Whats the weirdest thing you have seen or found in the woods while hunting?

trudy

Towards the end of the season about 5-6 yrs ago now, my husband and nephew were going to the stands an it was still dark when they got to the field came up on a UFO hovering over the field. Was lit up with bright lights. One of them put the gun up to shoot it and the other one stopped him not knowing what it would do. Said it took off really fast, the next day or two it was spotted in other areas of the nation. Texas made the news about it. Really freaked them out, what are the chances of coming up on something that bizarre.

Powerline

Back in the mid 90's I found a block of Styrofoam in some hardwoods, I always looked at walking to my stand for years. I decided one day that it was out of place so I picked it up and it turned out be some kind of weather device from the national weather service. It even had a bag that you put in to mail it back to them.

uga095

Me too, I always carry a pistol when in the woods for both 2 legged and 4 legged critters. You never know what you might run across.
don't forget about the ones that have no legs

Stieet

Back in the mid 90's I found a block of Styrofoam in some hardwoods, I always looked at walking to my stand for years. I decided one day that it was out of place so I picked it up and it turned out be some kind of weather device from the national weather service. It even had a bag that you put in to mail it back to them.

My dad found a parts of a weather balloon once also. All that was left when he found it was several aluminum hoops and Mylar from the balloons.

Bird hunting is South GA they found a few moonshine stills and knew to make abrupt u turns out of the area.

Buckshot

Saw something crazy in the woods today!!!

This was in Forsyth county. My German Sheperd Jr. and I was doing alittle late season scouting for the extended archery season and for me to retrieve a few old coke bottles that I found earlier in the season. We were on the way back to the truck when he took off down the hill and in a thicket and started barking like crazy. I knew that he had either ran into somebody or something pretty big that he is unsure of. :offtopic:Deer he usually chases after a short distance and just comes back with no bark except for one time he was tracking a big 6pt that I had shot with a muzzleloader and he had cornered it and he was barking like crazy at it until the buck would lower his head and charge at him. He would run from him and then turn right back around and bark his way all the way up to the buck until it was time to run from the charging buck again. :offtopic:Well today he encountered two bucks one looked to be a 6pt and the other a 7-8pt:clap: and they were tied to each other by it looked to be some orange silt fence.:crazy: I guess one of them must have gotten the silt fence entangled in his antlers and the other buck must have wanted to fight and his antlers too became entangled and then the two became one. I tried to get a picture of them with my phone but wouldn't you know it my phone's battery was too low to take a picture.:banginghe It just wouldn't do it!!:cry: So I just watched.:pop: They would push each other back and forth while Jr. was trying to get one of them by the neck !!:cool: Then one of them would take off practically dragging the other , wrapping themselves aroud trees , kicking, jumping. I was afraid to get too close cause these guys were off the chain!::ke: I thought about going to get the bow and but by this time one of them looked like he was about to get free. By the time I got to the truck Jr. had stopped barking and was coming up the trail behind me.:) I figured they got separated , if not Jr. wouldn't had been at the truck. Sorry for the long read, just wanted to share this with someone. Thanks!

The mtn man

I was hunting in nc once, was walking around muddy lake bed on national forest land, a good ways from a road, the ground was frozen from the night before, so ice crystals were formed in the mud, when I found a set of tracks that were fresh, cause the ice crystals that were formed the night before were crushed, the tracks looked to be from a bare foot human, either a woman or child, I followed them until they went into the woods and couldn't make them out, I called a local volunteer rescue guy I knew in the area and asked if someone was missing or lost, he said not that he knew, was starnge, I thought maybe a child had gotten lost.

flyfisher007

Back in the late 90's I was hiking up in NC and found an old ford tudor sedan on the side of a mountain. my guess maybe rolled down from a toll road at the top of the mountain back in the 30-40's???? Not much of a road though

doeverything4him316

Had a falcon hit a bird sitting 10 ft from me. Also saw a bobcat grab a squirrel also had a bobcat attack my turkey decoy or stop short of.
Found a house in the middle of remote woods in Baldwin that was left in the 30s. Looked like they just walked out. Dishs on the table, beds with sheets & quilts, magazines dating 1936, medicine bottles, canned food. Real weird.

