bear creek

Fletch_W

Banned
If they let gheenoes out there for a tournament during a small craft advisory, then I see no reason they wouldn't let a kayak out there.

sweatequity

it says

non fishing boats, guess I will show up and find out.

sweatequity

what the heck does class A

mean anyway? All I can find is under 16 feet?

supernube

I was there when the idiots...I mean the authority made the final rules. They were really concerned with rowing boats. I don't really know why. I would consider a fishing kayak a fishing boat.

I have taken my kayak on the lake several times with no problems, but you never can tell what the morons who run the place will do. Remember that these are the same people who delayed the boat ramp for years because of the terrorist threat.:crazy:

Randall

I was there last weekend and saw four kayaks (two pairs)on the lake and they launched from the ramp.

Backlasher82

I was there when the idiots...I mean the authority made the final rules. They were really concerned with rowing boats. I don't really know why.

I think I know why they were concerned about allowing rowing boats, the rowing teams will attempt to absolutely take over any body of water or stretch of river they are allowed on.

For some reason they believe they are the only ones who matter on the water and get unreasonable and extremely rude to anyone else who dare attempt to use "their" water for any purpose other than to stand on the bank and watch them row. And I'm not sure they won't get upset at that, I never tried.:huh:

I was going to fish bearcreek from my kayak but after reading this .pdf, it states only class A boats and kayaks not allowed!

Am I reading this wrong?

http://www.bearcreekwtp.com/images/FishingRules.pdf

That's not the most current version of the regs, as I know they allow boats up to 20 feet. That was supposedly added so the landowners could putt around in their pontoon boats. Also some issue was made about human powered craft, and I'm pretty sure they were allowed too. Only thing that I don't think is allowed (other than gas motors) is sailboats.

Here are the current rules. Human powered craft are not prohibited.

Sec. 28-41. - Boating.

(a)

It shall be unlawful to operate a boat with a gasoline engine on Bear Creek Reservoir. It shall be unlawful to operate a boat greater than 20 feet in length on Bear Creek Reservoir.

(b)

All boat operators shall comply with all rules and regulations of the state department of natural resources regarding boat registration and display of validation decals.

(c)

It shall be unlawful for any boat operator to travel within 50 feet of the authority's water intake tower. It shall be unlawful for any boat operator to enter any restricted or prohibited areas of Bear Creek Reservoir.

(d)

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vessel for a fee or profit on the Bear Creek Reservoir waters and/or the authority's property.

(e)

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vessel in a careless, negligent, or reckless manner or in any manner that endangers any person (including the operator and occupants of the vessel) or property.

(f)

All vessels while in use on the Bear Creek Reservoir waters shall have all safety equipment, including without limitation personal flotation devices, on board in compliance with U.S. Coast Guard boating safety requirements and in compliance with boating safety laws issued and enforced by the state. The failure of any person operating a vessel on the Bear Creek Reservoir waters to comply with the above requirements shall be a violation of this article.

(g)

It shall be unlawful for any person to use any vessel on Bear Creek Reservoir waters for overnight occupancy or as a place of habitation or residence.

(h)

It shall be unlawful for any person to use water skis, parasails, ski kites, or any similar devices while on the authority's property.

(i)

It shall be unlawful for any person to place any vessel on the authority's property unless said vessel is either in actual operation or is moored or stored in an area designated and approved by the authority.

(j)

It shall be unlawful for any person to place any floating or stationary mooring facilities on, adjacent to, or interfering with a buoy, channel marker, or other navigational aid.

The rules (the enforceable ones anyway) are in the Jackson County Ordinances. http://library.municode.com/HTML/14...ml#PTIICOOR_CH28PARE_ARTIIRUREBECRRE_S28-41BO

Looks like you can even use a blow boat if you want to.

All the rules.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientid=14670

mean anyway? All I can find is under 16 feet?

That's what it means.

Class A boats are exempt from certain safety requirements that apply to larger boats, most notable, and mostly unknown by enforcement officials, the requirement to have a throwable PFD if you are wearing a PFD.

sweatequity

thanks for the replies

went today and didnt catch any bass but caught a few bream.

There were only about 8 boats on the lake all day.