20 Ga turkey choke Rem 870

mallardk

10 yr old wants to go Turkey hunting this year. He is still too small to shoot full size 12, he has youth Rem 870 (20ga) and just looking for cheap or decent turkey choke, since he will probably be in 12 ga next year, any ideas?

Gut_Pile

I've done a lot of research on this lately since I just bought a remington 20ga myself. Get one of remingtons super full chokes which is $10 and get you some federal heavyweight #7's which run $20 for 5 of them.

You will be amazed and how well this gun will pattern. And next year when he moves up the the 12 you can tote around his lightweight 20ga and roll em dead at 40 yards just like he can.

icdedturkes

I have had great luck with the Pure Gold 555 and H 13, Nitros, EM waterfowl load.. One bargain choke that is overlooked is the Tru Glo strut stopper xtreme 550.. It patterns as well as the pure gold with most the ammos and is only 35 bucks.

Gumbo1

I've done a lot of research on this lately since I just bought a remington 20ga myself. Get one of remingtons super full chokes which is $10 and get you some federal heavyweight #7's which run $20 for 5 of them.

You will be amazed and how well this gun will pattern. And next year when he moves up the the 12 you can tote around his lightweight 20ga and roll em dead at 40 yards just like he can.

Sounds like what I am up to for my 8 year old, but you did better than I. I picked up a Rem Super Full for $19.99 and thought that was a good deal. I just need to check the pattern on it.

trkyburns

10 yr old wants to go Turkey hunting this year. He is still too small to shoot full size 12, he has youth Rem 870 (20ga) and just looking for cheap or decent turkey choke, since he will probably be in 12 ga next year, any ideas?

Ken, you just need to let me call a turkey right into that boy's lap and he can shoot it with whatever choke he wants! :shoot:
On second thought, you've heard me call and might not want me anywhere near you in the turkey woods. I hope he kills a big 'un this year.

Will see you in about a month or so. Bring me a 20ga over/under to borrow will ya? :cheers:

trkyhntr70

I have had great luck with the Pure Gold 555 and H 13, Nitros, EM waterfowl load.. One bargain choke that is overlooked is the Tru Glo strut stopper xtreme 550.. It patterns as well as the pure gold with most the ammos and is only 35 bucks.

X2, another good bargain choke is the jellyhead.
Ive been through 2 boxes of the 20ga. Fed hwts. with 2 870's and 4 chokes one of them being the Rem sf.
Theres a few that have good patterns from them but its not a proven combo.

Brad C.

That's great advice, but you won't find them for $10 I don't believe. Get on gunbroker and look for them there or you can I believe still buy them here. http://www.e-gunparts.com/ (866)686-7424 or (845)679-2417

beubanks

I hunt with the same gun and I am 55 years old 6'4" 235 I have hunted with the 20 for many years off and on I shoot a Rhino choke and Nitro H276 shells I think will always hunt with a 20 after I saw what this little gun will do sorry I have no pics of the pattern but it will shoot 190 in 10" at 40yds he may never want to hunt a 12 Billy

J Gilbert

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/remington-choke-tubes/RemSF

There ya go, if I don't pick up some Nitros for this season I'll be buying one of these and the HW 7's from Federal to try out

Edit: For the record, there's no reason to push him into a 12ga, I'm 21 and will be hunting with my 20ga 870 this year as long as I'm able to find the right choke/load combo for it in time (and I've got a Winchester SX3 that'll put 210+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards that'll be playing backup). You can absolutely kill turkeys with a 20ga and the right loads, to 40+ yards if you put some time in it

icdedturkes

I switched to the 20 a three years ago and havent looked back..

The only problem is, if you want to make a bonafide 40 yard gun out of one, you have to spend some coin.. With the decreased payload from a 12, you need to make your 20 efficient.

Lead loads will do to 30. But if you want forty, you need HTL loads and a high quality choke.

LongBeards

Another vote for Jellyhead with Hevi 13 #6. My son started with these in his 870 20 gauge when he was 9. He's 16 now and doesn't want to shoot anything else. Dead at 40 yards.

mallardk

Thanks

Guys I really do appreciate all the feedback, this is what I love about Woody's, got a question put it out there and I have always got great advice and tips from everyone. If the rest of the world worked liked hunters we would be in great shape.

hawglips

Banned

The Remington Super Full patterns as well or better than anything you'll spend a lot more money on.

fountain

the little 20 will shoot with a lot of the 12 ga guns out there. last year i hunted with my 20 ga encore and was getting 225+ pellets in a 10" circle at 40 shooting the pure gold choke and hevi #7 nitros

blindhog

I ordered the Rem Sf for my 870 20 ga today. I am gonna try the Fed HW 7's. I like that 15 gram wt. @ 1200 zooming at their heads!!

bonafide

I just ordered the Remington SF for my son's 870; I think we'll have to try the Federal HW's also.