How Do You Pronounce Acorns?

What Do You Say?

• Total voters

hdgapeach

Same as NCHillbilly. For me, I reckin' its got somethin' to do with being born and raised in them hills of South Carolina.

Luckybuck

Was recently corrected for saying akerns, he told me it is acorns. I have lived my entire life in the south, and my professor correcting me is from New Jersey. As long as I live I will refer to them as akerns, I know what a white oak akerns means to a deer not sure they like acorns lol.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Was recently corrected for saying akerns, he told me it is acorns. I have lived my entire life in the south, and my professor correcting me is from New Jersey. As long as I live I will refer to them as akerns, I know what a white oak akerns means to a deer not sure they like acorns lol.

"Professor I would tell you to go to hades but you just moved from there "

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Where's a good place to get some minnas? Or minners? Or my least favorite ... minnows?

I say minnows. :p

I do catch and eat crappie, though. Never eaten a croppie. And I hunt deer, not deers. :biggrin2:

It don't matter how you say it, bud, they know what you're talking about. And both of my parents, and their parents, are all from south Georgia. I was born and raised here too. Some of us simply talk a little more country than others, that's all. And there's nothing wrong with that. By the way, nothing hotter than a southern gal with a strong, country accent! :love:

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
lots of good info in this one - subscribed. Ach-ern.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Attachments

• native2.jpg
    native2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 79

Hillbilly stalker

Tar = tire
Far = fire
Fur= far
Dreen = drain
Pert near = almost
Ort not = shouldn't

And the list goes on............ (That's a purty feesh )

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Roas-neers, minners, lonmore, cast arn, car tars, build a far, arsh taters here.

Them stinging insects that build nests under the eaves of your house are waspers.

Nope, up here in the mountains, specks are little native mountain brook trout.

I get you with lonmore, that's what I cut my grass with too. :D The way you say the rest is how most southern mountain folk talk.

Waspers. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I get you with lonmore, that's what I cut my grass with too. :D The way you say the rest is how most southern mountain folk talk.

Waspers. :bounce:

I will write in modern English, but I refuse to speak it. :)

Actually, most of our southern Appalachian accent and sayings are pure Elizabethan English from three or four hundred years ago. We were isolated here in the hollers for so long that the language changed around us, while we just kept talking the same way.