Food plots are baiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
And food plots are totally fair???? ::ke:

Same as hunting over a harvested peanut field is fair or hunting a cut alfalfa hay field is fair. Isn't that what y'all do down there in South Georgia? I sure would.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Food plots are no different than briars or any other browse in the woods. It's growing vegetation out of the ground. It's the fact it's a wide open spot that drives corn beggars nuts. Some briars in the Midwest have as high protein as alfalfa due to the soil. I sit and watch deer eat wheat in strips and then walk in the briars and browse in there just as long. If you gathered all the tender wheat at the right time of growth, the rape after a couple of frosts, and next summers clover, and the threw the crap in a pile, it may start to get equal to corn(to some does with young ones, that's what you usually see in a plot). Watching them eat privet(12.9% protein) in a flood plain with a plot 100 yards away is amusing too. Corn beggars just need to sit on their corn pile and enjoy themselves.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Same as hunting over a harvested peanut field is fair or hunting a cut alfalfa hay field is fair. Isn't that what y'all do down there in South Georgia? I sure would.

I hunt clearcuts where timber has cut every tree from oaks to pines. No turkeys cause they sprayed to kill the green weeds with hens in them. Our little area looks like a Moab hit. We keep it knowing it will grow back and maybe we can get some turkeys back. Deer do ok. Hogs do great.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My little food plots are about 1/4 acres where they use to set equipment to cut. Pines will grow back. Few years good cover and food.

red neck richie

I hunt clearcuts where timber has cut every tree from oaks to pines. No turkeys cause they sprayed to kill the green weeds with hens in them. Our little area looks like a Moab hit. We keep it knowing it will grow back and maybe we can get some turkeys back. Deer do ok. Hogs do great.

A lot of that up here too Kmack. A lot of folks had to clear cut their land and sell the timber to keep it during the Obama recession.

shdw633

There is no difference between putting a foodplot in the middle of the woods or piling up some corn in the same area as far as fairness goes but that's for each hunter to decide as both attract deer to an area They might not otherwise go to. We hunt peanut fields as much as anyone else....we just add corn to them as well. :biggrin2:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A lot of that up here too Kmack. A lot of folks had to clear cut their land and sell the timber to keep it during the Obama recession.

We hang on and try to improve what we have. We have good deer. Once it gets thick everywhere again we will have very good deer. Turkeys will take a while.

lampern

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/10/01/mdwfp-deer-biologist-baiting-hunting/73137266/

The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks Deer Program leader has resigned amid recent controversy over the legalization of hunting deer over bait.

Lann Wilf, Deer Program leader, tendered his resignation to the department on Sept. 16, just before the Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks gave final passage to a wildlife supplemental feeding regulation change.

And guess what? Mississippi has CWD!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Guess what in the 50tys we had the screw worm.
Guess what this year humans had the flu bug.

rosewood

Has CWD become prevalent in the southern zone in the last few years since baiting has been legal?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I do not know anybody that plants food plots, that don't expect to see deer show up in them. I feed corn year around but do not hunt over it, and baiting has been legal here for 50 years. I do hunt the trail they establish going back and forth from it. I usually kill one deer a year and most of the time it will be a doe. We all take advantage of any edge we can get to get our deer. The main problem I have is when people complain about the way other people hunt. People act like shooting a deer over corn is as easy as getting out of bed in the morning and putting your shoes on. I don't know where these people hunt, but I have been running a trail cam over the spot where I feed corn. I got thousands of pictures, but not one of them is a decent buck during daylight. I have a lot better chance of taking a nice deer in my food plot. I love food plots.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Doing my part here to move it along. It's been around long enough to start going a little stale, all things CORNsidered.

Status
Not open for further replies.