Trapper question and answer thread.

mossyoakpro

Alright, got a question...for those that keep notes, how is your catch success during the Full Moon phase?
I’m not trying to make excuses for my inabilities, but I suck during the Full Moon. Same thing happened in Dec and Jan. I think during the few days prior to and after the actual full Moon I’ve caught a bobcat and that’s been it.
I may just have it in my head that it’s a bad time, but so far my records prove it. I’m nowhere near the trapper half of y’all are, but I can’t even catch a possum right now, lol!
So what say y’all, do you think the Moon has any effect on the predator/prey movement?

Interesting question Mark...I have never marked moon phase but I may have to start, I keep pretty detailed logs on location, trap, bait, lure and type but not moon. If you wanna know how many I caught on what bait at what location....that I can tell you. LOL

Mark K

Banned
May be nothing to it. I just can get on a roll with my catches and then the Full Moon rolls around and nothing for a week or so, then BAM back to catching critters. Like I stated, may just be me and my inabilities. Still learning...every single day!

johnq85

Alright, got a question...for those that keep notes, how is your catch success during the Full Moon phase?
I’m not trying to make excuses for my inabilities, but I suck during the Full Moon. Same thing happened in Dec and Jan. I think during the few days prior to and after the actual full Moon I’ve caught a bobcat and that’s been it.
I may just have it in my head that it’s a bad time, but so far my records prove it. I’m nowhere near the trapper half of y’all are, but I can’t even catch a possum right now, lol!
So what say y’all, do you think the Moon has any effect on the predator/prey movement?
Mine definitely slacks off around the full moon. I actually read part of a study recently where a student up north kept very detailed records of raccoon trapping and found 36% of his catch was when the moon was less than 12.5% illumination. This was the article
https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/conservation/trapping-for-better-hunting

mossyoakpro

Anyone ever trap peach orchards? I could use a little help on where to start. LOL

I'm used to crop fields but the orchard thing is a brand new adventure....

johnq85

Has anyone ever seen any information on roughly how many coyotes there are per a square mile in Georgia? Or, does anyone know an average coyote family unit size. Just wondering what would be considered a good amount of coyotes taken off of a given area, say 500 acres.

mossyoakpro

Has anyone ever seen any information on roughly how many coyotes there are per a square mile in Georgia? Or, does anyone know an average coyote family unit size. Just wondering what would be considered a good amount of coyotes taken off of a given area, say 500 acres.

The more the merrier...LOL Your fawns will love you for it :)

Mark K

Banned
Maybe Gobblero will chime in. I would guess it all depends on whether you’re in the home area or on the fringes of an area. Would also imagine numbers would be based on whether it’s been trapped before.

Ol' Gobblero

Lot of factors to consider. Most eastern yotes home range varies from 1 square mile to 5 square miles. 640 acres in a square mile. So if there is no overlap in territories, you may only have one group at any given time on 500 acres. Or there may not be any coyotes on that 500 acres. Some people will disagree with that statement. If you luck up and find a territory boundary there could be 10-20 using that 500 acre block. Group size varies in the east from 2 to about 6. During breeding season their range increases greatly. I have taken 20 coyotes of a 500 acre property in a year, but I have also only taken 10 off a 5,000 acre property in a year. Really depends on density. The way I can tell that I have made a dent in the population is when I stop noticing sign (tracks and scat).

Ol' Gobblero

During my last 3 weeks of trapping I caught 8 coyotes in the same 2 traps in the middle of a 100 acre ag field. Traps set 20 yds from each other on a road. And this property is trapped hard every year. Explain that one.

Mark K

Banned
Apparently that was their highway, lol! Or the “boundary” line for two different groups? Whatever it was I bet you remember it the next time you set that property.

johnq85

That is what I was trying to figure out Gobblero. I trapped a property earlier in the year that was probably 200 acres bordered by highway in 2 sides and a large creek on another. There was lots of sign going down the main road through the property and I ended up catching 5 out of there. I know there is at least one more because I found some tracks off the road a little way but I have not seen near the amount of sign as what I did before. The creek is not so big that they could not cross it but they would get wet. I was just unsure if I had caught most of what was there or if they had stopped using the road because of my presence and were still using the property.

Mark K

Banned
Alright, it was mentioned in another thread about a “properly constructed urine post set”...please explain.
I have attempted, but never caught anything on a post set/urine set. Would really like to though!!

mossyoakpro

Alright, it was mentioned in another thread about a “properly constructed urine post set”...please explain.
I have attempted, but never caught anything on a post set/urine set. Would really like to though!!

I'm far from an expert but the last one I caught was on a scent post set...I used a white rock on that particular set and put a dab of gland under the lip and shot some urine on the top of it. Each time it rained I would freshen the urine but not the gland. I caught a big female last year on a stick that was burned that I drilled a hole in the ground and stuck it down....same thing, dab of gland lure and urine on the stick. I always set my trap with the levers facing the scent post because they will approach it to pee so you want them to step on it like a walk through set. Just my experience with it...I try to get them in an obvious place that cannot be missed, I try and put my rocks up on little mounds because I like them to stick out so the curiosity kicks in as well as the smell....sticks I put right on the side of the travel route where they almost have to trip over it to get by it. I'm always looking for rocks and other obvious items on my travels to use for the scent post stuff.

blt152

I haven't trapped in 50 yrs. I gave it a go on my lease in Buchanan the past few months and was pleased that I made some catches. Three gray fox and one coyote. I pulled my traps and am planning on starting again after turkey season. I would like to know if I need to change baits and lures? I have been told that more food is available now so hunger is not the driving factor. What should I use?

mossyoakpro

I haven't trapped in 50 yrs. I gave it a go on my lease in Buchanan the past few months and was pleased that I made some catches. Three gray fox and one coyote. I pulled my traps and am planning on starting again after turkey season. I would like to know if I need to change baits and lures? I have been told that more food is available now so hunger is not the driving factor. What should I use?

I have had the best luck in hot weather on liquid bait because of the ants. If I do use regular baits I normally go with something sweet smelling. You will most likely get some answers from folks who have way more knowledge than I do but that's been my experience in the warm months.

Best of luck!!

sleepr71

I think coyote density revolves around the Habitat & how much FOOD is close. Thick stuff like 3-10yr old clear cut/planted pines,livestock operations,ag fields..tend to keep more nearby,or living there full time.

Mark K

Banned
Anyone ever used the surveyors flags to mark traps? Just trying to work out something so they don’t get run over or parked on. Or would I be better off with a dowel rod about 4ft off the deck with something wrapped up top marking it. I have some white flags I was going to try and didn’t know if it would have a adverse effect.

mossyoakpro

Anyone ever used the surveyors flags to mark traps? Just trying to work out something so they don’t get run over or parked on. Or would I be better off with a dowel rod about 4ft off the deck with something wrapped up top marking it. I have some white flags I was going to try and didn’t know if it would have a adverse effect.

Mark, I use the flags you stick down in the ground to mark DP's. Never tried it on legholds except for the occasional cat based trap to get their attention. Not much help I know :(

Mark K

Banned
Well the coyote yesterday came from an obvious dirthole set, but the pipe set 20-30ft away on the opposite side had a flag. I can say it didn’t scare him too bad or I might have caught him in that set if the flag hadn’t been there. Still experimenting.

Mark K

Banned
Also using my sons Lab as a test subject for different urines and making me some scent post. So far out of coyote, fox, and bobcat urine...bobcat is the first hit and the most. Had him even switch up the logs to see if it was just his routine to go to one first. He seems to find and hit the bobcat first, then coyote, and lastly the fox. Although some days he won’t even mark the fox.