58 caliber musket ?

Geezer Ray

I have a 58 caliber musket that I would like to take a deer with and or hog should one just happen bye. I shoot a .570 round ball with a .010 patch. At the range shooting about 75 yards it does well with 75 grains. However that is of course poking holes in paper. What load should I try for the humane kill and keep my shoulder where it is?

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I tried 100 grains on a 50 caliber pistol and bloodied my face and nose so be careful............

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have a 58 caliber musket that I would like to take a deer with and or hog should one just happen bye. I shoot a .570 round ball with a .010 patch. At the range shooting about 75 yards it does well with 75 grains. However that is of course poking holes in paper. What load should I try for the humane kill and keep my shoulder where it is?

That load you listed will do just fine as a hunting load.

GeorgiaBob

If you push the powder up past 100 grains of XX you will likely find balls going everywhere EXCEPT where you are pointing. The heavier loads will exaggerate every deformity in the ball, plus may dimple it. Additionally, black powder will still be burning as the ball is pushed out the muzzle, If you have a 39" to 46" barrel, it probably will not burn much more than 120 grains of XX before the ball is out - anything more you poured in will just make a bright flash in front of the musket!

A .570 patched ball should generate a muzzle velocity around 800fps with a 60 grain XX load in a 40" barrel. That is certainly close enough killing power for deer or hog, even over 50 yards. Muzzle velocity will likely go up to around 950 fps with a 75 grain load, and is unlikely to get more than 1050 fps no matter how much powder you pour down the barrel. My guess (and it is just a guess) is that 75 grains is probably an excellent starting point and you can adjust with experience.

// A 3 or 4 foot square piece of 1/4" plywood is an excellent 25 yard target to use when you want to determine impact damage. Any load that goes through 1/4" plywood at 25 yards will drop a deer or a big hog out to 75 yards. (I am not sure I would trust musket accuracy for a kill shot at 50 yards, let alone 75.) If the hole in the plywood is "clean" (round, with little splintering on the exit side) use less powder - you want that ball to do stopping damage, not go clean through. //

Darkhorse

The guys I know who are using rifled muskets are shooting mini'e balls and 60 grains of 3fg. These are civil war reenactors.
Have you tried a thicker patch?

Geezer Ray

The guys I know who are using rifled muskets are shooting mini'e balls and 60 grains of 3fg. These are civil war reenactors.
Have you tried a thicker patch?
I have not tried thicker patches nor have I used 3f. I have shot maxiball with Crisco for lube. Takes a lot of lead to pour those things up. My best accuracy seams to be with patches round balls. I am shooting a Zouve , not sure of the spelling. Peep sight and blade on the front.

7Mag Hunter

I have a .54 cal Hawken and shoot a similar patched ball set up..."tight"
patched and lubed round ball usually blows right thru the heart lung
area of a deer....I am comfortable to about 50-75 yds....I use Pyrodex and 777 powder..