Bypassing the headlights on a Chevy ???

Just 1 More

Anyone know how to bypass the headlight system on a 2002 2500HD? They are activated by photocell sensors on the dash. I would like to be able to turn them on and off myself.. as it is,, i never have to touch the switch.

ryano

Banned
My Colorado has a Auto mode in the switch and I would think your truck does as well. That allows for the lights to go on and off autmatically without having to touch anything.

Just cut the lights on manually using the switch or dial and you should be good to go :)

Just 1 More

Yes.. mine is the same way.. but there are times I want to shut them off when it's dark, while it's still running

ryano

Banned
Just 1 More said:
OFF... I want to turn them OFF

Hmmmm. Not sure about that one! I know on my truck if I turn the "dial" to the far left to the Off position the lights will then turn off.

Does yours have an Off option on the swith or dial???

hope Im making sense to ya here :huh:

Randy

I can turn my 2004 off. There is a position that is like a half colored circle. Turn the lights to that.

Just 1 More

Randy said:
I can turn my 2004 off. There is a position that is like a half colored circle. Turn the lights to that.
Not on mine.. :crazy:

Just talked to a guy who pointed me in the direction of my owners manual.. and it states that if you push the dome lamp button 4 times within 60 seconds..... it will turn the lights off.. I went outside and tried it.. sure nuff.. pushed in and out 4 times and the lights went off. :banana:

Last edited:

elkoholic

I do not think you can turn off the 02 i had an 01 and i could not turn them off. but my 04 i can i think your are just going to have live with it. i know your pain

Randy

Just 1 More said:

Just talked to a guy who pointed me in the direction of my owners manual.. and it states that if you push the dome lamp button 4 times within 60 seconds..... it will turn the lights off.. I went outside and tried it.. sure nuff.. pushed in and out 4 times and the lights went off. :banana:

I should have remembered. That is the way my 2000 was. You can also use it to turn of the running lights.

jason308

There is no possibility of me being able to control my headlights on my 99 Silverado! That is one of the few things I do not like about that truck!

Sea Fox

I have a 01 and if you apply the parking brake before you you crank it they will not come on until you release the parking brake. I dont know if it can be converted to total manual or not. Call a dealer and ask them. The owners manual might tell you.

Heathen

Just 1 More said:

Yes this works on the 01' as well cause that's what I got. But I never turn them off. They usually don't come on till you put the truck in gear.

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
What Sea Fox said works on my 99 Zr2 - i wish they woulda just put an off switch in there

bradpatt03

chevy's....:D

i just turn my switch to "off" in my ford :cool:

no but seriously- my friend's got a new chevy and it seems like he goes thru headlights and running lights as fast as i go thru windshield wipers...they never turn off in his :huh:

Heathen

bradpatt03 said:
chevy's....:D

i just turn my switch to "off" in my ford :cool:

no but seriously- my friend's got a new chevy and it seems like he goes thru headlights and running lights as fast as i go thru windshield wipers...they never turn off in his :huh:
Hey I love the day time running lights, but they are not the same as the headlights. They definatley help other folks to see you and I think all vehicles should have them. Your friend must drive an awfull lot I have only replace each light's bulb only once and my truck is almost five years old. It is nice to not have to worry about turning them on though. :bounce:

wasp

how to turn lights off

push the parking brake down one click this will turn the lights off and doese not apply the parking brake works great slipping in to the woods before day light hope this helps

ponyboy

when my bulbs burn out they wont be replaced.........98 chevy..... bunch of crap.......

Just 1 More

wasp said:
push the parking brake down one click this will turn the lights off and doese not apply the parking brake works great slipping in to the woods before day light hope this helps

NO.. not on mine... it did on my 98 but not on the 2002 ... but if you read the whole post... It was solved by the couple posts.. thanks anyway