Advice/Help Needed Please!

zaraspook04

I bought a Colt LE6920 AR-15 .223 (1/7 twist) in November (just before all the craziness happened!). For optics, I purchased a Burris Fullfield TAC30 scope. At the time of purchase, I bought a box of 50 Hornady Steel Match .223 75 grain BTHP. The reason I bought the 1/7 twist was to handle the heavier grain rounds for hog hunting. I also ordered/purchased 400 rounds of Hornady Superformance Match 75 grain BTHP (not steel, brass).

Before the first round was fired through my gun, I cleaned the barrel with Hoppe’s #9. After a few dry clothes were run through the barrel, I was ready to sight in.

The first few rounds at 25 yards resulted in dime size groups. After getting the scoped sighted at 100 yards, 1’’ groups were no problem. The rifle was shooting great!!!!!

For my first hunt, I put the battery in to illuminate the reticle. To my surprise, the reticle would not dim as per the instructions nor would it turn off, unless the battery was removed. I contacted Burris and was told to return the scope, and they would send me a new one. I sent the scope back 1 month ago and received a brand new TAC 30.

While I was waiting on the scope, I cleaned my rifle again. Didn’t really need it…I had only shot 25 or so rounds through it. This time, I used Break Free Power Blast. Before firing, I ran a couple wet pads of Hoppes #9 down the barrel, followed by a few dry towels to remove any residue.

All shots were fired were using a Caldwell Lead Sled. I had no weight on the sled.

Amazingly, without even bore sighting the rifle, my first 2 rounds at 25 yards were on ¼’’ right and 2’’ low, both within the size of a dime. I moved out to 50 yards and shot a few rounds, getting the same groups. I moved to 100 yards and the first 3 round group was 2.5’’ high and 1’’ right. I adjusted accordingly (per the scope, 1 click = ½’’ at 100 yards). The next 3 round group resulted in a less than quarter size group, dead on at 100 yards. I only had 20 rounds of the Steel Match ammo left, so I decided to have some fun and shoot the rest of that and sight my scope to the Superformance Match ammo.

I shot a 3 round group at the top right target, and shot a 3 round group at the lower right target. To my surprise, only 3 rounds hit the paper. Based on the lower right target, one was 2’’ high and 1 inch right, 1 was 3’’ high, and one was 4.5’’ high and 1 inch left. I’m scratching my head at this point! After unloading, I broke the rifle apart and looked down the barrel. The barrel was clean. I checked the end of the barrel…it looked fine. At this point, I’m thinking my scope mount is loose. I checked to make sure everything was tight…I found no problems. Everything was snug!

I moved back to 25 yards, and fired 3 rounds. Upon checking the 3 rounds, I thought one round completely missed. However, 2 rounds were touching and 1 round was ¼ left. The 2 rounds touching were 2.5’’ low and ½’’ right, and the 3rd round was 2.5’’ low and ¾’’ right. I adjusted the windage and elevation accordingly and shot 3 more rounds. The windage moved accordingly, but the 3 round group was 3 inches high, 2 rounds touching and 1 just to the right. For the most part, my groupings are good but erratic!
Because I only had a few rounds left, I decided to switch over to the match ammo. Still at 25 yards, I shot 3 rounds. All 3 rounds were very tight but 2 inches low and 1 inch right. I made no adjustments, and I moved back to 100 yards. My first 3 rounds were 2.5’’ high and 1’’ right, all within a nickel size. I changed out my target, made no adjustments to the scope, and fired 3 more rounds and again my group was 2.5’’ high and 1’’ right, all within a nickel size. I adjusted my elevation to move 2.5’’ down and windage to move 1’’ left and fired 3 more rounds. After checking the target, one hit 2.5’’ high and 2.5’’ left, one hit 0’’ high and 2.5’’ left, and one hit 2’’ low and 2’’ left. Extremely frustrated at this point, I again checked the barrel and the scope mount. The barrel looked fine and the scope mounts were snug. I packed everything up, and went home!!!! No need in wasting any more ammo.

Could I please get some expert advice as to what to look into at this point? I have tried to be as detailed as possible so that you can formulate good reasoning. However, if there is other info you may need, please ask. The rifle and scope were purchased brand new. All advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

wareagle700

When you get time, this is a very informative post for AR accuracy.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/279218_The_Trouble_With_3_Shot_Groups.html

Assuming its not your scope or mounts, AR's will really show your bad shooting habits. They can be very accurate but they are more sensitive errors in shooting fundamentals due to more moving parts, multiple recoil impulses, and longer lock time when compared to a bolt action rifle.

AR's, especially lighter weight ones, need to be "driven" meaning you need to have control of the rifle from trigger pull to follow through. Dry firing an AR while looking through the scope will show you how much things can change once the hammer starts moving forward.

GunnSmokeer

scope broke

Sounds like the scope is bad.
If you're sure the mounts and rings are good, maybe the scope is messed up internally.
Any scope by any maker for any price could be defective. People who assemble them make mistakes. Machines break down, lose their programming, get bumped out of alignment, etc.

Have you tried the scope on another rifle?

I'd send it back to the factory under warranty. You'll probably get a new one. The factory doesn't want to mess with diagnosing yours and fixing it. Easier to just pull one off the shipping and receiving room shelf and send it to you.

zaraspook04

Assuming its not your scope or mounts, AR's will really show your bad shooting habits. They can be very accurate but they are more sensitive errors in shooting fundamentals due to more moving parts, multiple recoil impulses, and longer lock time when compared to a bolt action rifle.

AR's, especially lighter weight ones, need to be "driven" meaning you need to have control of the rifle from trigger pull to follow through. Dry firing an AR while looking through the scope will show you how much things can change once the hammer starts moving forward.

Wareagle...Thanks for taking time to read my long post, and thanks for the link...it was very informative.

I completely agree that 10 round groups will more accurately depict a rifle's ability...shooter negated, of course. However, I only shot 3 round groups in an effort to get the scope zeroed.

Let's assume that I was doing my part shooting the gun, what would you concern yourself with, the gun or the scope?

zaraspook04

Sounds like the scope is bad.
If you're sure the mounts and rings are good, maybe the scope is messed up internally.
Any scope by any maker for any price could be defective. People who assemble them make mistakes. Machines break down, lose their programming, get bumped out of alignment, etc.

Have you tried the scope on another rifle?

I'd send it back to the factory under warranty. You'll probably get a new one. The factory doesn't want to mess with diagnosing yours and fixing it. Easier to just pull one off the shipping and receiving room shelf and send it to you.

GunnSmokeer...thank you for taking the time to read my long post. The mount was purchased new with the gun and scope. I had no problems with the original scope. However, I sent it back because the switch that illuminates the reticle was bad. I agree, things happen...defects happen. Burris sent me a new scope (took 3 weeks though). What are the odds of getting 2 bad scopes? That is why I am here...seeking advice.

I have a youth .243 with a Leupold scope on it. I was going to put that one on my AR, but the scope diameter was to small for the rings.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

Very true. I prefer to shoot a minimum of 7 usually 10 rounds before attempting to measure a group. I never liked 3 shot groups.

But in this case it sounds more like a scope issue or maybe a combination.