New to Turkey Hunting

eshoremd

If you're into podcast checkout The Turkey Hunter Podcast with Andy Gagliano.

Hours and hours of great info and you can listen and learn while you drive.

Bubba_1122

True on the patience kills birds.

I hunted 6 seasons before I killed my first bird. Have kilt limits each of the last 3 seasons. Attribute it to a friend that went with me several years ago. I learned that less is usually best and that soft is usually better than loud (the gobbler really ain't looking to have a conversation - he's looking for love).

When I quit overcalling I started killing birds.

I got a whole lot left to learn about turkeys but toning it down sure changed my results.

Last edited:

bnew17

Locator calls are overrated. I only them when I am trying to pinpoint a bird way off and that is rare. Practice clucking and purring on a slate call. You can kill birds all day long clucking, purring, and raking the leaves beside you.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Locator calls are overrated. I only them when I am trying to pinpoint a bird way off and that is rare. Practice clucking and purring on a slate call. You can kill birds all day long clucking, purring, and raking the leaves beside you.

Best advice you could ever give him. With long breaks in between.

JCS1993

Thank you all!

Thank you all for your responses to my questions. I have talked with quite a few hunters that I go to church with and work with. A couple of them have graciously invited me to go with them a few times so I can watch what they do.

I have been to three WMAs just to sit for a few hours and listen. This has gone well and I've heard a few gobbles after sitting for quite a while.

In the past couple of months, I've purchased and been practicing with a few mouth calls, a crow call, and a box call. I will certainly put the advice many of you have given me of call soft and not very much.

As for my other gear, I've purchased boots that will be comfortable to walk long distances in, cheap camo pants and a face mask/neck gaiter. I still need a comfortable long sleeve camo shirt and vest for my gear.

Again, thank you all for your advice and recommendations. I am incredibly excited about this season and excited to just get in the woods and see if one will come my way.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like u are on the rt track , some more good advice is to not give up , sometimes even for a seasoned turkey hunter it can seem that nothing can go rt , I’ve been chasing these crazy birds for close to 30 yrs and have been fairly successful , and last season was probably my worst, I killed my only bird on May 11 , hope u have a great season ! Looking forward to hearing about your hunts successful or not