How many Don't hunt over bait, or food plots?

Buckstop

Does hunting over does standing in a plot or road with corn count as baiting for bucks? Technically I'm using the does, not the plot or corn. Or do the does need to be eating acorns to be not considered baiting?

buckpasser

I’m with @Browning Slayer on this. I like to give myself the best opportunity possible. Where there’s a lot of pressure, you can find my up high over bedding or acorns. If you were to get invited to where I work, you may as well sit in a Redneck blind over a four acre food plot with feeders standing in them, cause the deer, including big bucks have zero issue walking around out there 24/7.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I’m with @Browning Slayer on this. I like to give myself the best opportunity possible. Where there’s a lot of pressure, you can find my up high over bedding or acorns. If you were to get invited to where I work, you may as well sit in a Redneck blind over a four acre food plot with feeders standing in them, cause the deer, including big bucks have zero issue walking around out there 24/7.
Then there is this whole other experience I LOVE! It's called "seeing deer". Hunting on my place last year I think I might have had 1 sit that I did not see a deer the entire time. Then I had mornings where I saw 9 different bucks. The deer at my place don't get a lot of pressure. And we don't normally shoot does. We've killed 3 does in 7 years??

I listen to people constantly talk about hunting and not seeing anything. I see it in the live from the tree threads. I think I will use everything and tactic to my advantage. I also hunt all seasons and will be in the woods on Saturday. Killed 2 bucks with a rifle for the 1st time in 5 years last year cause I've been getting them with a muzzleloader or crossbow.

sportsman94

I hunt a couple plots on some small properties. I enjoy walking down to them right at last light if I feel like shooting a deer. I mostly bow hunt and choose to hunt funnels on these properties 99% of the time. I look forward to bringing my kids with me out there so they can see lots of deer. I get a lot more joy out of scouting and finding natural food sources, but can only do so much on 20 acres. I spend a lot of early season on wmas looking for feed trees. I don’t hunt over corn much. Mostly because the time and money to keep it out. On the 20 acre tract I hunt two neighbors run feeders so it seems better for me to just minimize pressure and keep something green growing for them.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We planted a plot in Nov. one Saturday
deer where all over it in 1 hour. Wife shot a doe that afternoon. Guess we got one over a dirt plot.

Browning Slayer

We planted a plot in Nov. one Saturday
deer where all over it in 1 hour. Wife shot a doe that afternoon. Guess we got one over a dirt plot.

Did it have a different taste?

Browning Slayer

Just checked. Foodplot I planted Saturday is coming up! Can't wait to see the 3/4 acre plot planted to the right of this pic on Saturday!
food.jpg

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Then there is this whole other experience I LOVE! It's called "seeing deer". Hunting on my place last year I think I might have had 1 sit that I did not see a deer the entire time. Then I had mornings where I saw 9 different bucks. The deer at my place don't get a lot of pressure. And we don't normally shoot does. We've killed 3 does in 7 years??

I listen to people constantly talk about hunting and not seeing anything. I see it in the live from the tree threads. I think I will use everything and tactic to my advantage. I also hunt all seasons and will be in the woods on Saturday. Killed 2 bucks with a rifle for the 1st time in 5 years last year cause I've been getting them with a muzzleloader or crossbow.
I agree it gives a advantage.
Whether it's plots or corn a person knows chances are they are gonna see deer. When you have does the bucks will be there!

If you don't have confidence in your area you won't hunt as hard or as often.
"confidence is everything when you are hunting big whitetail deer" - Stan Potts

I don't have a tractor but I will soon and I will still put out corn.

Here's a good mix recipe that I use and I get 1,000's of pics every year - pour out corn, rice bran, & cherry kool-aid.
I see deer every time i go!

Browning Slayer

I don't have a tractor but I will soon and I will still put out corn.

You don't need a tractor to have nice food plots. That's a myth.

Browning Slayer

It's mostly Bush hogging and clearing that I need it for.

Sprayer and a 4wheeler will get a lot of what you want done. My Honda is my work horse from discing, spraying and spreading.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The heck with bait, it's good to keep does in the area, but I don't sit and watch any. I had rather hunt the thick ecotones and call them in. It's the challenge I like.

DAVE

Asking someone if they hunt over bait is like asking if they beat their wife and kids, nobody wants to admit it. Based on responses in this thread it seems to be a lot of shame associated with hunting over feeders. My opinion is if you are hunting a property with feeders you are hunting bait even if you are in the woods watching a trail that you should know leads right to that feeder. Happy hunting to all and some things should be kept secret and certain questions should never be asked.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Asking someone if they hunt over bait is like asking if they beat their wife and kids, nobody wants to admit it. Based on responses in this thread it seems to be a lot of shame associated with hunting over feeders. My opinion is if you are hunting a property with feeders you are hunting bait even if you are in the woods watching a trail that you should know leads right to that feeder. Happy hunting to all and some things should be kept secret and certain questions should never be asked.
Well I guess with that Theory even if u have no feeders or plots. The trail may come from your neighbor who has a feeder and plot. So the deer maybe coming from it or 2 it.

Blackston

Ain’t no shame in my GAME 3696A8A4-D254-4A9C-9D20-B840580F4FEF.pngF994C50E-5B31-4428-9357-9671AFBA3595.jpeg1182D6B6-B7CF-4375-9C03-B6804E31E373.jpegD8DB2929-37A6-4C76-84B6-52C5407920DA.jpeg

Latest posts