HPBT for Deer

7dawg9

I got a new AR-10 for next season. A buddy recommended I try the 168 gr HPBT. I've never used that round before, I'd appreciate y'all's wisdom !

wareagle700

Great bullet for accuracy, not the best choice for game. They do work, but there are bullets designed for taking game that are better constructed for the job. Just like there are some accurate hunting bullets, but you don't see anyone winning matches with sierra gamekings. ;)

ETA: I am assuming you were recommended HPBT match bullets. My post is based off that anyway.

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

tons of info

Here's a thread I started 2 years ago on this same question. It's got tons of info on it from various reliable sources and first-hand accounts.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=692707&highlight=

I have used the match hollowpoints for deer hunting, but I can't say that I know they worked great. I got one deer, but I fired at three. Did I maybe wound either of the other two? The one I got left a lot of blood and didn't get far at all. For the others, I didn't see blood in the grass, but the weeds were tall and it was windy... I assume I missed them clean, but I can't be sure.

Since I'm not SURE that 168 gr. Match King bullets are great for hunting deer, why not have peace of mind by getting a bullet made specifically for big game hunting? Something that's made not to fragment on those 50-yard shots (2500 f.p.s.), but which will still expand on a 300-yard shot where the bullet might only be going 2000 f.p.s. on impact.

But most of the other people who have used them report dead deer that don't go far. Most people who used them did so successfully, but a couple folks had issues and don't consider them the best choice.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

Sierra makes a whole line of Game King Hollow Point Boat Tails .... made for big game hunting... these are not "Match" type bullets per say ... but they shoot dang good groups too!

I've shot some of the .257 120 gr HPBT Gamekings in my 25/06 ... they work very well for me ...

chuckdog

No hollow point would be my first choice for deer size game.

Most 168 .308's are match bullets that may or may not work well. Match bullets are designed for utmost accuracy, nothing more.

No TT contest, just better choices for deer.

Great bullet for accuracy, not the best choice for game. They do work, but there are bullets designed for taking game that are better constructed for the job. Just like there are some accurate hunting bullets, but you don't see anyone winning matches with sierra gamekings. ;)

ETA: I am assuming you were recommended HPBT match bullets. My post is based off that anyway.

What he said X 2.

If you are talking about match bullets, they are not good for deer. I've had people tout them to me, but they can explain one single way they are better than bullets built for the purpose.

And yes, I've used them, and yes, I've had incredibly long tracks that verged on losing the deer because I used them. An "expert" told me they were the thing to use, and I believed him because he was, after all, an "expert." That was back in the day before the Internet, so if an "expert" told you, it had to be true, just like the internet. The Sierra GK's are good, off the shelf, you will be hard pressed to beat good ol' Core Lokts. Nothing against the latest and greatest wonder bullet, but there's a reason Core Lokts have been in continuous production forever.

watermedic

The 30 cal HPBT Gameking by Sierra is 165 grains not 168 grains.

They are devastating in anything from a .308 Win to a .300 Ultra Mag I know first hand.

Pick your shots wisely. They create a lot of damage.

There is an issue with the magnum calibers causing the bullet to separate after impact. I wouldn't use them on Moose or Brown Bear. They are fine for deer, hog and black bear sized game though.