What's wrong with my camo jacket?

Buck Dropper

Any ideas as to why my jacket glows in the dark? It's full camo (see the pics below), and is this how the deer see me? I have noticed deer seem to notice me even when I'm concealed in a blind and am not moving. Any of you ever experience this or know what's going on? It's that kinda of material that's made to repel water and makes a lot of noise. Thanks guys!
PICT1149.jpg

decemberdoe.jpg

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
Mine does the same thing. I don't think it has anything to do with why you're getting busted. It's just how the IR reflects off of the jacket.

Attachments

• 11-18-11 020.jpg
    11-18-11 020.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,188

southernboy2147

this is real neat I've never even heard of this but ill know now

Sterlo58

I disagree there is many a discussion about uv brightens in clothing. I bought I new shirt one year and got busted sitting in my climber in the dark deer where up wind. I couldn't figure it out I went home did some research and discovered about uv brightners hat are put in some camo clothing you can use a black light to see them I threw away everything that glowed some had a red tint to them. He article I read was very in depth and was on archerytalk said that even the uv killer was didn't help I know take a portable black light with me when I buy my clothes made a world of difference

Wow...you really take a black light with you. :huh:
Actually there was a recent study done at the deer research center at UGA. I will have to try to find the article. It disputes the deer seeing UV theory and is a very in-depth study. If you think about it, people successfully hunted for many many years without camo ( imagine that ). We used to wear jeans and flannel shirts and regular jackets. Even today most all laundry detergents contain UV brighteners to enhance color brightness in clothes. The UV / deer connection was concocted to sell anti UV soaps and sprays. Deer are spooked by movement not color.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Actually there was a recent study done at the deer research center at UGA. I will have to try to find the article. It disputes the deer seeing UV theory and is a very in-depth study. If you think about it, people successfully hunted for many many years without camo ( imagine that ). We used to wear jeans and flannel shirts and regular jackets. Even today most all laundry detergents contain UV brighteners to enhance color brightness in clothes. The UV / deer connection was concocted to sell anti UV soaps and sprays. Deer are spooked by movement not color.

^^^^^^This

MOST studies done, have to have some bit of funding!

Follow the $ Who is doing the funding? Does the Funding influence the Finding?

Hunting "Stuff" is HUGE $$$$$

I believe 99% of it is Gimmicks, regardless if I use some of them:p The other 1% is Weapons & Ammo..........some guns and Ammo may be Gimmicky too!

Dont believe me?

Son, where ya at brother!:cool:

The OP also mentioned his jacket "Makes a lot of noise"...............if you make a sound, they WILL Hear you!

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
I disagree there is many a discussion about uv brightens in clothing. I bought I new shirt one year and got busted sitting in my climber in the dark deer where up wind. I couldn't figure it out I went home did some research and discovered about uv brightners hat are put in some camo clothing you can use a black light to see them I threw away everything that glowed some had a red tint to them. He article I read was very in depth and was on archerytalk said that even the uv killer was didn't help I know take a portable black light with me when I buy my clothes made a world of difference

I don't believe this argument has anything to do with the picture in question. It is the type of material that the jackets are made from. It's been MY experience that any of the softer fleece type materials do the same thing when a picture is taken on an infared camera. I've got pictures of sweat pants, other jackets, fleece neck gaiters, gloves, they all do the same thing. Whereas "regular" camo pants or shirts won't do this. I think it's just the way the infared plays on the different materials. Wednesday evening I was hunting and I had 5 does come out within 40 yards of me. I was wearing the jacket that I have on in the picture, and they didn't see me. I can say the same thing about countless other deer this year. Deer see movement. You can wear a bright pink and chartruse tu-tu if you want, but as long as you're still, and you break up your outline a little, the deer won't notice you.

Adam12

so after reading this post in it's entirety I guess now all we need to know now is Do deer have IR eyesight??? If not then what's all of the fuss about??

RMH

I have seen the study by the company that makes the laundry soap that removes human oder. Unfortunately I don'r remember the name, and I can't physically get to our laundry area to retrieve it. I believe the study they did is real, and I have been harvesting more deer since I followed their advise in reguards to sent control and uv brighteners. I personally do not ware blue anything into the woods when hunting deer. My own rules, but I have seen more deer when following this rule. Please don't get me wrong, you can kill deer while waring anything (or nothing) but for me anything that reflects UV light is a no no in the deer woods.
The soap company makes a UV killer that I have used on camo and it works as far as a black light is concerned. I keep a bottle at camp just in case, but we hardly need it since our cloths are always sent free and washed in soap that removes UV brighteners. Oh and I am usually only a bow hunter. It doesn't seem to matter what you ware in gun season. And again I haven't hunted down south yet. Can't wait for next year.

I'm not fussing about anything just an observation if you read the article it mentions military grade camo and how it doesn't have uv brightners notice his pants don't shine but the jacket does different strokes for different folks thought some may be interested in it I will hunt the way I like just like we all have the right to do thank god for our Troups and the USA

Punctuation, young man. Please read up on this topic.

bowtie

^^^^^:rofl::rofl:(now i got to clean the tea off my screen....)...it is how the IR light bounces off a certain material...i took a jacket that did that....washed it with uv killer 2 times....sprayed the scent killer...hung it on a tree with IR cam looking at it with some bait in front of it....the deer did not pay it any attenion..the pic showed the jacket still glowing in every picture....the deer only waited for an hour after i set all of this up before they came in...so, i do not believe in this theory at all.........:smash::smash::smash::smash:

iowa-boy

and we didnt wash our clothes in the detergents we do know.if you wear a article of clothing with any waterproofing or scent blocker it will show the same way.

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
^^^^^:rofl::rofl:(now i got to clean the tea off my screen....)...it is how the IR light bounces off a certain material...i took a jacket that did that....washed it with uv killer 2 times....sprayed the scent killer...hung it on a tree with IR cam looking at it with some bait in front of it....the deer did not pay it any attenion..the pic showed the jacket still glowing in every picture....the deer only waited for an hour after i set all of this up before they came in...so, i do not believe in this theory at all.........:smash::smash::smash::smash:

Nonsense! You're not affiliated with a major cooperation who has hired "scientists" to run "research" studies and tests in order to prove the superiority of their product over all others in the hunting market....so obviously your test means nothing :whip: :smash:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: