What 22 mag round?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
These are the ones I have to have for accuracy in my Remington 597. Don't even know if they make them anymore, but every time I see theIMG_20181210_160203.jpgm I'll buy them out. I must have 10 or 12 full and partial boxes probably won't ever shoot that much in the remainder of my lifetime.
Winchester Super X.
40 grain with the REAL copper jacket and exposed lead soft point or hollow point. Not copper plated lead.
Also most accurate in my Contender 10 inch.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
These are the ones I have to have for accuracy in my Remington 597. Don't even know if they make them anymore, but every time I see theView attachment 952381m I'll buy them out. I must have 10 or 12 full and partial boxes probably won't ever shoot that much in the remainder of my lifetime.
Winchester Super X.
40 grain with the REAL copper jacket and exposed lead soft point or hollow point. Not copper plated lead.
Also most accurate in my Contender 10 inch.

I got a box of these minus maybe 3 or 5 that you can have......these split in my 928 and are the only FTEs I’ve ever had. And it’s bolt action!

Go with any CCI would be my recommendation and the TMJ tip is in mine. When I first got my 22 mag I shot the Remington poly tips and had no problems......ammo is cheap again and plentiful! At 100 yards, I noticed the TMJ got to the target quicker than hp’s and the wind didn’t effect flight as much.

earlthegoat2

I bang flopped a 90 lb sow with the Federal 50 gr back in 2010. Using that same round this year when I make it out for the first time since then.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I got a box of these minus maybe 3 or 5 that you can have......these split in my 928 and are the only FTEs I’ve ever had. And it’s bolt action!

Go with any CCI would be my recommendation and the TMJ tip is in mine. When I first got my 22 mag I shot the Remington poly tips and had no problems......ammo is cheap again and plentiful! At 100 yards, I noticed the TMJ got to the target quicker than hp’s and the wind didn’t effect flight as much.
Well have to hit up allatoona sometime this spring or at least do lunch... I'm in Roswell...
You could bring em along...:cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For hogs, I would go with the CCI TMJs or softpoints. I have no experience with the Federal 50g. I have shot a lot of the Hornady V-max, devastating round on varmints, but I don't know if they would penetrate on a hog.

Gator89

Definitely want FMJ or TMJ to get adequate penetration. If you miss the temple, you still have a chance of punching through.

Years ago, dude from a rendering company came to haul off a crippled cow from our farm. Fellow pulls out a brand new 22 mag loaded with hollow points. It was not pretty, he shot the old cow between the eyes at 10-12 steps, she just shook her head. After a few tries, he handed me the rifle. I got around to the side and shot between the eye and the ear, down she went. I felt sorry for the cow.

bany

Hornady 30 vmag has been the most accurate and deadly for me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hornady 30 vmag has been the most accurate and deadly for me.
How do they perform on hog-sized critters as far as penetration? Where do you shoot the hogs?

bany

In the head. I don’t recall one bouncing off like others have. I’m a lousy shot so I rarely hit the eye or ear hole!

bany

Of interest, that round shoots a bit lower than 40gr out of my gun.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd wondered how they'd perform on hogs, if they'd just blow up. I know they'll sure wreck a groundhog. And interestingly, they shoot about 2" higher at 100 yards out of my Marlin 25MN than the 40 grain CCIs.

frankwright

I have killed three pigs with the Fiocchi 40gr JSP ammo. I buy them online where I can find them.
All three pigs were head shot and bang flop!

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
CCI 40 gr game points I believe they are called. I shot 2 back in August. One took 2 steps and heaped up. The other ran 62 miles, jumped off a cliff, and was never recovered. Both head shots, but I think I goofed the shot on the fugitive critter