New Rifle suggestions

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My son has a birthday coming up & I'm thinking of getting him a new rifle.
Probably another 308 caliber.
Looking at Savage Axis & Mossberg Patriot.
What are yall's thoughts? Pros & cons?
Thanks.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Ruger 77 All Weather, I have the older version with a trigger job and love it.
Ruger added the LC6 trigger which cured only issue it had.
The Savage Axis would be my next choice, good gun.

I’ve had decades of great service out of both brands but Ruger is my personal preference.

Blackston

I got a patriot it gets the job done wish I would have spent 150 more and got a little better action and trigger But I’ve killed 10 deer with it in 2 seasons so ... it works, very reliable, and I don’t mind sitting through a rain storm shaking the water out of it and keeping on keeping on ( it’s a 308)

I much prefer the Patriot and have considered one for myself. They have a couple wood stocked versions, and I'd suggest looking there.

I went with a Ruger American for my Grandkids a few years back, but today I believe I'd go with the Patriot instead.

Dub

Are you looking for a youth sized or full sized gun?

What kind of budget are you thinking of ?

Jimmypop

My all time favorite is a marlin xl7 in 270 win. I read that Remington discontinued the xl7 and replaced it with the 783. If I were looking, that's where I would start. I also like 270 a little better than 308. To me it shoots a little smoother and kills a tad quicker.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Are you looking for a youth sized or full sized gun?

What kind of budget are you thinking of ?
Full size. He's almost 15 & almost 606. Lol.
I'm wanting to replace his 1st rifle, a H&R single shot 308.
He & I both like the 308 cal. He's killed all of his deer with that caliber.

Budget under $400.

Reactions: Dub

280 Man

Banned
I bought a Ruger American in 7-08 for my grandson last year. I put a Meopta 3-9x40 scope on it as well. To say this rifle will shoot is an understatement. I hand-load for it and it will shoot sub MOA with just about anything I run through it. It'll shoot Nosler BT's, Sierra GK's and Pro-Hunter bullets extremely well..

For what these rifles were designed for, they are awesome firearms for the money. Also, Bell & Carlson has a replacement stock that would be a very good upgrade if "you" ever wanted to go that route.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm

shdw633

Take a hard look at the Ruger American I have 2 of them and they are really great guns and won't be out shot by any of the other budget guns mentioned

I concur!! I have two of them and I like using my Rugers over all my other guns. I would definitely take a look at them.

Horns

I bought my son a TC Compass in 308 a couple years ago and mounted a Vortex Crossfire 2 on it. He had great success with it this season. 3 shot and 3 dead

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Last edited:

Dub

Hard to argue with the rifles already recommended.

Browning A-Bolt 3 & Savage 10 / 16's are others I'd also look at.

lonewolf247

Of the two you mentioned, I’d say the Patriot by a long shot!

If your looking for other suggestions, I’d say look at the full size Weatherby Vanguard/Howa. I personally think it’s the best bolt action under $800 or so.

I bought my son one in the .308 youth model, and it was an absolute hammer on deer. He’s outgrown that length now, and even though it comes with the spacers, we chose to leave it as a youth rifle, for other kids to borrow.

They come in several different stock options, but all are built on the same solid action, even the youth rifle.

Just me, but id hunt down a used Ruger M77 Compact in .308. 16.5" barrell and he can tote it for life. They're easy to find in the Hawkeye build. Fine rifle.

Reactions: Dub
Of the two you mentioned, I’d say the Patriot by a long shot!

If your looking for other suggestions, I’d say look at the full size Weatherby Vanguard/Howa. I personally think it’s the best bolt action under $800 or so.

I bought my son one in the .308 youth model, and it was an absolute hammer on deer. He’s outgrown that length now, and even though it comes with the spacers, we chose to leave it as a youth rifle, for other kids to borrow.

They come in several different stock options, but all are built on the same solid action, even the youth rifle.

I totally agree that in it's price range, the Weatherby Vanguard is likely tops. I purchased two Vanguard II carbines in .308 to give as gift rifles in 2016 & 2017. Both were quality rifles and very accurate. (y)

Latest posts