in a separate pan start frying some taters in a lil bit of oil. Combine all into one large pan. Then start adding some cut up bell peppers, a few jalapenos, sliced onions, and some garlic of some sort. Add salt and pepper as needed. Stir around til everything is tender. Put on plate. Put cheddar cheese on top and melt it. Good stuff.

What y'alls favorite? I'd like to try something new.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Lol. Yeah I know... It's all good. If you could only eat one recipe, and had to eat it everyday, what would it be?

That would be tiresome and monotonous after a while, but if I had to settle for just one, it would be a tossup between meat loaf and chili.

TJay

When I was growing up my Mom used to make this stuff she called bean hash. A can of pork and beans drained, an onion, some ketchup, some brown sugar and browned ground beef. I do pretty much the same except ground deer. I love it but my wife doesn't really like it much, I think it's because of how it affects me later.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
We use it in all kinds of stuff. Chili and burgers are my favorites

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Can't really pick a favorite. Maybe meatloaf. The most often use in our house is tacos.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use it in all kinds of stuff. Tacos and gyros are favorites. And pasta dishes, and burgers, and about anything you can think of. I also like to make venison brats and Italian sausage.

burger11.jpg

gyros2.jpg

tacos.jpg

deerpasta3.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Except grilled burgers. I do not have fat added to deer burger, therefore my deer burger is too dry to use for making hamburger patties.

For meat loaf, I blend ground venison with ground beef.
Actually, no-fat deer makes a good burger. Make it thick, and slow-smoke it on the grill. Don't overcook it. For regular burgers, I save the fat when I trim a brisket, and mix it with the deer burger one pound of fat to four pounds of ground deer. Makes one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. I don't mix fat with mine either, for most things. I mix pork fat with it for making sausage.

Shadow11

A couple of y'all mentioned adding pork fat. Is that something y'all do before you freeze it or something you do when cooking? I've always gotten fat added, but I think its always been beef. Twin oaks did my last deer, and I had beef fat added. It's some of the better ground that I've had. I'm not sure what kind of fat the other guys add. They just ask me if I want to add the fat. I've always yes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of y'all mentioned adding pork fat. Is that something y'all do before you freeze it or something you do when cooking? I've always gotten fat added, but I think its always been beef. Twin oaks did my last deer, and I had beef fat added. It's some of the better ground that I've had. I'm not sure what kind of fat the other guys add. They just ask me if I want to add the fat. I've always yes.
The only time I add pork fat is when I'm making sausage. I do it up in a big batch and then freeze the sausages. If I add any for burgers, it's beef brisket fat.

Shadow11

K. Gotcha. Sounds like I've been missing out on the meatloaf. I'm supposed to see my mom later. She always made the best meatloaf. Gonna give her some of this ground for exchange of her recipe. If I can't make it right, she can make some for me.