Average truck payment is nearing $1000

sinclair1

Are those specifically insurance owned, or could fleet owned vehicles be mixed in? I know from a body shop that used to be next door to my shop that Enterprise (I'm guessing others, too) self insures, and doesn't fix anything over a certain amount. I think it was $3500 at the time (2016 or so). For awhile, we had a back lot of "totals" that were totaled from Enterprise (and thus body shop owners) perspective, but weren't technically totals in the industry.
It is a mix of new and older cars coming in. Lots of high end stuff mixed in there as well. You may be on to something with some of the loads coming in. I imagine the ones that you see zero damage are flooded cars.

Did enterprise put a total on the vin? Or could a guy buy them at action with a clean title? I am not sure where the containers are going that get put on ships. Might take down a few container numbers and track it to see what country they end up.

basshappy

BANNED
I can't imagine dropping $1K on a Ford ... unless it's a GT40. Ha ha

The irony is buyers are paying more now for what appears to be lower quality but definitely is more difficult to troubleshoot and work on vehicles (with all of the E-Interconnected crud).

I told my dad recently I couldn't purchase a vehicle newer than 2018. Once Covid hit ... quality took a hit.

But I think vehicles of yesteryear look way nicer than the rubber and plastic vehicles of today. 1978 and earlier vehicles are the cat's meow to me. You don't get interior like this anymore (well, unless you redo the interior!)!

received_416611576369883.jpeg

jdgator

The irony is buyers are paying more now for what appears to be lower quality but definitely is more difficult to troubleshoot and work on vehicles (with all of the E-Interconnected crud).

I told my dad recently I couldn't purchase a vehicle newer than 2018. Once Covid hit ... quality took a hit.

But I think vehicles of yesteryear look way nicer than the rubber and plastic vehicles of today. 1978 and earlier vehicles are the cat's meow to me. You don't get interior like this anymore (well, unless you redo the interior!)!

View attachment 1256992

Classy looking Bronco! I always wanted a real one.

sinclair1

View attachment 1256992
I love a good classic and have owned a few myself, but even fully restored,
I never felt good enough to set out for a trip to Texas in one or could I afford the Gas bill my K5 would have given me today.
Easy to work on -yes
Cheaper to fix -yes
Go 300k before needing restoration of about every part known to man - negative.

Old classics make good weekend rides but you try to commute 50 miles a day and the wrecker bill will be your most expensive household bill

bassboy1

It is a mix of new and older cars coming in. Lots of high end stuff mixed in there as well. You may be on to something with some of the loads coming in. I imagine the ones that you see zero damage are flooded cars.

Did enterprise put a total on the vin? Or could a guy buy them at action with a clean title? I am not sure where the containers are going that get put on ships. Might take down a few container numbers and track it to see what country they end up.
Clean title was my understanding.

basshappy

BANNED
Old classics make good weekend rides but you try to commute 50 miles a day and the wrecker bill will be your most expensive household bill

Man I hope I don't get the kiss of death for putting this out there, but no issues as a daily driver. Drive it back from Indiana when I bought it no issues. Have driven round trip out of state a few times also without issues. I did drop in a new radiator, switched to a Hydratech brake system (utilizing power steering system instead of vacuum), but old tech still rocks for me!

earlthegoat2

There are a few “modern” updates you can do to classics to increase reliability, safety, and drive ability.

Good power disc brakes, some kind of steering enhancement, and coil over suspension. Basically turning it into a restomod m. Might as well install the LS too at that point. Then you will have a true go anywhere vehicle with an engine that will go several hundred K miles as well. Still be a breeze to work on if you did all the mods yourself.

Of course, if it was that easy, everybody would be doing it.

Really, don’t need any of it though if you want the classic look and feel.

sinclair1

Man I hope I don't get the kiss of death for putting this out there, but no issues as a daily driver. Drive it back from Indiana when I bought it no issues. Have driven round trip out of state a few times also without issues. I did drop in a new radiator, switched to a Hydratech brake system (utilizing power steering system instead of vacuum), but old tech still rocks for me!
That’s good. I admit most of my classics were barely street legal and I carried spare spark plugs at all times.
I never got more than 100k miles on anything until I went foreign. My Ford Explorer only made it 80k pulling a 18ft Ranger on the weekends.

