Food plots are baiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We hunt peanut fields as much as anyone else....we just add corn to them as well. :biggrin2:

Aaaaand there it is. Conspicuous consumption. ::ke::bounce:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Well if the legislature legalizes statewide baiting over corn, they will be ignoring the professional wildlife biologists.

I killed a deer many years ago at a WMA.Their were 4 biologists at the check in station. I ask them how old my 125 lb field dressed 8 pt was.1 said 2 1/2,1 said 3 1/2,1 said 4 1/2 and one said 1 1/2.Everyone has an opinion not all are correct.

44magpastor

You're right, I don't like baiting. It's cheating and it's a disease transmission vector. That's a twofer.

I think the majority of them base their opinions on the science and the data. The science and data are just inconvenient for people who want to bait.

I guess you get to define cheating, and determine which disease transmission vectors are worse than others.....on behalf of us all.

As to the science and data that goes into wildlife studies:

I have no doubt biologists use science and data. I also have no doubt that their conclusions are HEAVILY influenced by established opinions of professors, peers, and other professionals. There is a LOT of bias in this field and its naive to suggest otherwise.

Suppose elfii is a wildlife professor at UGA. You fundamentally don't like baiting and any study you were to conduct would be heavily influenced by that established opinion. If you were a professor and asked your students to study the relationship of baiting to CWD.....The findings of those students would be heavily influenced by your opinions. You know it and I know it.

Are ALL wildlife management studies biased and untrustworthy? No. But I would wager most of the people who "use data and science" to prove baiting is bad, felt that way before collecting the first piece of information.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Has CWD become prevalent in the southern zone in the last few years since baiting has been legal?

Not around me.
We know to spread the corn out and not pile it up like the northern zone folks.:stir::rofl:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yeap. Common sence tells me a lot. Like if I swing a hammer and miss the nail and hit my finger it hurts.
It also tells me if deer are in the swamp, put corn down the road and feed them up. Less of a drag to the truck.
After all I’m older now and wiser. Drive truck to deer. Makes sence to me.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Yeap. Common sence tells me a lot. Like if I swing a hammer and miss the nail and hit my finger it hurts.
It also tells me if deer are in the swamp, put corn down the road and feed them up. Less of a drag to the truck.
After all I’m older now and wiser. Drive truck to deer. Makes sence to me.

Smashing your finger isn't about common sense, it's about skill. It would tell me to go to the swamp. That way I'm hunting deer, I'm the hunter, and the deer aren't hunting corn. At the rate it's going, the govt. will be handing out food stamps for corn.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Yeap..
After all I’m older now and wiser. Drive truck towards the corn pile. Shoot deer at corn pile from the truck. Drive truck over to pick up deer. Makes sence to me.

Fixed it for ya

Meriwether Mike

Baiting bill is in committee today. Be sure and contact your reps on the committee to voice your opposition.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Suppose elfii is a wildlife professor at UGA. You fundamentally don't like baiting and any study you were to conduct would be heavily influenced by that established opinion. If you were a professor and asked your students to study the relationship of baiting to CWD.....The findings of those students would be heavily influenced by your opinions. You know it and I know it.

I can top that. I've been a CPA for 30 years. I don't care how much I like the client or how badly I want them to succeed. The only thing that matters to me is the data. Opinions don't count in my business. "The bottom line" is all that matters.

And yes, any disease transmission vector that is an artificial one is worse than the naturally occurring ones. You should be able to figure out why on your own.

As for the cheating part I responded honestly to your comment:

The bottom line is this, in my opinion: A lot of people simply don't like baiting, and disease transmission is just a means to justify that position.

Now it's your turn to be intellectually honest and admit you just want to use bait, hang the risk to the deer population.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Smashing your finger isn't about common sense, it's about skill. It would tell me to go to the swamp. That way I'm hunting deer, I'm the hunter, and the deer aren't hunting corn. At the rate it's going, the govt. will be handing out food stamps for corn.

I missed my finger. Hit the nail.
Food stamps for corn. Where did that come from. :rofl:
I don’t care if u go to the swamp and kill the deer.
I’m shooting it in the road eating corn out the window of my truck. And proud of it.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I missed my finger. Hit the nail.
Food stamps for corn. Where did that come from. :rofl:
I don’t care if u go to the swamp and kill the deer.
I’m shooting it in the road eating corn out the window of my truck. And proud of it.

Lol. It just came out. They want corn legal. They'll be voting for corn assistance next. Just get somebody to shoot them for you. You can sit in the truck and listen to the radio and drink coffee and never get cold. Keep from inflicting more pain on that smashed trigger finger. haha Heck, they can load the deer too. Maybe cook it and put the fork to your lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.