Handgun suggestions

Trizey

I'm wanting to buy a handgun for protection, but mostly hunting and just shooting.

I don't want a revolver and I'm looking for a compact or sub-compact.
Does anyone have a suggestion for calibers to hunt and shoot with? Are there any particular models that you like? :shoot:

Randy

Trizey,
What you are looking for is not available. Really. Hunting and autos in the compact range don't really go toether. Not that it can't be done at close range but auto rounds are not really made for hunting. But if I had to choose a gun that would work if necessary it would be the Model 23 Glock. That is a 40 cal. midsized gun that will work in a pinch!

Clint-06

I would suggest a 4" .357 revolver, but since you want an auto you need to look at a 10mm or a .45 ACP.

I have a Glock Model 30 that is compact, and I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with it out to 30 yards with +P 230 grain HPs.

Clint-06

leadoff

GONetwork Member
As far as hunting goes, you are pretty much limited to a revolver unless you go with the Thompson Encore or another similarly made pistol. Ruger Super Redhawk or Blackhawk are great hunting guns. (IMO-I have owned and hunted with both. Super Redhawk was .44 mag and Blackhawk was .41 mag. The Blackhawk was a MULE!!!) Both are revolvers, though. ::huh:

If you are talking about having a compact just to TAKE with you while hunting, then that is a different matter. I have never owned anything other than a revolver as far as handguns go, so I will leave that up to the ones in the know! :)

Trizey

leadoff said:
If you are talking about having a compact just to TAKE with you while hunting...

Leadoff- I think you've hit it... I'm looking for more of a semi-auto to carry while hunting, but also be effective up to maybe 30 yards on deer.

Is there such a semi caliber that can do this? ::huh:

Randy

The 40 can do this. The 357 sig. can do this. the 10mm and 45 can do this but the 10mm and 45 guns will not be as compact as the 40 or 357.

badger

Trizey,

a great compromise (assuming the carry side of it is important) might be a Taurus Tracker in 41. Mag. Yes, it is a revolver, but is small enough to carry & definately has the beans for hunting. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for big game.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Glock in 10mm is a hunting caliber. Check out cor-bon ammo.

T

Trizey

Well yesterday I bought a Glock 23. I went with the .40 caliber and to say I'm happy about it is an understatement. :D

For the handgun folks, let me ask this. Is there a proper break-in cycle to go through with a Glock or any handgun?

Also, can anyone suggest a grain and bullet type in a .40?

georgiaboy

Another vote for Cor-Bon. I got to take a look at a book called Handgun Stopping Power this weekend while hunting and there were some interesting results. federal Hydro Shoks and Cor-Bon were the two highest rated in .40 from what I remember. Both work well in my Glock 23.

Randy

I shoot the Hydor-Shocks also but I here the Core-Bon's are good. I still haev some Winchester BLack Talons that I like too. Trizey, Glad you like the gun. No break in just shoot it! If you need help with tearing it down give me a call.

Buzz

Trizey said:
Well yesterday I bought a Glock 23. I went with the .40 caliber and to say I'm happy about it is an understatement. :D

For the handgun folks, let me ask this. Is there a proper break-in cycle to go through with a Glock or any handgun?

Also, can anyone suggest a grain and bullet type in a .40?

Nah - just buy a few boxes of the cheap white box 100 packs at Wal Mart and blast away. Many recommend shooting a semi auto a couple of hundred rounds before they are totally reliable. Just read the instruction booklet for the proper fieldstripping method and re-assembly instructions.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I'd pump about 500 rounds through it after cleaning it thoroughly, that should let you know if any problems are there (there won't be). :D

It field strips rather easily.

T