I had a rule back in the domestic truck days. I won’t travel with anything that has more than 100k miles.

The crazy part is I can buy a Chevy on the family discount from GM F&F and still passed. I sure thought about one, but the confidence is low.

Lilly001

That’s good. I admit most of my classics were barely street legal and I carried spare spark plugs at all times.
I never got more than 100k miles on anything until I went foreign. My Ford Explorer only made it 80k pulling a 18ft Ranger on the weekends.

I had a rule back in the domestic truck days. I won’t travel with anything that has more than 100k miles.
Being broke down on the side of the interstate and waiting for a tow truck is a humbling experience.
I’ve tried several tow plans and it seem they all take 2-3 hours to get a tow to you.
When you have a wife and kids with you and it’s a day in the 90s you soon begin to cuss the vehicle that broke down.
I do a lot of preventive maintenance just to stop this very thing but as a vehicle ages the odds are against you.
A good tow plan ( anyone got one that can send a tow in less than 2 hours when you’re in the boonies?) is as important as changing your oil.

sinclair1

Being broke down on the side of the interstate and waiting for a tow truck is a humbling experience.
I’ve tried several tow plans and it seem they all take 2-3 hours to get a tow to you.
When you have a wife and kids with you and it’s a day in the 90s you soon begin to cuss the vehicle that broke down.
I do a lot of preventive maintenance just to stop this very thing but as a vehicle ages the odds are against you.
A good tow plan ( anyone got one that can send a tow in less than 2 hours when you’re in the boonies?) is as important as changing your oil.
I take a few chances on my 2012. It’s getting old, but my wife will drive the finest autos we can afford.
I am not driving the new truck but on vacation and long trips right now. Want it to be my last.

basshappy

BANNED
@sinclair1 my dad always dumped our vehicles between 65-80 K miles growing up in the '70s and '80s. I deviated from that and took to the preventative maintenance and care (dad took care of vehicles, he just wouldn't keep them past 80K miles no matter what) will keep you rollin' on down the road.

In addition to the Hydratech brake system I did install beefier motor mounts and perches, and swapped to a Redhead Steering box upgrade coupled with Borgeson steering shaft. The brakes respond more like power assisted brakes and the steering and suspension are tighter.

20230927_123401.jpg

20230927_123446.jpg

20230927_123601.jpg

Last edited:

huntersluck

I bought a 2019 ram 1500 in 2022 with 69k miles on it, not because I am a Ram fan , it was just the best deal for what I got. It rides terrible but no mechanical or electrical issues with it yet. My last truck had 238 k miles on it when I got rid of it, and this one will have that or more before I get rid of it.

GaMudd

I looked a purchasing a used (2-3 yo) truck, but they were the same or more than a new one. I just purchased a new Sierra and love it. It took almost four months to get it after I ordered it.
My old truck was a 2009 Sierra with 300K on it. I told my son to sell it and he could keep whatever he got over $5,000.00, knowing he would never get that much. The first guy that looked at it took it home. He got $6200.00 and had 14 people that wanted to look at it.

Core Lokt

Exactly. Won't ever find another. Keep it until wheels roll off.
It was my wife's grandfathers. All he did was put around in the national forest listening to the CB of his son's running dogs. He did hunt for several years after he got it. He had 5 living sons when he passed. Can't believe I ended up with it. It runs great. No dents and no rust. Clear coat on the roof and hood is coming off.

basshappy

BANNED
It was my wife's grandfathers. All he did was put around in the national forest listening to the CB of his son's running dogs. He did hunt for several years after he got it. He had 5 living sons when he passed. Can't believe I ended up with it. It runs great. No dents and no rust. Clear coat on the roof and hood is coming off.

Awesome history and now yours to continue to write more. Very nice.

B. White

I haven't driven a truck as a daily driver in a long time and won't. I can understand if someone needs a work truck, but the replacement cost is too much to burn the miles for basic transportation.

I retired my twenty something year old F150 a couple of years ago and bought a used F250 replacement. If you are willing to live with what others don't want (long bed, cloth seats, basic) you can get a used one with less than 50K miles for $20-30K less than a new gas engine truck with bells and whistles.