Prescription coyote rifle......

Ff2012

I have killed deer with 22 LR before, but I don't hunt deer with them. Just because a small gun will kill something doesn't mean it is the best to use. I have leaned the old saying is very true, All Ways Use Enough Gun. You want a good clean fast kill, you do not want the target to suffer.
exactly

Buckhead

Ruger American (#8335) is finally in my hands. Anxious to clean factory lube off/out of the bore, screw on the can and get it scoped and ready for coyote elimination! This short run model has a threaded 'heavy' barrel and green stock. Pics soon.

I have taken a couple with my .22 mag. Were shot on seperate occasions, both behind the shoulder with 40 grain hollow points. 50-60 yard shots, called in. Both did a spin and ran. Found one immediately, within sight of where shot. The other one was shot just before dark and wasn't found til the following day. Went about 100 yards.

The .22 mag and HMR are marginal. I believe the 40 grain loads are best. I got a pass thru on one of the two I shot. I also have a .17 WSM. For a rimfire, should be better yet, but haven't had a shot opportunity.

Last edited:

Alan in GA

Thanks for your report! STILL have not sighted my #8335 in!
BTW,... got a trail cam picture of two raccoons 5' away from a coyote at my backyard corn spot!

Barebowyer

Got a mangy one a week ago with the 17 WSM. 142 yards, seven yard recovery, tennis ball size damage and 'jello"in cavity. Ruger 77/17, 20 Grain American Eagle...FYI.