Drying herbs

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Have started drying Basil this year and will also dry Oregano. What other herbs do you grow and dry?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I tried to grow some herbs once; I had a good thyme.:D

ilbcnu

my momma had two bay trees when we were coming up, one on the left and one on the right of our back porch those things got 40 foot tall by the time i finished high school. you could sit on the front porch and the skeeters would tear you up but you could sit on the back all evening long and never get bit. she would put those leaves in soup, sketti, lasagna and just about everything else. they will grow good on southwest side of any environment that is well drained and you can keep them short kind of like a banzi tree hated rakin em up every fall though

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil. Fennel and coriander seeds. I also dry peppers and grind them into chile powder.

Clifton Hicks

Two things which grow abundantly as weeds around GA and TN (and are good for drying) are goldenrod and sassafras leaves.

Goldenrod makes a good winter time medicine tea and the sassafras leaves, dried and rubbed into a powder, make "File' Powder," the spicy, savory flavor found in a lot of Cajun and Indian cooking.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Two things which grow abundantly as weeds around GA and TN (and are good for drying) are goldenrod and sassafras leaves.

Goldenrod makes a good winter time medicine tea and the sassafras leaves, dried and rubbed into a powder, make "File' Powder," the spicy, savory flavor found in a lot of Cajun and Indian cooking.

Are you using just any goldenrod for tea, or the odora that has the anise flavor?