Average price of deer hunting land in middle Georgia

rstallings1979

Last 10 years seems like the blink of an eye. Just imagine what lease prices will be 10 years from today...More urban sprawl...fewer acres to lease...more folks hunting. Ain't a good outlook.

Not to mention all of the private land that is owned by older folks that won't even be here 10 years from now, which in many cases, will mean new subdivision or sold for personal use.
It is unfortunate. I just hung out with the guys who have the club next to my private property after they invited me over for a cookout a couple of weekends ago. They lease about 1400 acres from our cousins who do not hunt. There are 10 of them and I can tell how much they love the land and enjoy being there. Some of them are more serious hunters and the others in the group just want a place to get away from the real world it seems. I feel for them because it could be taken from them in a heartbeat considering they don't own the property but the odds are in their favor. I believe my wife and I will likely have first right of refusal to purchase any of the property that comes up for sale next to me (if it ever does) and I intend to let them keep hunting it as long as they like. I already let them turkey hunt our own land considering my boys are into travel baseball nearly every weekend through the spring and into the summer. They are respectable and help keep a watch on our property when they are there. They are definitely a benefit to have around.

ucfireman

Not to mention all of the private land that is owned by older folks that won't even be here 10 years from now, which in many cases, will mean new subdivision or sold for personal use.
Sad, Parents work their lives to save something for their kids, And all they want is the money they can get for selling it.

Your scenario is why I have saying we (the state) needs to be buying as much land that they can. But of course all they want is the property tax dollars, not the sales taxes from the gear used on those lands.

sghoghunter

What was it before.

Not real sure cause It’s in my brothers name and he handles that but it wasn’t much. A few months last year the light bill was higher than the past so he went up on the money allotted for that and lease increase came up to $150 more than last year

Bucaramus

It is unfortunate. I just hung out with the guys who have the club next to my private property after they invited me over for a cookout a couple of weekends ago. They lease about 1400 acres from our cousins who do not hunt. There are 10 of them and I can tell how much they love the land and enjoy being there. Some of them are more serious hunters and the others in the group just want a place to get away from the real world it seems. I feel for them because it could be taken from them in a heartbeat considering they don't own the property but the odds are in their favor. I believe my wife and I will likely have first right of refusal to purchase any of the property that comes up for sale next to me (if it ever does) and I intend to let them keep hunting it as long as they like. I already let them turkey hunt our own land considering my boys are into travel baseball nearly every weekend through the spring and into the summer. They are respectable and help keep a watch on our property when they are there. They are definitely a benefit to have around.

And they are some of the lucky ones. Good on you for being straight up.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
IMO, realistically lease prices have not inflated at the rate of most other things.

I have one lease that is costing 3x what it did in 1988. But the value of the land has gone up exponentially.

Compare home prices from then to now.

As others have said a lot of it is supply and demand.

Bud Man

I'm just the opposite as you milk man, our property has decreased in value I was in the club for 28 years, we had 700 acres of agg field. Now we have 1800 acres of pine trees and continual tree harvest, when I first got in the club it was $900 and now I got out when the rate hit 3200. Hated to leave it but the price of lacing has gone through the roof

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'm just the opposite as you milk man, our property has decreased in value I was in the club for 28 years, we had 700 acres of agg field. Now we have 1800 acres of pine trees and continual tree harvest, when I first got in the club it was $900 and now I got out when the rate hit 3200. Hated to leave it but the price of lacing has gone through the roof
Are you talking about different tracts?

What is the rate per acre change in the 28 year span?

bilgerat

Senior
I was in the same club for almost 30 years, it was just over 400 acres in Jasper co. When I joined it was $4 per acre, It slowly increased a little by little over the years, in 2020 we paid 11:50 an acre then the land was sold and we had to leave, It has since been sold again and it was offered back to me at $$22 and acre, As much as Id love to hunt My old club land and re-live the memories I had to say no thanks. To rich for this old country boy.

Jim Boyd

Last 10 years seems like the blink of an eye. Just imagine what lease prices will be 10 years from today...More urban sprawl...fewer acres to lease...more folks hunting. Ain't a good outlook.

Best build relationships now.

Or buy.

Or both.

Jim Boyd

IMO, realistically lease prices have not inflated at the rate of most other things.

I have one lease that is costing 3x what it did in 1988. But the value of the land has gone up exponentially.

Compare home prices from then to now.

As others have said a lot of it is supply and demand.

Amen

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
$15.60/acre for me in Wilkes.

transfixer

Started leasing in Oglethorpe county in 78/79, Champion international paper co, 85cents an acre, I dropped out of the club last year for reasons other than price, but its now up to between $13-$14 an acre I believe, and they're about to clearcut 70% of it. Never been a county for trophy deer, used to have plenty though, not so much anymore

frankwright

The deer hunting lease where I pig hunt had probably 1/2 of the land clear cut.
Then the paper company raised the price due to the land being "More Diverse "now. Craziest thing I ever heard of.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The deer hunting lease where I pig hunt had probably 1/2 of the land clear cut.
Then the paper company raised the price due to the land being "More Diverse "now. Craziest thing I ever heard of.
I’d pay more for a clear cut than pine plantation

transfixer

I’d pay more for a clear cut than pine plantation

In the past I would as well, but the way they all seem to do it now ? they cut and leave all the remnants, don't push it into piles and burn, they spray herbicide the first spring after, killing all the greenery for that year, so the first year after cutting its a literal desert, no animals use it cause there is nothing growing out there , then they manually plant seedlings right through the refuse of the cutting, so you actually only get about 2 yrs, maybe three at the very most of huntable clearcut, because the weeds and briars that come up through the leftover bark and tree limbs and trimmings will be 3 or 4 feet high the second year