Your favorite thing to do with ground deer

CurLee

A couple of y'all mentioned adding pork fat. Is that something y'all do before you freeze it or something you do when cooking? I've always gotten fat added, but I think its always been beef. Twin oaks did my last deer, and I had beef fat added. It's some of the better ground that I've had. I'm not sure what kind of fat the other guys add. They just ask me if I want to add the fat. I've always yes.
I grind the pork fat and deer together through a coarse plate, then again through the same course plate, then freeze.

When I brown some up for a meal, I'll eat more straight out the pan before it gets to the table. No seasoning added. Its good.

hawkeye123

I make deer burgers w/ no fat added, add 1 egg to burger, low sodium Dales, Italian bread crumbs, salt N pepper, garlic powder, melt colby jack cheese , cook to med rare, juicy & mighty tasty, have had a bunch of folks say "best burger Ive ever ate", no one ever said dry, like NCHillbilly said don't overcook

madsam

we live off venison..No- fat added !!! meatloaf , the best chili in the wooorld, actually
we use it for everything. My fav. are venison burgers . I only add a egg to mine. salt/pepper . Sweet momma marinates back strap in Island Soyaki and grills to
med rare. Tenderloin is grilled /wrapped bacon or pan seared and eaten with
cheese grits. Whole roast is cut into steaks or cooked in crockpot with gravy. On
quick cook days we brown meat and throw in a can of manwich (original) top
bun with manwich /havarti cheese slice. Spaghetti sauce (homemade) . momma is italian.....This is just a start ... We always cook in bulk and eat leftovers for a few days.....o'yea fried cube steak. Its finally lunchtime, I'm hungry!!!

Liberty

Liberty

The first thing that I do when I ground a deer is drag it to the truck or wheelbarrow, haha.. Our favorite use is chilli and spaghetti. I also mix it in with Country Pride sausage for breakfast sausage.

pop pop jones

Me and my wife both love to lightly pan fry the ground venison, then in a casserole dish I line the bottom with slices of potatoes, then add a layer of sliced onion, then a layer of the venison. Then start over until the dish is nearly to the top. I bake in the oven at 350
Till the potatoes start to get soft, then add a layer of cheese to the top, and finish cooking til the cheese bubbles. This and a pan of biscuits is very good, well to us anyway.

Wifeshusband

Meatloaf. When I was a kid, and even into young adulthood, I couldn't stand meatloaf because we had it so much of it in the school cafeteria. But the meatloaf I make with venison is in another world from that. I actually prefer a lot of my deer ground because there is so much you can do with it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am not a fan of meatloaf. Try the gyros, and substitute ground deer for ground lamb in the recipe.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Chili and spaghetti are my favorites. When i want a burger i buy beef.

Something i didnt see mentioned.
I put it in Zatarans black beans and rice. Top with some mozzarella when done. Maybe not out of this world but good, simple and fast.

fatback

I like to brown some ground venison, remove from the pan. Then in the pan, render 3 or 4 piece of bacon and remove for later. In the bacon drippings cook a well diced onion and some mushrooms. Once the onions and mushrooms are almost done, add the ground venison back and add cream on mushroom soup and let that simmer down. Once that is cooked down, add a big dollop of sour cream and mix well. Serve as is or over noodles or mashed potatoes. Crumbled the bacon over top of it. Sort of a poor man's stroganoff. A good crunch dill pickle make a tasty side to this for some reason. It is easy to make and quite tasty and filling, especially on a cold night.

AugustaDawg

I like to brown some ground venison, remove from the pan. Then in the pan, render 3 or 4 piece of bacon and remove for later. In the bacon drippings cook a well diced onion and some mushrooms. Once the onions and mushrooms are almost done, add the ground venison back and add cream on mushroom soup and let that simmer down. Once that is cooked down, add a big dollop of sour cream and mix well. Serve as is or over noodles or mashed potatoes. Crumbled the bacon over top of it. Sort of a poor man's stroganoff. A good crunch dill pickle make a tasty side to this for some reason. It is easy to make and quite tasty and filling, especially on a cold night.
If you haven't before, you should try these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-F...-006-17648d154ecd23&athancid=null&athena=true

AugustaDawg

When I was growing up my Mom used to make this stuff she called bean hash. A can of pork and beans drained, an onion, some ketchup, some brown sugar and browned ground beef. I do pretty much the same except ground deer. I love it but my wife doesn't really like it much, I think it's because of how it affects me later.
No bacon strips on top? That's how we always made it.