300 blackout

buckpasser

I did more experimentation with the .300 BO last night and here’s what my research found;

-Sig Sauer elite performance 120 grain copper 2250 FPS
-235 lb buck, heart shot at 120 +\- yds, quartering away slightly
-Ran less than 30 yards
-No exit
-No blood
-Total devastation of the chest cavity, heart, lungs, and off shoulder.
That’s buck number 2 with no tracking required, but this deer didn’t even bleed in the truck laying on the entry wound.

Attachments

• BE0CFA6B-E6CA-4DEA-8288-E24726A44FCF.jpeg
    BE0CFA6B-E6CA-4DEA-8288-E24726A44FCF.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 9193C86A-A27D-4B69-BB85-C5FCA513C602.png
    9193C86A-A27D-4B69-BB85-C5FCA513C602.png
    1 MB · Views: 39

BassHunter25

I did more experimentation with the .300 BO last night and here’s what my research found;

-Sig Sauer elite performance 120 grain copper 2250 FPS
-235 lb buck, heart shot at 120 +\- yds, quartering away slightly
-Ran less than 30 yards
-No exit
-No blood
-Total devastation of the chest cavity, heart, lungs, and off shoulder.
That’s buck number 2 with no tracking required, but this deer didn’t even bleed in the truck laying on the entry wound.

Did bullet get stopped behind offside shoulder? Just wondering if it may have exited in a straight broadside.
I’ve seen where the couple deer my kids killed that didn’t exit the deer usually dropped. I feel like they absorb more of the energy. But would still feel better with an exit and a drop in the tracks.

Nice buck by the way!

Jim Boyd

.243 is deadly on deer size animals.

buckpasser

Did bullet get stopped behind offside shoulder? Just wondering if it may have exited in a straight broadside.
I’ve seen where the couple deer my kids killed that didn’t exit the deer usually dropped. I feel like they absorb more of the energy. But would still feel better with an exit and a drop in the tracks.

Nice buck by the way!

Thanks! Yes, it was stopped by off shoulder. I thought he was straight enough for an exit, but I was wrong.

Swamprat

Swamprat
.243 is deadly on deer size animals.

Yep, never had an issue with any deer I shot with a .243. My FIL killed a pile of deer and antelope with one.

Seems like folks keep searching for the new magic bullet while the tried and true is in their gun safe and has been doing it for decades past

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
243 is great in experienced hands and a patient marksman. I don't feel it is adequate for a youth that, in the heat of the moment, may jerk,flinch, or move. I want to give them all the gun they can handle, and the 300BO does offer a bit more, with less felt recoil. A plus on both accounts.

bwagon83

Randall C, I use a 125gr soft point in 300BO. Leaves a good blood trail. Check out Black Gun Industries website. I shoot nothing else. Great on hogs also.
x2.. i hand loaded some 125gr sierra pro hunter game kings to max load data. only shot one deer with it, square through the lungs at 75 yards. only went 60 yards with good blood and a quarter sized exit hole.

Bowyer29

300bo is not a better choice than the 243. You could have always gone with 708 reduced recoil loads, they do the trick.

We are shooting the 110 barnes vor-tx out of my sons 300bo. He dropped a medium sized doe this year (exit was same size as entry) with it but his 200 lb buck at 75yards was a different story. Perfect behind the shoulder shot, deer acted like nothing had happened, just bounced off. Not a drop of blood, looked like a clean miss. Deer ran 60 yards...no exit...which I am fine with but makes them hard to find when they run. To be honest I was more impressed with the 62gr fusions we were shooting out of his 223 upper last year. Mine just needs another year or two before even a youth stocked gun fits him well. My just turned 10yo is shooting a 260 this year.

I'll be the first to admit a lot of us try to get them started too early, I'm guilty, I am now thinking if they can't shoot a legit deer round maybe we step back and let them get a couple more years under there belt sitting with us in the stand. Deer deserve better. Not trying to get into an argument about what smaller bullets are capable of, we are talking kids here that don't have the experience we do. There is no doubt a 243, 260, 708 are better choices than a 300bo or 223.

260 is what I started my son with at 10. He killed his first with the ML at 10 also. He still uses the 260 and his 06 and is deadly with both. He's 20 now.