Thats real cool

Headfirst

Not sure this qualifies as wierd but my friends seemed to enjoy the story. Every year I take a trip out west for a week of flyfishing. I've fished Oregon, Utah, Colorado and last year it was in northern New Mexico. I was there the last week of May. I stayed in a small, one salloon town called Eagle Nest far up in the mountains just south of the CO border.

A local guide had told me of a small pool in a high mountain stream not too far from where you could park and walk in. I was up at the crack of 9 and went down the canyon to try to locate this "honey hole" and did. When I walked down into the stream to see if any fish were rising, I stood there for a few minutes watching the water and heard a twig break across the stream and up the steep slope. I was quite surprised to see a cinnamon black bear coming down the hillside. Dang, I left my phone in the Jeep and couldn't get a picture of the bear. Back to the Jeep I go and snag my phone in hopes of getting a picture of a wild bear. As I returned to the area in just a few minutes, I spooked the bear and he ran down stream with a fish in his mouth. Back to Jeep I go again and tried to figure out what to do. I remembered what my grandpap said to me when we entered a coal mine together in 1959 and I got scared (I was 4 yrs old). Pap said, the only thing in life to fear is fear itself so, off I went back to the honey hole armed with only my phone and a 4wt flyrod thinkin, I ain't scared of no stinkin bear. First cast was a short roll cast as the creek bank was overgrown with brush and I couldn't get the rod back behind me. Dang, fish rises, I set the hook and I was half way done catching my dinner. I get the fish on my stringer and sling my fly a little further on the second cast. I got a take and set the hook. As I was about to land the second half of my dinner, I hear this strange breathing sound behind me and yep, you guessed it. The bear is back, he was standing on a log about 20' to my right. With a fish on my line, I did absolutely everything that I could think of to spook the bear. I hollered, put my hands high in the air, stomped my feet, called him everything but a nice bear and he just wouldn't spook.
bear1.jpg

I snapped a photo and as quickly as I did that, the sucker jumped off the log toward me, took a couple of steps, layed back on hind quarters, rose up with his front feet off the ground and stomped the ground with a pretty nerve racking groan. I looked at him square in his glassy looking eyes and knew he had no intention of backing out. We were about 10' apart at this point. Wish I could have gotten a photo of that! Okay, so now, I know that I have to ease back out of there and I still had my second fish on the line. I take about six steps back and the fish comes out of the water. As quickly as the bear saw the fish, he was on it like white on rice. I held my rod high, snapped a photo...
bear2.jpg

and set the hook. Let me tell ya, a bear cannot be stopped by a 4wt flyrod and them suckers can pull some drag now. Crap, he broke my tippet. I think to myself, self, you ain't gonna win this battle so I stoll on back to the Jeep and have a smoke, figuring if I give it some time, he'll leave and I can atleast get my fish off the stringer and go back to the salloon and have a stiff drink. I relax for about 15 minutes and head back to the area to find the bear crossing the road and heading up the canyon on the other side.
bear3.jpg

I checked my stringer and all that was there a fish head. The bear won! Sure was a fun experience and took the best of me to not get scared. Bears have really wierd looking eyes when they are close.

one time i saw a pile of.....dung ...lol...and it was from a yote...it was fresh and steaming.i looked at it and saw something brite red. i got a stick and pulled it out and it was a wrapper of summer sausage. i guess thats pretty weird.

ALPHAMAX

was sitting 30' up a tree in my stand over hanging a creek & a coopers hawk swooped down grabed a squirrel off a limb & flew down into the creek floating with his wings wide out. as i watched i could see the squirrel squirming under the water and then it stopped the hawk drowned the squirrel and then flew off with it to eat it. crazy wish I had taken a pic

dotties cutter

One night back in the sixties I was coming home from a grocery store, just dark enough for headlights and I saw what looked like four shiny marbles flying all over the dirt road ahead of me. I got closer and it was 2 male grey foxes fighting over a female fox who was watching from the ditch. I have never since so much dirt and grey hair move so fast, the two were so busy they did not even notice me with my headlights on them. The fight of the century for me.

BowArrow

Found 63 golf balls going to my stand in city limits this year.

Found 155 round in hole it dug when it hit and did not explode at Fort Stewart. Got nervous when my hunting pardner started moving it.

I have had at least three hawks swoop down at me thinking I was a squirrel with my mask on my head.

Havana Dude

Found a pair of costa sunglasses last year. I think they are like 150-200 bucks. Idk, I buy cheap sunglasses. I will lose r break these before it's over.