What is this gnarly joker…

Geffellz18

Went on a Joro killing spree yesterday evening and had some other bystanders get caught up in the slaughter-A few of these guys were in the mix.
Anyone know what kind of arachnid this is?
IMG_5615.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Worse thing about that spider is it’s alive, hate spiders. Yeah, I know balance and all that. Me thinks God had a bad moment when he thought those things up.

Toliver

Went on a Joro killing spree yesterday evening and had some other bystanders get caught up in the slaughter-A few of these guys were in the mix.
View attachment 1253355
That's just a common orb weaver. Harmless and catches a lot of unwanted insects.

Toliver

If you want to see a funny video, go to YouTube and look for Crack spider.

oldfella1962

A little off-topic but while not a spider (but it is an arachnid) camel spiders are pretty disturbing, and I sure don't miss them. Yes, the first pic is a camel spider fighting a scorpion. Apparently the guys in my unit were not the first ones to stage camel spider versus scorpion fights. :LOL:

camels.jpg
camels2.jpg

Anvil Head

Just so you know - you are never more than 7' from a spider during your average day/night. They are everywhere and all sizes. For the most part they are your friends in the bug control world.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That's just a common orb weaver. Harmless and catches a lot of unwanted insects.

I do my best to leave them things alone as I know they eat other bugs. If one gets on me it’s not likely to survive. If it’s gun season it may get noisy. facepalm::rofl:

Toliver

I have been bitten by more spiders than I can count but never the bad ones. I don't think much of it when I walk through a web other than just being annoyed with it being on my face. However, the only time I ever hunted DiLane and experienced the joro spider for the first time, I knew the playing field had changed. Had I walked through that web and got that big joker on me, there might have been shots heard amongst the yelling. I am still thankful my light hit that first one just before I walked into it. Man that looked like some Harry Potter spider cave stuff!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have been bitten by more spiders than I can count but never the bad ones. I don't think much of it when I walk through a web other than just being annoyed with it being on my face. However, the only time I ever hunted DiLane and experienced the joro spider for the first time, I knew the playing field had changed. Had I walked through that web and got that big joker on me, there might have been shots heard amongst the yelling. I am still thankful my light hit that first one just before I walked into it. Man that looked like some Harry Potter spider cave stuff!
I just put rods on the front of my ATV to pull down the webs as I drive before they get to me. That doesn’t stop the ones on the walk in/out.

PSA for those with diabetic symptoms, avoid spiders. Their bites don't heal well when diabetic. My kid got bit two years ago, been diabetic for awhile. He ended up needing a significant skin graft to deal with wound it made.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I just put rods on the front of my ATV to pull down the webs as I drive before they get to me. That doesn’t stop the ones on the walk in/out.

PSA for those with diabetic symptoms, avoid spiders. Their bites don't heal well when diabetic. My kid got bit two years ago, been diabetic for awhile. He ended up needing a significant skin graft to deal with wound it made.

I`ve been bitten twice by brown widows, two years in a row, and I`ve lost count how many times those green butterbean spiders have tagged me. As a new diabetic, I`m having to take extra care and not to mess with the stuff that bites back anymore. I can only imagine what a venomous snake bite would do to me now.

Especially since I`m not exactly following the diabetes rule book that the doctor gave me.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Rods help and a cheap trick is to zip tie green tree branches to your brushguard. It doesn't take long before you have a dozen or more spiders climbing all over the sticks!

I've got 3 spider bites just from this past weekend. It's normal for me as I'm always messing around in the woods. And I kill every dadgum one of them too! Sometimes I go out of my way to kill them!

Browning Slayer

Browning Slayer

View attachment 1253355
Looks like a barn (funnel weaver) spider. Cool spider!
barn-funnel-web-2.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I don’t have the pic of my kid handy or I would post. One crawled up his boots, nailed him on the shin. Made a wound about 6 inches long by 4 inches wide. Had to transplant skin from his lower back to his leg to get it to heal. It was about 8 months of misery for him. Spider bites and diabetics don’t mix well.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Toliver

Hillbilly stalker

That's the Joro we've been talking about. And the web is about the size of the hood on a full size pickup. Was that a bat or a hummingbird he caught?
Couldn’t tell, I wasnt gonna get rite up on him in case he had a taste for Hillbilly ( aka the other white meat). ::gone:I would have killed him but I didn’t wanna have to drag him outa there.:bounce:. I figured I better let him alone. I know for sure now.