Whats the weirdest thing you have seen or found in the woods while hunting?

Curvebow05

one time i was hunting and this area was near a railroad track where some homeless people used to camp and i grunted up a bum lol.he came sneaking through the woods and popped out into a little clearing right below me. he did a few 360's, picked his nose and left.

my neighbor found a homeless guy hanging from a rope right near that same area a couple of years later. he commited suicide according to the police. i'm glad i didnt bump into that at 5am.

So me and the guys are sitting at the old hunting camp by the tracks. I hear a monster buck start grunting away real loud like he just found the homecoming queen. I snuck in there with my slingshot thinking I may get lucky, but as soon as I came into the clearing where he shoulda been I saw some guy sittin up in a tree blowing that dang grunt call like a trumpet. I averted my eyes real quick and spun around like I was confused. I was trying so hard to choke back the laughter that I ended up freeing that dang old flapper booger that was bothering me since my second cup of Joe and my third cigarette. Well I got that record book lump out and took it back to show the guys. That guy never did kill a deer that day.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Not a math lab but I was scouting a WMA 2 years ago and come across what appears to be come manure in the middle of a creek bottom thicket. I walk up for closer inspection because there are no cows anywhere around for a several miles. There where actually a dozen or more piles of manure with mushrooms growing out of em. So I reckon somebody was gonna have a lot of laughs or a bigger pocket book

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
It wasn't hunting season at the time, but my father and I were scouting our hunting land back in 2013, when we decided to walk down one of the dead end logging trails. We were walking along when dad spotted something move just off the trail. I turned to look and seen this small hawk standing there on the ground. I said he has caught a snake and pulled out my phone to take some pics. As I was standing there, I quickly realized something was wrong when the hawk tipped over. It was then I could see the snake, which looked to be a Southern Black Racer, wrapped around the hawk's neck. I knew I had to try and help the poor thing, so I cautiously approached with a dead pine limb and wiggled it under the part of the snake that was wrapped around the neck. He was wrapped so tight, I actually lifted the hawk off the ground 2 or 3 times. I kept on trying as the hawk just laid there motionless. Finally, the snake had enough and unwrapped himself from the hawk. The hawk laid there stunned for several seconds before getting up. He then flew up on a limb and stared at me for a second or two before flying away.

The hawk never made a sound at all. Makes you wonder how often something like this happens. Just glad I was there to help him out. I bet he's glad too! :bounce:

Images are in order. First image is a crop to better show the snake. You can't see the snake around the Hawk's neck in every image, but he is there. The last image is after the snake unwrapped and left.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was hunting in nc once, was walking around muddy lake bed on national forest land, a good ways from a road, the ground was frozen from the night before, so ice crystals were formed in the mud, when I found a set of tracks that were fresh, cause the ice crystals that were formed the night before were crushed, the tracks looked to be from a bare foot human, either a woman or child, I followed them until they went into the woods and couldn't make them out, I called a local volunteer rescue guy I knew in the area and asked if someone was missing or lost, he said not that he knew, was starnge, I thought maybe a child had gotten lost.

You found Nell's hidey place. :)

shane256

It wasn't hunting season at the time, but my father and I were scouting our hunting land back in 2013, when we decided to walk down one of the dead end logging trails. We were walking along when dad spotted something move just off the trail. I turned to look and seen this small hawk standing there on the ground. I said he has caught a snake and pulled out my phone to take some pics.

Wow! That was something really cool to see... I bet not many people have seen anything like that.

cself

My profile picture is the reason I found this forum. I killed the timber Rattler and possibly saved my dad from being bitten while checking a trail cam. Dad wanted to hang the snake in a tree (to make it rain:huh:) two days later I came back to check the camera again and found a king snake eating the rattlesnake suspended in the air. I have seen snakes eat other snakes but this was a new one for me.

sadler2

It wasn't hunting season at the time, but my father and I were scouting our hunting land back in 2013, when we decided to walk down one of the dead end logging trails. We were walking along when dad spotted something move just off the trail. I turned to look and seen this small hawk standing there on the ground. I said he has caught a snake and pulled out my phone to take some pics. As I was standing there, I quickly realized something was wrong when the hawk tipped over. It was then I could see the snake, which looked to be a Southern Black Racer, wrapped around the hawk's neck. I knew I had to try and help the poor thing, so I cautiously approached with a dead pine limb and wiggled it under the part of the snake that was wrapped around the neck. He was wrapped so tight, I actually lifted the hawk off the ground 2 or 3 times. I kept on trying as the hawk just laid there motionless. Finally, the snake had enough and unwrapped himself from the hawk. The hawk laid there stunned for several seconds before getting up. He then flew up on a limb and stared at me for a second or two before flying away.

The hawk never made a sound at all. Makes you wonder how often something like this happens. Just glad I was there to help him out. I bet he's glad too! :bounce:

Images are in order. First image is a crop to better show the snake. You can't see the snake around the Hawk's neck in every image, but he is there. The last image is after the snake unwrapped and left.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I bet that hawk was the one who started that fight and the snake was just finishing it!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Back in the early 80's I started hunting our family land down in Pine Mountain. I was sitting in the tree right at daybreak and I hear lions roaring, real lions. Made my skin crawl. It turns out the Wild Animal Safari that keeps lions among other things is just a couple of miles away and when the lions roar at daybreak that means it's feeding time.

Another time I was sitting in a tree at daybreak and there was heavy fog. Fog so thick I could barely see the ground at the base of my tree. I catch movement on the ground and look down. This big brown thing waddles up out of the fog, stops at the base of my tree, sniffs around, rises up on its' hind legs and sniffs my tree then waddles on off into the fog. First time I had ever seen a bear in the wild up close and personal.

Back in the late 70's me and a buddy were walking in to our stands on a logging road with more of that thick fog. A coyote ran across the road right in front of us. I had never heard of coyotes in Georgia back then and neither had my buddy. We both looked at each other with that wide eyed "What the....!!!!" look on our faces and asked each other "Did you see that? What was it?"

Thick fog bugs me to this day.

Cmcharles

Not hunting, was out on an overnight deep water grouper trip in the gulf. Had been deep dropping 400’ all day and was chugging in to 200’ to anchor up for the night. We were around 120 miles off shore and noticed an abnormally bright amber light about 20 degrees off the horizon. It was blinking in sequence from right to left then all lit up at once. Then it dimmed into a small light and shot off faster than anything I’ve seen in the sky. Don’t know what it was but gave me a strange feeling. I’ve spent many nights offshore and that’s the only time I’ve seen anything odd. Later that week there were reports from the oil rigs in Louisiana of a UFO from the same afternoon and night. I’m not saying that’s what we saw but it was definitely an unknown object.

HabershamHunter85

I was once hunting in a stand up in Tallulah Falls when I heard a loud crash and looked and there was about a 300lb black bear running as fast as he could about 40 yards in front of me. I threw my gun up and was tempted to shoot but I was a good 60 minute walk back on Gov land. But just as soon as I put my gun down 2 squirrels fell out of the tree right in front of me, they were about 25 to 30 foot up. I've seen a squirrel or two fall in my time but the circumstances just made it funny. I guess the bear scared them to death, I don't know.

Another time I was in the wood and seen a wild hawg being chased by a little Jack Russel, then when they came back by the hawg was chasing the dog so I eased the Jack Russel's stress level by putting a 7mm-08 in the hawg.

Also one time had a coon climb my tree while I was hunting. Scared the crap out of me when I felt the tree vibrating, thought a bear was on it lol. In this same spot also had a possum above me one time before day light, scared me when I looked up with my flashlight and he was just staring at me.

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 234