Your Favorite Multi-Tool?

gordwa

I had the original leatherman forever till i lost them a few years back and replaced them with the gerber.The gerber is is really nice too accept the pliers suck as they kind of flop around and they dont close down hard on any thing.Especially if your trying to remove a fish hook or something.

Dr. Strangelove

I've had the orginal Leatherman for 25 years or so. It lives in the center console of my Jeep, I also wear it when I go fishing.

The handles are a little on the flimsy side and can dig into your hands when using the pliers, but it's a whole lot lighter than most of the new versions I have picked up. The original has all the tools I need. It's meant to get you out of a jam, not be a belt-mounted tool chest.

The new ones seem like like the bigger Swiss Army knives to me, a neat concept but too much to carry around all the time.

specialk

I have an original leatheman.......it serves me well...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gerber, definitely. The Leatherman feels awkward and flimsy to me, and takes two hands to open. Gerber has a lifetime warranty that they stand behind, also- or at least they used to.

Oldstick

Have had a Gerber for 17 years or more. I love it, and it has held up it's sharpness all that time. As others, mentioned, the single handed snap open of the pliers is a very handy feature.

The pliers, knife blade, and serrated blade are the 3 I have used most often. But it can be awkward to handle (as opposed to a traditional knife handle) so be careful with it. I almost sliced off half my thumb in 2001, cutting strips of blaze orange fabric for trail markers.

NOYDB

BANNED
I wore my Gerber 365 on my belt. It saved $$$ and time when I was driving 18 wheeler and had to fix small things on my rig or trailer. Wore on all fishing and hunting trips.

I customised my own configuration by combining three different models together to get the tools I wanted. Before they started the custom ordering. You used to be able to order one the way you wanted it, but there are required tools that I didn't want.

When It wasn't appropriate to wear a tool sheath I started carrying a mini. After trying a bunch I settled on the gerber dime model.

I found the scissors tool often very useful and used that a lot.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I'll be following this. I want to get one to leave in the console of my truck. I have seen Gerber and Leatherman at Walmart but didn't know if that was their "cheap version" or what. Local hardware store seems to carry better versions of both makes along with other brands(more variety and more expensive). Walmart seems to carry them in the $9.99-$40 range.

Got both Gerber and Leatherman, one or the other always with me and use them almost everyday.

As to the price range? You get what you pay for. ;)

red neck richie

I'll be following this. I want to get one to leave in the console of my truck. I have seen Gerber and Leatherman at Walmart but didn't know if that was their "cheap version" or what. Local hardware store seems to carry better versions of both makes along with other brands(more variety and more expensive). Walmart seems to carry them in the $9.99-$40 range.

I bought the Ozark trail at Walmart. I keep it in my pack when I'm in the woods, It has come in handy on several occasions. I like it for the price and for as often as I use it. It does everything I need it to do. If it is something you use a lot I would go with the leatherman but if you just use it on occasion I wouldn't spend the money.

hipster dufus

used a gerber for the llast 20 yrs i worked. easy open ,one hand. have one in every vehicle now. had leatherman, still liked the gerber.

hayseed_theology

Right now, the Leatherman Skeletool CX and the Gerber Center-Drive have my attention. I like the lightweight and bare necessities approach of the Skeletool. On the Gerber, I like the center-aligned axis of the screwdriver and ability to use standard bits. It also has the one hand operation feature, but is much bigger and heavier than the Skeletool.

Ben Athens

I had a Leatherman for many years and I liked it a lot. A TSA agent owns it now ! I replaced it with another leatherman.

GA native

I keep an Ace Hardware knockoff Leatherman in my tackle box. It covers almost every job I run into on the lake. The most used tool on it is the bottle opener.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Another Gerber fan. Mine stays in my truck console and goes fishing with me.

YankeeRedneck

I found a Leatherman sidekick at Home Depot for $15 not bad at all. I have an original Leatherman I found in an intersection years ago carry that one in the woods.
I love them!!

hayseed_theology

So, to follow up on this thread - I ended up getting a Skeletool CX for Christmas. I wear it everyday and love it. I use it as a pocket knife more than anything, but the screwdriver and pliers come in handy when needed. So far, it is everything I need, and nothing I don't.

jrickman

Original Leatherman PST for 25 years now. Heavy use daily for the first 10 years or so, and now it is more or less just a pocketknife with a few tricks up its sleeve.

The pliers are tougher than they feel. I've seen so many Gerber pliers snapped off at the base of the jaw when I was a helicopter mechanic in the USMC I couldn't tell you how many, but it was enough that they were almost banned from the flight line because of the foreign object damage hazard. About the only thing I ever saw broke on the Leatherman PSTs was the knife tip. That said, the original PST is rough on the hands when using the pliers, so if you are buying a multitool mainly to use the pliers a lot, I'd look elsewhere.