How Do You Pronounce Acorns?

What Do You Say?

• Total voters

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I get you with lonmore, that's what I cut my grass with too. :D The way you say the rest is how most southern mountain folk talk.

Waspers. :bounce:

You're both rong. It's just plain ole more. And you don't mow the grass. You cut it.:biggrin2:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You're both rong. It's just plain ole more. And you don't mow the grass. You cut it.:biggrin2:

Yankees "cut the lawn." We "mow the yard." ::ke:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

"North" Carolina. ::ke::bounce:

Down here in Georgia we cut the grass. We don't have "lawns". If you have a "lawn" you are a Yankee and if all you're going to cut is the yard you're shiftless and lazy because the pasture needs to be cut and baled and the 4x4's stacked in the barn.:biggrin2:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was a big ol boy before we even had grass in the yard. Mama kept a "swept" yard for a long time.

Some of ya`ll might know what that was.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I was a big ol boy before we even had grass in the yard. Mama kept a "swept" yard for a long time.

I do indeed. Some people raked their dirt. The lines from the rake tines all had to be straight though or you had to start over.:biggrin2:

grouper throat

Acurns., like ac-urns. Picked it up from my dad's family. He and my grandmother who grew up in SC Ga, always called a window a "winder" too.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter

Yes, I agree that you cut grass. :D

Let's ask our resident grass guru what he calls it, and settle this once and for all. :bounce:

Not familiar with that term.

Acurns., like ac-urns. Picked it up from my dad's family. He and my grandmother who grew up in SC Ga, always called a window a "winder" too.

Dad says winder. :rofl:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes, I agree that you cut grass. :D

Let's ask our resident grass guru what he calls it, and settle this once and for all. :bounce:

Not familiar with that term.

Dad says winder. :rofl:

Back then a lot of rural folks kept their yards cleared of grass all the way down to bare dirt. For several reasons. No lawnmower, no chance of wildfire or field and woods burning coming in and setting the house on fire, and chilluns could play in the yard and not worry about rattlesnakes.

I still know of two old folks around this area that keep a swept yard.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Back then a lot of rural folks kept their yards cleared of grass all the way down to bare dirt. For several reasons. No lawnmower, no chance of wildfire or field and woods burning coming in and setting the house on fire, and chilluns could play in the yard and not worry about rattlesnakes.

I still know of two old folks around this area that keep a swept yard.

Yes, sir, that makes perfect sense. I'm sure dad has heard that before.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
you ain't lived til you have baled hay in August and put it in the barn.

never will forget when I was about 13 or 14. We were baling hay, loading on daddy old 64 GMC pickup. We had it stacked way high too. Daddy was driving to the barn. Said weren't no use to tie them down, cause we ain't going 1/2 a mile. Daddy went cattie corner cross a drainage ditch to cross the main road, and dumped over 1/2 that load of hay right there.

Daddy had some upset boys at that point. We went on to the barn and stacked what was left on the truck, then went back and reloaded the spilt hay off the side of the road and stacked it in the barn. We worked way past dark that night getting all the hay up. Daddy wouldn't dare leave a bale of hay in the field overnight. It had to be put in the barn the day it were baled.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Yes, sir, that makes perfect sense. I'm sure dad has heard that before.

my granny on mama's side always kept a swept yard. When we would go visit, mama always made us sweep her yard. It really ticked me off when my uncle Banky would flip cigarette butts in the yard right after I swept it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

never will forget when I was about 13 or 14. We were baling hay, loading on daddy old 64 GMC pickup. We had it stacked way high too. Daddy was driving to the barn. Said weren't no use to tie them down, cause we ain't going 1/2 a mile. Daddy went cattie corner cross a drainage ditch to cross the main road, and dumped over 1/2 that load of hay right there.

Daddy had some upset boys at that point. We went on to the barn and stacked what was left on the truck, then went back and reloaded the spilt hay off the side of the road and stacked it in the barn. We worked way past dark that night getting all the hay up. Daddy wouldn't dare leave a bale of hay in the field overnight. It had to be put in the barn the day it were baled.

Every year Daddy would grow about a 20 acre field of heirloom Dent corn for the stock. He didn`t believe in mechanical harvesters so we`d have to pull that corn by hand, throw it in the sled, then unload it in the corn crib to feed the hogs. Soon as we got done with all that, we`d have to go back and strip the fodder for the cows.

I use to think he invented work.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Every year Daddy would grow about a 20 acre field of heirloom Dent corn for the stock. He didn`t believe in mechanical harvesters so we`d have to pull that corn by hand, throw it in the sled, then unload it in the corn crib to feed the hogs. Soon as we got done with all that, we`d have to go back and strip the fodder for the cows.

I have done that to Nic. We never had a mechanical picker. I use to dream of having one. :biggrin3: We would take corn to the feedmill 3 or 4 times a year, and have it hammered with some fodder or hay, mix in some salt, some molasses and bag it up to feed the steer we were gonna eat, or the milk cows.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
"North" Carolina. ::ke::bounce:

"North" Carolina sent a lot more troops to fight the Yankees than Jorjee did. ::ke:

I especially loved stacking it in the barn when you got it stacked all the way up there under that hot tin roof amongst the waspers. :)

I do not miss putting up hay, especially square bales. I think I had permanent hay-burn on my forearms for about twenty years. I also do not miss having to take it back out of the barn every day and hauling it out to feed the cows.

When i was nine I drove the truck and my daddy pulled corn.
The truck was older than i was.

ky55

Anybody remember when deceased folks lay a-corpse at home and neighbors and relatives would come and set up with them all night?
And if they had any flares they most likely didn't come from a flare shop.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member