Tagged out after old GW paid us a visit...

nick_o_demus

Well... we set out early to listen for some birds. The whiperwills were the only ones talking. After hearing some distant gobbling Pop and I split up. Around ten I text him to see what he was thinking. Leave? Stay? He responded with; "Game Warden is headed your way". He walked right up to me. He checked my gun and equipment, license and made sure I had no electronic calls. He was a nice fella just doing his job. He told me several birds had been checked in around midday lately. He walked on and pops and I loaded up on the 4 wheeler and left GW to hike out. Lol. It's quite a walk I might add. So after a sandwich and some cold drinks dad and I headed back out. He dropped me off where we had listened earlier and decided to split up again. As I was walking I saw a bird cut across the trail I was intending to hunt down, so I circled around him and got in front of him, or at least where I thought he would go. I sat down in front of a pile of brush from the select cut last year around 12 and gave a few series of yelps on my Beard Hunter slate. A while later I saw his head bobbing through the tall grass about 70 yards out. I watched him walk up the trail for a several minutes before he finally made his way in front of my shotgun. BOOM! He flopped over another pile of brush and down into the woods. I thought I'd missed him. Found him at the base of a tree. 12:45. Tagged out!!! It's been one heck of a season for us!! And the only time I've ever tagged out. God is good, hunting is good! Now to see if we can strike up a bird for dad tomorrow morning.

deast1988

Congrats, later it gets the more earned they become. Good looking shotgun an fantastic hunt.

nick_o_demus

Thanks guys. We were unable to ge dad on one. Set up on some at first light. No clue where they went. Didn't even hear them fly down. We'll try again next weekend.

wvdawg

Staff member
With the exception of Mr. Green Jeans, it was an awesome weekend again - even if I didn't get to see a live bird.
Congrats on your first tag-out! Well done this year. I am proud of you.

nick_o_demus

With the exception of Mr. Green Jeans, it was an awesome weekend again - even if I didn't get to see a live bird.
Congrats on your first tag-out! Well done this year. I am proud of you.

Thanks, pops! It's been a fun year for sure. Hope we can get you tagged out next weekend.

Gaswamp

good job. glad you are ahead of the ole man

nick_o_demus

good job. glad you are ahead of the ole man

Thank you, sir. It's a rare feet... The old man usually has a way of knowing where the birds will be and he's earned every one he's taken. Never seen a person with more patience nor one who can sit still that long.