.243 or .270, what say YOU?

Time to vote

Votes: 9 14.1%

Votes: 47 73.4%
  • Something else MissouriBoy!

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters

MissouriBoy

Just left Academy. Held a wooden stock Mossberg Patriot .243 with a Vortex scope on it. Price wasn’t bad $500. I cannot decide between a .243 or .270 is my issue. I’ve fired a .270 before and enjoyed it. This gun will be used to deer hunt primarily in Missouri on our farm where we have 80 acres. Would the .243 be enough to shoot across a 15 acre bottom, and have enough left to knock a buck down, or should I just stick with my gut and go .270?

transfixer

Either will be fine, neither one will " knock a buck down " , but with proper placement either one will do the job, I prefer short action cartridges, mainly because they are usually more efficient/ more inclined to be consistently accurate than the larger long action type cartridges, I've hunted with a .243 for over 30yrs, put countless deer down with it, from 50yds to 275yds, using a 87gr bthp round I load myself, but all my shots are high shoulder, .270 will do the same, I've just never cared for the cartridge, nothing wrong with it, but you don't see many .270's in accuracy competitions, they're perfectly accurate enough for deer hunting, but I'll give the edge to a cartridge like .243, 7mm08,or .308 when it comes to shooting sub moa accuracy. doesn't mean a .270 can't do that, its just the case is larger, and harder to work consistent loads for,

baddave

243 for me and my lands.. i killed 3 this year w/ 243. i said lawd maud why have i been using a 30-06 all these years ? i know you didn't ask 30-06 but i have got to where i don't want or need anything long action. a little 80 gr. barnes copper bullet is totally devastating to a deer.

MissouriBoy

If you haven't bought it yet , you might want to look at some reviews on the Mossberg, some people have complained about accuracy with those, they bought them because of the stocks appearance, everyone says they are good looking rifles, but some were pretty disappointed with 3 inch or larger groups at 100yds
Tonight I was planning on looking them up. I took my 4 year old and 1.5 year old in with me, which is actually a good strategy. They get to fussing it’s and it’s easy “hand the weapon back and walk away.”
Funny you mention the stock, because that was what drew me in to that Mossberg. It was very nice. Interesting about the reviews so I’m going to have to study up. Thank you.

transfixer

243 for me and my lands.. i killed 3 this year w/ 243. i said lawd maud why have i been using a 30-06 all these years ? i know you didn't ask 30-06 but i have got to where i don't want or need anything long action. a little 80 gr. barnes copper bullet is totally devastating to a deer.

You got it figured out ! ^^^^^ I have an 06 that hasn't left my gun room in probably 20yrs, and doubt it will until my son inherits it.

MissouriBoy

My standard deer hunting rifle has been an older bolt action savage 30-30. Bout perfect for the brush in Missouri, but I’m wanting something with a scope now.