6.5-300wby

deast1988

What's yalls thoughts on this round?

My Rig Mark V Arroyo, Warne mountain tech rail, Warne Mountain tech rings. Got a Nikon Black X-1000 scope 4x16.

Aiming for field hunting deer/coyotes with it.

SC Hunter

Its going to be super quick and flat. A friend of mine made a 6.5wsm and all animals hate it! I would think the 6.5-300 would be the same.

Dub

Sweet sounding rig.

I went to Weatherby's webpage and poked around for the first time in ages to look at your gun.

Looks like a well finished performer.

I always wanted an Accumark, but didn't want to spend the coin on it.

That round is a screamer that should reach out and get 'em. Looks like they have some capable factory loads for it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't know if I would try to shoot anything inside of 400 yards with it that you want to keep :D

deast1988

Sweet sounding rig.

I went to Weatherby's webpage and poked around for the first time in ages to look at your gun.

Looks like a well finished performer.

I always wanted an Accumark, but didn't want to spend the coin on it.

That round is a screamer that should reach out and get 'em. Looks like they have some capable factory loads for it.

I'll have it all put together this week. I think I'll shoot scirroco 2s through it. Want to try the 140 bergers aswell.
It'll be a finished 10lb rig won't be good for long hikes but should be a nice field rifle.

GregoryB.

Are you set up to reload for it ? I know from experience that quality ammo for anything Weatherby is expensive.

deast1988

I do reload and plan to for this

deast1988

Hmm...wonder who that is

Should have more case capacity than the WSM

I have a few 142 ABLR if you wanted to try them and can't find any...know I have plenty of 129 ABLR

Thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind.

My creedmoor loves 140gr bergers. Doing my research they say the 130gr stuff gives higher BC over the Barnes bullets. I could imagine a 140 Berger at 3350fps should be bad news.

What I've read is Nosler and Weatherby are not working on this one do to .26nosler competiton.

So loaded nosler stuff won't be available anytime soon for it.

Shooting Times just covered a 6.5prs that's a 300rcm Neckeddown something to See how it does.

I went with weatherby over the wildcat heritage and they tend to keep the weatherby calibers in production seeing so many come and go.

I should have it all put together by this coming weekend it'll be slow project to get rolling by this fall.

Last edited:

Dub

Will the normal Weatherby freebore help to prolong the barrel life of this one ?

deast1988

I read 800/1000 depending on how harsh you are on it.

I have a .7RUM, I loaded some 140ttsx for I don't it much check zero and hunt. A 100rds has lasted me 7/8years and I'm down to 15 so gotta load some up for it this year.

A 1000rds should last me forever as far as a hunting set up. I'll zero for 300, shoot it out to 600. Get a good feel for the scope and rifle. Last fall I had several I let walk at the 375/425yd range this fall I'll be ready.

My farthest deer shot to date was 372yds with a 300wsm.

But this one should be easier to shoot over long range. Faster less drop,

watermedic

1000 rds may be stretching it depending on the accuracy you are wanting. That's a lot of powder burning in a small bore.

Buckstop

Screaming for sure. Short barrel life but what the heck, enjoy while it lasts and re-barrel to that or whatever has your interest when it starts to decline.

SC Hunter

Hmm...wonder who that is

Should have more case capacity than the WSM

I have a few 142 ABLR if you wanted to try them and can't find any...know I have plenty of 129 ABLR

Some crazy guy that likes guns a lot! He'll be building me a 260 in the near future.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Shiloh?

He built 3 of the 6.5 WSMs. His, another fella's, and mine. They are a nasty beast too with 140 SSTs.

Back on track
I bet the 147 ELD-X might be a good one to try in the 6.5-300 WBY too.
I can't wait to see the results you get deast. I know the WSM uses 8 MOA up at 606 yards... if you are curious about the differences...I know I am.

Dub

Screaming for sure. Short barrel life but what the heck, enjoy while it lasts and re-barrel to that or whatever has your interest when it starts to decline.

True dat.

Looking forward to seeing this gun stretch it's legs at the range and in the field.

Hoping he takes us along for the ride.

SC Hunter

Shiloh?

He built 3 of the 6.5 WSMs. His, another fella's, and mine. They are a nasty beast too with 140 SSTs.

Back on track
I bet the 147 ELD-X might be a good one to try in the 6.5-300 WBY too.
I can't wait to see the results you get deast. I know the WSM uses 8 MOA up at 606 yards... if you are curious about the differences...I know I am.

Shiloh is correct. I thought about getting him to build me one but i have a 270 wsm as it is that I dont shoot. Haha

deast1988

I picked it up took to another smith they called scopes mounted should be able to post pictures this evening. It'll be ready for the range. Got to figure out ammo, I think a box of factory 127gr LRX till I get stuff to do a batch of reloads.

deast1988

Mark V Arroyo 6.5-300wby
Warne Mountain tech rail Mark V 9lug
Warne Moutain tech Bases medium

Nikon BlackX1000 4x16-50mm illuminated

4 should get if I have it in the woods. 16 should let me stretch its legs if I get the chance. Turning on the reticle for DayBreak/dusk.

I have some spots I can see out to around 600yds. I have a range out to 850yds. It'll be cool to see how it does and if I get comfortable with it I might stretch its legs.