Anyone familiar with them?
Thanks.

Doug B.

Chris Mitchell Guitars.
Manufactured in Statesboro GA.
Thinking about buying one.
Anyone familiar with them?
Thanks.
I have never heard of them but I looked them up since you posted this. I am all acoustic so I don't know much about electric guitars, but I would love to see your review after you get it!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I have never heard of them but I looked them up since you posted this. I am all acoustic so I don't know much about electric guitars, but I would love to see your review after you get it!
10-4. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on one.

treemanjohn

Banned
After almost 4 decades of guitar collecting I would suggest to never buy a guitar unless you play and listen to it first. It's amazing how you can play 5 or 6 of the exact same guitar and MAYBE one will hit you in the heart. I have some ragged rough guitars that sound like the angels singing and some beauty queens that sound like tin cans banging in a pillowcase

I haven't heard of CMG, but I noticed there are 3 dealers in North Florida. I would take a drive if they have them in stock and do some picking. Another thing to keep in mind is that boutique builders guitars have very little after the sale value to the majority of folks. That of course means nothing if it's a keeper.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
After almost 4 decades of guitar collecting I would suggest to never buy a guitar unless you play and listen to it first. It's amazing how you can play 5 or 6 of the exact same guitar and MAYBE one will hit you in the heart. I have some ragged rough guitars that sound like the angels singing and some beauty queens that sound like tin cans banging in a pillowcase

I haven't heard of CMG, but I noticed there are 3 dealers in North Florida. I would take a drive if they have them in stock and do some picking. Another thing to keep in mind is that boutique builders guitars have very little after the sale value to the majority of folks. That of course means nothing if it's a keeper.
One of those dealers is an acquaintance of mine. I've bought several guitars from him over the years. He has one that I've played.
He's known Mitchell for years & highly recommends him.
One reason I'm still thinking about it is I don't like to buy "sight unseen". I'd much rather play it before I buy it. Hard to do when they're built by order though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

This. You can play a dozen seemingly identical Fender Telecasters, for example, and no two of them will be just alike. There are subtle differences. I want to play one before I buy it.

Never heard of these, but looking at their website, I would bet that they are good guitars. The Mark Tele would be my choice too, with single-coil pickups. Humbuckers just ain't right on a tele.

treemanjohn

Banned
One of those dealers is an acquaintance of mine. I've bought several guitars from him over the years. He has one that I've played.
He's known Mitchell for years & highly recommends him.
One reason I'm still thinking about it is I don't like to buy "sight unseen". I'd much rather play it before I buy it. Hard to do when they're built by order though.
I'm right there with you on sight unseen. I've gotten lucky in estate deals on vintage stuff though.

Here's several on reverb. Those stripeys look great. Maybe someone has the one you want in stock with a good return policy
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=cmg guitar

TomC

Not familiar with CMG but K-lines (LOVE THE SPRINGFIELDS), Kirn, Grosh, Whitfill, Tuttle, and Suhr are all slowly but surely sending me to the poor house! Let's not even talk about acoustics or amps! I've got to run down to Nashville in a week or two and my primary goal is to AVOID getting anywhere near Gruhns and Carters!

In terms of buying used check out classifieds at thegearpage.net as the prices on Reverb are inflated due to the Reverb fee.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I agree. I’m an old school purist. Single coil on Fender. Humbucker on Gibson.

Baloney :)

Last tele I did I used a Seymour duncan hotrodded humbucker set and coil split the neck. I spend more time on that one than any! Sometime this summer I hope to finish a p90 soapbar tele. Lookn forward to it.

treemanjohn

Banned
Baloney :)

Last tele I did I used a Seymour duncan hotrodded humbucker set and coil split the neck. I spend more time on that one than any! Sometime this summer I hope to finish a p90 soapbar tele. Lookn forward to it.
I have a p90 G&L ASAT . It's a screamer. One of my favorite guitars

OwlRNothing

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if you knew a reputable person to place a value on an old guitar, Treeman? I'm thinking about selling my father's Gibson this year I think. It's not doing me any good sitting in the closet collecting dust. I'm a drummer, not a picker or a grinner. :)

treemanjohn

Banned
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if you knew a reputable person to place a value on an old guitar, Treeman? I'm thinking about selling my father's Gibson this year I think. It's not doing me any good sitting in the closet collecting dust. I'm a drummer, not a picker or a grinner. :)
Just sent you a pm

How do know if a stage is level? No slobber is hanging from the corners of the drummers mouth :)