300 blackout

randall c

I recently bought a 300 blackout for my 9yo to hunt with I thought a better choice than the 243 he has hunted with the last three years granted he has killed some deer with the 243 he shot a couple that we never found after talking to a lot of people I decided to go with the 300 blackout over a 7mm-08 he got his first shot a one this evening at about 65 yards a easy shot for him it ran out of the field like it was hit hard we got down went to where it was standing and followed the path it took out of the field found nothing no blood or hair I’m shooting a Hornady 110gr v-max bullet so my question is to anyone who is shooting the 300 blackout does anyone have any experience with that bullet or any recommendation on what I should be using

I load 125 grain Sierra match kings to hunt with but I see no reason that the v max wouldn't do the job. The v max is a very thin jacketed bullet so it comes apart inside the target. If you're looking for a bullet that exits and leaves a good blood trail them maybe look at a bullet better suited for hunting larger game like a Sierra game king or similar bullet.

buckpasser

I don’t have a lot of experience, but I shot one big bodied buck with the 120 go copper sig rounds last year and was very impressed. I actually hit him twice. One double lung with a good sized exit, and the next was mid neck running. Blew up bone and exited same as the lung shot. I will continue “testing”.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would use a heavier bullet.. Maybe the 125 grain Hornady or Winchester loading

randall c

Thanks for the input guys I found the deer this afternoon I hate to Lose the meat but at least I know he didn’t miss we will definitely try some different bullets he made a good shot there was no blood on the deer any were just a hole Right behind the shoulder with no exit

ProAngler

I also have used the Barnes 110 grain and always get a nice big exit and have had more dry shots with that than my 308. Which is really just a coincidence of shot placement, but it does the job.

spencer12

I’ve heard many stories about a 300 bo. It seems it can be picky about which bullet model is the best.

BassHunter25

I would say .243 is better. But playing with a .300 bo now myself. Have yet to shoot an animat with it. I have shot several grains target shooting and am very impressed with its accuracy.

killerv

300bo is not a better choice than the 243. You could have always gone with 708 reduced recoil loads, they do the trick.

We are shooting the 110 barnes vor-tx out of my sons 300bo. He dropped a medium sized doe this year (exit was same size as entry) with it but his 200 lb buck at 75yards was a different story. Perfect behind the shoulder shot, deer acted like nothing had happened, just bounced off. Not a drop of blood, looked like a clean miss. Deer ran 60 yards...no exit...which I am fine with but makes them hard to find when they run. To be honest I was more impressed with the 62gr fusions we were shooting out of his 223 upper last year. Mine just needs another year or two before even a youth stocked gun fits him well. My just turned 10yo is shooting a 260 this year.

I'll be the first to admit a lot of us try to get them started too early, I'm guilty, I am now thinking if they can't shoot a legit deer round maybe we step back and let them get a couple more years under there belt sitting with us in the stand. Deer deserve better. Not trying to get into an argument about what smaller bullets are capable of, we are talking kids here that don't have the experience we do. There is no doubt a 243, 260, 708 are better choices than a 300bo or 223.

Last edited:

transfixer

You have to remember a .300blkout isn't moving near as fast as a .243, I have killed numerous deer with a .243 shooting 87gr hp's , but it was all about bullet placement, and they were travelling around 3000fps or better, the blackout is going 2200-2300 fps with most 125gr loads, most people that hunt with them choose a bullet that will stay together and not totally come apart inside the deer. I have one I hunted with last year, but didn't pull the trigger on one with it, I'll probably use it later this year as well. One of the monolithic copper bullets is a good choice to use with the .300bkout,

BassHunter25

My son and daughter have killed ten deer with 243. My son has been shooting it since he was 6. He’s an avg size Boy. I have a tiger m77 243. And a Remington 783 youth 243. They have both worked fine. Dropped most of the deer. Even on marginal shots.

I will say the .300 BO I have now has much less recoil and is a tac
driver. But am nervous about shooting a deer with it ?

I have the 110gr Hornady black vmax bullets and some 220 gr. Bullets. But someone on here said that v max bullets are designed for varmints? I would like to know if that’s true?
The .243 bullets I use are 100 gr and they kill deer fine. Most varmint loads I’ve seen are much lighter gr. ?

transfixer

My son and daughter have killed ten deer with 243. My son has been shooting it since he was 6. He’s an avg size Boy. I have a tiger m77 243. And a Remington 783 youth 243. They have both worked fine. Dropped most of the deer. Even on marginal shots.

I will say the .300 BO I have now has much less recoil and is a tac
driver. But am nervous about shooting a deer with it ?

I have the 110gr Hornady black vmax bullets and some 220 gr. Bullets. But someone on here said that v max bullets are designed for varmints? I would like to know if that’s true?
The .243 bullets I use are 100 gr and they kill deer fine. Most varmint loads I’ve seen are much lighter gr. ?

Yes, as Pappy posted the Vmax are varmint bullets, thin jacketed for maximum destruction, they would be okay for a high shoulder or lung shot, but may not exit the other side. I don't think I'd want to hit the shoulder bone center with one.

As I mentioned before, I've taken many deer with my .243 using 87gr/sometimes 85grbthp's , but it requires good bullet placement, I always shoot high shoulder, the bullet usually clips the spine and top part of the lungs, most never take another step, I'm using 125gr ballistic tip rounds in my .300blkout, and it is amazingly accurate with those rounds, sub 1inch groups at 100yds, I've not taken a deer with it yet, but plan on shooting the same way I do with my .243, high shoulder, if I wasn't confident I could do that I would choose another bullet, something that would stay together better and not be quite so explosive, although I would probably stay with the 125gr, for me its the best combination of weight/speed.

SakoL61R

FWIW, I'm loading 125 Nosler BT's under a reduced load of H4895 for my son in his .308. MV is 2350 through my Oehler. Excellent chest shot terminals on his first deer a couple of weeks ago (complete chest pass-through, 50 yd shot). Deer went 20 yds and piled up.
I've a 300 BO and will be loading it with the same boolit over Lil' Gun per the Hodgdon website data.

mossyears

I've haven't shot a deer with it yet but have killed many a big hog with the Barnes 120 grains and they do the job. I'll be putting my 7 year old on the 300 BO as well. Should do fine at relatively close range