Chainsaws...what is your favorite saw?

ripplerider

I spent half my formative years cranking my guts out on an assortment of old Homelites and McCulloughs. I wouldn't give you $5 for a dumptruck load of either one of them.

We used an old Homelite for years. We thought we'd died and went to heaven when Dad came home with a Stihl 028.

Patriot44

Banned
A guy we used to hunt wit in the 70's and 80's had an old Holliday that was a humdinger. Was the only one that I ever saw. Sounded like a stock car too...::bounce:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Any chainsaw somebody else is running while I drink beer and watch is my favorite one!

Rick Alexander

I inherited

all of my dad's old chain saws. Two Homelite XL's - one with a bow and one with a 18 inch bar. I learned on both those saws growing up and they both still run perfectly - little hard to get going because they've sit a bunch but they do run great. Reliable as heck but just can't compare to the newer saws in terms of speed. He also had a 031 Stihl that I think he needed to have the jug replaced on. It'll run for about 30 minutes great - get a little hot and won't start the rest of the day. This one too had a bow on it and I've used it - cutting beast but I never liked a bow - too easy to cut yourself using them I always thought. Then his work horse later in life was a 044 that I can't seem to get to crank at all - maybe needs carb work because it sat for a good 10 years as he said he couldn't run it any longer at his age. That thing is downright scarry - you had better pay attention when you're using it but man oh man that beast will cut. Might try to get it going again.

I think I'll stick with my 61 Husky. I bought it in 1980 - no telling how many trees and cords of firewood that thing has cut. Doesn't like ethanol gas because it tries to run too rich but get some ethanol free and it still runs like the day I took it out of the American Chainsaw Store in Tucker. About too heavy for me now so I use a cheapo Northern Tool Husky rebuilt for most everything and I've had good luck with it so far. I guarantee you this one won't be around for 35 years though - but neither will I.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
all of my dad's old chain saws. Two Homelite XL's - one with a bow and one with a 18 inch bar. I learned on both those saws growing up and they both still run perfectly - little hard to get going because they've sit a bunch but they do run great. Reliable as heck but just can't compare to the newer saws in terms of speed. He also had a 031 Stihl that I think he needed to have the jug replaced on. It'll run for about 30 minutes great - get a little hot and won't start the rest of the day. This one too had a bow on it and I've used it - cutting beast but I never liked a bow - too easy to cut yourself using them I always thought. Then his work horse later in life was a 044 that I can't seem to get to crank at all - maybe needs carb work because it sat for a good 10 years as he said he couldn't run it any longer at his age. That thing is downright scarry - you had better pay attention when you're using it but man oh man that beast will cut. Might try to get it going again.

I think I'll stick with my 61 Husky. I bought it in 1980 - no telling how many trees and cords of firewood that thing has cut. Doesn't like ethanol gas because it tries to run too rich but get some ethanol free and it still runs like the day I took it out of the American Chainsaw Store in Tucker. About too heavy for me now so I use a cheapo Northern Tool Husky rebuilt for most everything and I've had good luck with it so far. I guarantee you this one won't be around for 35 years though - but neither will I.

That Husky 61 is a good saw.

muzzy17is

I got my stihl going good the other day. The thing that I like about the stihl is the on/off switch and kill switch is the same. Choke pull and roll with it then kill it when you're done. On off switches can be a pain.

flyrod444

I like both Husky and Stihl. Have an old Husky 61 that still cuts great. Bought a 372 XP husky several years ago that is an incredible saw that I use to cut blocks out of huge trees into blocks of wood for my wood turnings. I have my dad's old stihls that run great as well. One is a 021 and the other is a 026. The 026 doesn't like ethonal gas, gums up a little screen in carbarator in less than a year. Started using ethonal free gas in all my power tools after having to clean this screen off two times and haven't had any more problems.

Last edited:

carver

A great saw

my early Xmas last year

Attachments

• 1129171602b[1].jpg
    1129171602b[1].jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 35