Average truck payment is nearing $1000

basshappy

BANNED
I retired my twenty something year old F150 a couple of years ago and bought a used F250 replacement. If you are willing to live with what others don't want (long bed, cloth seats, basic) you can get a used one with less than 50K miles for $20-30K less than a new gas engine truck with bells and whistles.

Love cloth seats! And crank arms! Fun to watch kids try to figure out what they are and how the window goes down. :)

20230927_211626.jpg

Sargent

They're almost the same truck. I like it so far. Tough lil rig, big V6, transmission cooler, wrapped in skid plates, heavy-duty everything, locking differential, AC converter, about 7k towing capacity.
Is this your first Frontier?

I have an 11 with 162K on it and it's getting old. I was going to go to a Titan, but since they're being scrapped after next year, I am looking heavily at Frontiers again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is this your first Frontier?

I have an 11 with 162K on it and it's getting old. I was going to go to a Titan, but since they're being scrapped after next year, I am looking heavily at Frontiers again.
Nope. My first one I ran 300K and still had the original alternator and starter. Only thing I ever replaced on it was batteries, brakes, tires, and a valve cover gasket at about 250k. Never had any issues with it. That's why I keep running them. I traded a '18 Frontier with 91k for this one, never did anything but change the oil and tires. Still running even the same battery. 0 issues. I have never had that kind of great experience with any other brand, and I've owned about all of them over the years. I'm sold unless they change something drastically.

Sargent

Nope. My first one I ran 300K and still had the original alternator and starter. Only thing I ever replaced on it was batteries, brakes, tires, and a valve cover gasket at about 250k. Never had any issues with it. That's why I keep running them. I traded a '18 Frontier with 91k for this one, never did anything but change the oil and tires. Still running even the same battery. 0 issues. I have never had that kind of great experience with any other brand, and I've owned about all of them over the years. I'm sold unless they change something drastically.
I had a sensor go bad and a valve cover gasket leak.... that's it.

It is the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. I REALLY like the way the GMC Sierra looks.... but I've been down that road before.... function over from now for me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

It is the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. I REALLY like the way the GMC Sierra looks.... but I've been down that road before.... function over from now for me.
I really liked the way my last Chevy looked, too. I didn't like the way I had to replace something on it monthly or weekly, and was sitting on the side of the road about as much as I was driving.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Tax incentives drive a lot of new truck sales. If you’re self employed it’s a no brainer

I get a new one every 5 or 6 years for that reason. I don’t make payments. I just trade in and cut the check. Makes me feel like I’m gonna puke writing that check. But, it makes sense for the checkbook

Also, these new trucks will FLY

GaMudd

Tax incentives drive a lot of new truck sales. If you’re self employed it’s a no brainer

I get a new one every 5 or 6 years for that reason. I don’t make payments. I just trade in and cut the check. Makes me feel like I’m gonna puke writing that check. But, it makes sense for the checkbook

Also, these new trucks will FLY
Yes they will! My last truck had a governor that limited the speed to 90mph. hated it. This new one runs over 100 and its like riding on air.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I just had my '19 Tundra serviced. They left the rearview mirror tag they put on your car and on the side facing me they offered me $28K for my Tundra. The dealer had 1 Tundra sitting on the lot so on my way out I decided to check it out. Turbo V6, max crew cab, leather seats, whipped cream injectors, etc. etc. etc.

The sticker price was a cool $78K. Got back in my '19 Tundra that I could sell today on Autotrader for $40K and left.

Geffellz18

I really liked the way my last Chevy looked, too. I didn't like the way I had to replace something on it monthly or weekly, and was sitting on the side of the road about as much as I was driving.

GMC trucks have always been one of the best looking trucks imo, so I bought one several years ago-Never Again!
Looking good at the shop or in the driveway continuously doesn’t do me any good but getting broker by the second!
A buddy of mine bought his dream truck finally after about 15 years-GMC Denali package. It was traded in less than 9 months. Said he tried to love it, but just couldn’t and was already having tranny issues with it after a few months.
My next truck will more than likely be a Tundra with the plan to be the last one I purchase.
Would not hesitate to purchase a frontier or Titan though-Great looking and very dependable trucks.

transfixer

If I weren't in the automotive repair world it would be very daunting to try to buy a used truck, but since I know the ins and outs of the majority of them, I know what to look for, what hopefully has already been fixed, and what will need to be fixed at some point, I've bought a couple of trucks that needed transmission work because the owners didn't want to pay to have it fixed, I have mileage limits in my head as to what I would buy and what is too many miles, 1st gen LS motors will go 500k miles easily if a couple things are addressed, there isn't a Ford or Dodge motor that will go that long unless its a diesel, but diesels aren't worth the extra cost now with the new low sulfur fuel

jdgator

If I weren't in the automotive repair world it would be very daunting to try to buy a used truck, but since I know the ins and outs of the majority of them, I know what to look for, what hopefully has already been fixed, and what will need to be fixed at some point, I've bought a couple of trucks that needed transmission work because the owners didn't want to pay to have it fixed, I have mileage limits in my head as to what I would buy and what is too many miles, 1st gen LS motors will go 500k miles easily if a couple things are addressed, there isn't a Ford or Dodge motor that will go that long unless its a diesel, but diesels aren't worth the extra cost now with the new low sulfur fuel

Fixer, what would be your go-to used truck right now?

earlthegoat2

My go to used vehicle, in order of size, would be any first or second Gen Tacoma, any 2001-2005 LS equipped GM truck, or 2000-2007 Super Duty Ford with a gas engine.

Any mileage on any of them based on my own scrutiny before purchase as long as they run and drive.

These would be my preference based on my use and needs and familiarity with them. I know the things that go wrong with them and I can fix most of them myself.

Many folks will have different preferences and may shy away from vehicles so old or with the accompanying high mileage.

It is hard for anyone to ever know what vehicle is right for them be it used or new.

jaybirdius

I've been a diesel mechanic since 1986. Unless you can expense out repairs, have lots of money or can work on it yourself, I would recommend not buying a diesel. Very few are simple to work on since @ 1993. The newer ones require so much specialty tools that are beyond what an average person would own. I break at least one heart a week telling folks that Juniors jacked up, souped up truck needs a $10,000-30,000 repair. Overheat a Cummins 6.7 or let an injector failure burn a hole in a piston on any diesel since 1994 and it gets ugly quick.

Latest posts