To load or Not to Load..The magazines

jfish

Do you keep loaded magazines or do you only load when you are going to shoot. I have heard it both ways just curious what you guys do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I keep vast quantities of mags loaded.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
An unloaded magazine is nearly as useless as an unloaded gun.

Stroker

For the ones I always keep loaded I do this, my four night stand 17 rounders get fifteen, 6 feet away the ten 30 rounders get 25.

BriarPatch99

I have always been told that compression of a spring does not wear out a spring ... but repetitive compressing does ...

wareagle700

Anything that gets shot or carried on a regular basis has plenty of loaded mags ready to go. I don't keep all of my mags loaded though, lots of them are boxed up and in the original packaging for a rainy day......or whatever it is we are supposed to be prepping for.

I've had some mags loaded for over 10 years and they are still good to go. With most magazines, there aren't any issues with keeping them loaded.

Dub

Any gun that is being used for home defense has a sufficient number of magazines that are left loaded. They get rotated out on range sessions over time.

Any gun that is storage in a gun safe has magazines left unloaded.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Any gun that is being used for home defense has a sufficient number of magazines that are left loaded. They get rotated out on range sessions over time.

Any gun that is storage in a gun safe has magazines left unloaded.

Same here

jmoser

A properly designed and manufactured spring can be compressed indefinitely without any deterioration.

Fatigue can occur after many thousands of cycles.

Steel is a wonderfully elastic material.