Abandoned stands.?

Big7

The Oracle
One thing I do know is while I was working in Atlanta a lot and in a club in Warren Co. A few fools decided they would help my Dad and Uncle manage their deer heard, took a little ride through all the fields and woods one day and found some new wooden stands and a bunch of 2 man ladder stands. Went back to the house, fired up the tractor. Grabbed a hook chain and went to ripping down stands. Some I wish I would of kept but I was really mad. Drug them up onto a pile next to the house and put up a sign. Can't post what I said on here. I was even worried if I was to close to the Church to be writing what I did.

It worked. Never found another one.

Edit. Dad and Uncle's farm is/was in Walton County.
The lease I was on at the time was in Warren County. That's why it took me a while to figure it out. Haven't hunted the Walton property for a while

Last edited:

Lilly001

You gotta be careful with them oldies.
I've had more than one come apart with me on it.facepalm:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It was abandoned in an area that was almost zero visibility by the time I got the lease. We pulled it out and relocated a few hundred yards.

the guy that used to have the lease says the reason he didn’t see any deer like he used to was “coyotes”

7Mag Hunter

found an old steel Summit stand on a Heard County lease....It was on the tree so long that the seat had dry rotted and tree had grown and pushed on the stand arms.....probably still there...

DeoVindice

No modern day metal stands left on the property by previous owners but at least a dozen and probably more old ladder stands and varying stages of decay. I actually took pics of all the old wooden ladder stands and often wonder how the particular spot was chosen by a long-ago hunter. I've met and talked to a number of guys that once hunted the farm back in the day when it was owned by timber companies. Lots of good stories from years gone by.

Anytime I come across an old homemade wooden stand I take pictures. They are from a day gone by and the instances where I find them are becoming less frequent. Someday they wil all be gone. I like to preserve the history.

Finding old stand locations can also be a producer. Chances are someone put a stand there for good reason.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I found an old Treelounge climber on o e of our leases a couple of years ago. It had "grown into the tree".

Years ago we leased a farm in Gadsden Co. Previous guy left 2 shooting houses on 2 food plots. 5 years later we left because owner kept raising the price. We left the shooting houses for the new guys.

catchdogs

Coolest stand ever saw was a 55 gAllon metal barrel with the top and portion of front cut out. HAd 2 cuts in side a piece of 2x6 fit through. Was bolted to the tree. My granddaddy used find2 trees close together and build stand up in it and sit in the boards.

DSGB

I usually take pictures of old stands I run across. Found this recently on a local WMA.

Attachments

• 5F96F7CA-C431-4CAA-9278-ADC1F0E53F6D.jpeg
    5F96F7CA-C431-4CAA-9278-ADC1F0E53F6D.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 151

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bump for more pics and stories

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Wow, Jim how tall is that tower? I know you hunt a lot higher than me. Maybe it's just the angle but that stand looks 25' to the rail.

Aerial acrobats practice between Jim’s stands ?

PappyHoel

If you go to my lumpkin county club you will find 8 stands of mine that cost me a pretty penny. The new private land owner gave everyone one week to get off and then cut that short after a run in with one of the members. It’s not worth the hassle or possible confrontation to get them back.

Jim Boyd

Wow, Jim how tall is that tower? I know you hunt a lot higher than me. Maybe it's just the angle but that stand looks 25' to the rail.

Go Gators,

21’ to the floor.

We moved it after this photo was taken and took about 4’ off of it - so it is about 19-20’ to the rail right now. It was just too hard to put up...

I quit gun hunting several years ago, so I have not used it in quite some time.

I have concentrated on ladder stands for the last 4-5 years.

Now, not all of my stands will give you a nose bleed...

DE439F4D-A3B8-4B2B-8522-7D7A2FC06C9F.jpegFD929CC3-CB33-4FF5-B7A4-652B975072C9.jpeg

Tom W.

My late buddy and I built a lot of wooden ladder stands that lasted for years.

My first tree stand was two 2x6 with a piece of plywood nailed on the top with the biggest nails that I could buy to be used as steps. I killed my first deer from that stand.......

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Litterbugs. People are just too lazy. I hate finding an old stand in a beautiful forest bottom, and thinking, this should be in the dump - recycled.

Slobs. I see no difference between leaving a stand in the woods and throwing your cigarette butts and water bottles below your stand.

Many Hunters are especially bad about hunting a ground blind after one season then leaving it for me to clean up after three years of deterioration. I partly hunt to enjoy the outdoors, nature, it’s glory. Not to reminisce about the trash and stories of inconsiderate litter bugs, who make all hunters look bad.

I find a lot. If they are repairable I repair them and hunt them. I almost always carry an extra ratchet strap or two with me while hunting for safety.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Litterbugs. People are just too lazy. I hate finding an old stand in a beautiful forest bottom, and thinking, this should be in the dump - recycled.

Slobs. I see no difference between leaving a stand in the woods and throwing your cigarette butts and water bottles below your stand.

Many Hunters are especially bad about hunting a ground blind after one season then leaving it for me to clean up after three years of deterioration. I partly hunt to enjoy the outdoors, nature, it’s glory. Not to reminisce about the trash and stories of inconsiderate litter bugs, who make all hunters look bad.
I absolutely hate seeing trash or flagging tape strewn all over the woods. Even occasionally go out of my way to clean up after others. But I don't get too worked up over abandoned stands. They may have been abandoned due to health reasons, even death. Some may have even been abandoned because the hunter had simply forgotten where he put it. I agree, though, people should always bring out what they've taken in, if possible.

Big7

The Oracle
I didn't worry about pics. Now that every phone is a camera, I'll pay a little more attention.

On my Grandparents farm which ended up being my Dad and Uncles when my Grandma passed away in 2000. My Grandpa passed in 1966. I loved to get out to what we all called "the country" to hunt, catch minnows to fish with, ride dirt bikes and so forth when we were young.

Ain't no telling how many stands were on that 200 & something acres until some got sold to kin, it got down to 126 acres while my Grandma was still alive.

We didn't know jack doodle about a "store bought" deer stand. We made ours out of whatever we could find. Hardwood pallets worked good. There are remnants of some I built when I was a teenager. And what's not cool today is what we called "bridge nails" drove in for a means to climb like a latter. When it sold 2 years ago, I was devastated. My Mama and Uncle sold it before the grass growed on Daddy's grave.

Anyhooo. We made our own stands. ?

Last edited: