Been a while

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
From my studies, from the most popular verse there probably is in the book of John Chapter 3 it tells whomsoever.

We are told we will not know everything nor know everything.

There is one God

Why do I post verses the I feel back me up. I do not ignore any however I do not go seeking prove God wrong. That I guess is a difference between believers and non. When you experience things, see things, hear things that are what we call testimonies. Works of God that even doctors cannot explain or no man can how can one say God does not exist?
You said it yourself, things happen that are unexplained and unexplainable, and while nobody knows how or why...even doctors...you explain it as the work of a god just like the people of thousands of years ago did when they absolutely cannot understand something. Isn't it thouhht provoking that it is always the god you happen to believe in when it involves you and that gods all over the planet get the same credit as your god does when the same unexplainable events happen to people that believe in them?

ambush80

From my studies, from the most popular verse there probably is in the book of John Chapter 3 it tells whomsoever.

There is one God

Why do I post verses the I feel back me up. I do not ignore any however I do not go seeking prove God wrong. That I guess is a difference between believers and non. When you experience things, see things, hear things that are what we call testimonies. Works of God that even doctors cannot explain or no man can how can one say God does not exist?

A person that REALLY wants to know the truth about anything they will try to find things that DIS-prove what they believe. That's why most atheists have read many religious books, listened to criticisms of atheism, read apologist literature and ask questions of believers. When believers say that they don't seek to prove their God wrong, they show that their beliefs aren't well examined or well formed.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
A person that REALLY wants to know the truth about anything will try to find things the DIS-prove what they believe. That's why most atheists have read many religious books, listened to criticisms of atheism, read apologist literature and ask questions of believers. When believers say that they don't seek to prove their God wrong, they show that their beliefs aren't well examined or well formed.
I once thought it was impossible to prove god wrong, until I tried it.
Once I got past the notion to try, the courage to go through with it and the first step towards researching what is contained in the bible(which I was positive was infallible) I was shocked at how easy it was and is to discount it and see that it is not the work of a god at all. If it is the work of a god, and that is the best that a supposed god can do, it is not something that I am interested in worshiping .

j_seph

Why do some of those who do not believe, those that say there is no God, those who fight so hard to say there isn't and as many here seek to prove it come around after the fact? Sorry that was probably a run on sentence or something lol. Anyone on FB look up Dave Glander, he is on example.

atlashunter

I presume that because this picture shows a starving, dying child with a buzzard behind it you are meaning there is no plan because an all mighty God would not let this happen?

A starving child with a buzzard waiting to eat it is what I would expect of a world where no one was at the wheel. Where anything that can happen sooner or later will and without any regard for how special we presume ourselves to be in this universe. I cannot entirely rule out a god but based on the observable evidence the least likely scenario is an all powerful, all knowing, all loving god. The deist's god is more probable than that.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Or perhaps there simply is no god in which case the riddle is easily solved.

As Mark Twain wrote in Thoughts of God.

To rescue without personal risk a cripple from a burning house is not a mercy, it is a mere commonplace duty; anybody would do it that could. And not by proxy, either - delegating the work but confiscating the credit for it. If men neglected "God’s poor" and "God’s stricken and helpless ones" as He does, what would become of them? The answer is to be found in those dark lands where man follows His example and turns his indifferent back upon them: they get no help at all; they cry, and plead and pray in vain, they linger and suffer, and miserably die. If you will look at the matter rationally and without prejudice, the proper place to hunt for the facts of His mercy, is not where man does the mercies and He collects the praise, but in those regions where He has the field to Himself.

atlashunter

True but no excuse to abandon reason and evidence.

I do not ignore any however I do not go seeking prove God wrong.

Why not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

When you experience things, see things, hear things that are what we call testimonies. Works of God that even doctors cannot explain or no man can how can one say God does not exist?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

Israel

BANNED
A starving child with a buzzard waiting to eat it is what I would expect of a world where no one was at the wheel. Where anything that can happen sooner or later will and without any regard for how special we presume ourselves to be in this universe. I cannot entirely rule out a god but based on the observable evidence the least likely scenario is an all powerful, all knowing, all loving god. The deist's god is more probable than that.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Or perhaps there simply is no god in which case the riddle is easily solved.

As Mark Twain wrote in Thoughts of God.
To rescue without personal risk a cripple from a burning house is not a mercy, it is a mere commonplace duty; anybody would do it that could. And not by proxy, either - delegating the work but confiscating the credit for it. If men neglected "God’s poor" and "God’s stricken and helpless ones" as He does, what would become of them? The answer is to be found in those dark lands where man follows His example and turns his indifferent back upon them: they get no help at all; they cry, and plead and pray in vain, they linger and suffer, and miserably die. If you will look at the matter rationally and without prejudice, the proper place to hunt for the facts of His mercy, is not where man does the mercies and He collects the praise, but in those regions where He has the field to Himself.

A simple fault in Twain's exposition is this. The arsonist. Some actually do delight in burning it all down, regardless of who may be inside.

What if we then say..."but that is aberrant behavior" that just proves the rule. What is telling us it's aberrant?

Last edited:

WaltL1

There is one God

however I do not go seeking prove God wrong. That I guess is a difference between believers and non.
Think about your guess for a moment.
For a nonbeliever to want to "prove God wrong", they would have to first believe a god exists.
That would make them a believer not a nonbeliever.
It seems to be a common misconception. We hear it a lot.
"You hate God", "you want to prove God wrong" or the ever ridiculous "you think you are a God".
A nonbeliever doesn't believe God exists. Hence the name.
If you don't believe a god exists, you don't hate it or think its wrong.
Its just not there. Until you or someone else proves that is. Until then, your guess is just wrong.
Guess again. (or you can pay attention to what we actually say to you as opposed to what you "guess").

WaltL1

Originally Posted by bullethead
All but the most conservative scholars now accept the hypothesis put forward by Doederlein . . . that the prophecies contained in chapters 40-66 of the book of Isaiah are not the words of the eighth-century prophet Isaiah but come from a later time.” (The New Century Bible Commentary)
Since you reject Isaiah, how about the account of Cyrus in the book of Daniel then?
Its interesting to me that you ignored "all but the most conservative scholars" and turned it into "YOU reject Isaiah".
Is that less threatening for you?

TripleXBullies

Triple X,

Did you try to fit anything else in the "hole"?

I think I answered that earlier with a more specific question of me considering other religions/gods. No I did not.

I thought I would be terribly uncomfortable at church that first time in 10 years, that I would have to grit my teeth through it. I turned out being pretty uncomfortable because I wasn't uncomfortable at all. This was the same God of my youth. He made a hole in the wall for himself.

atlashunter

What is telling us it's aberrant?

The same thing that tells you it's good when something good happens that you give a god credit for.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Why do some of those who do not believe, those that say there is no God, those who fight so hard to say there isn't and as many here seek to prove it come around after the fact? Sorry that was probably a run on sentence or something lol. Anyone on FB look up Dave Glander, he is on example.
After the fact of what??

atlashunter

I will say this, if I am wrong which I am not in following Christ, being a born again Christian you get the last laugh I guess. However have you given serious thought to the consequences when you are told "I never knew you, depart from me" when you reach that point and have the remembrance of all who have forewarned you with a condemning conscience as you spend an eternity in HeII

What you are talking about is Pascal's wager. Just believe. What have you got to lose? Well a fair bit in this life as it turns out depending on just how far you take faith. The first problem that comes to mind with Pascal's wager is, which god do you choose to gamble on? There are thousands of them. What if you pick the wrong one? You're in no better position then than the atheist. Have you given serious thought to the consequences of offending all those other gods? Here's another thought for you. What if there is an intelligence behind all of this and life really is a test but it's not the test you think? What if the creator is one of reason and bestowed reason upon us and the challenge is to weed out those who will cave in to fear and abandon their reason for faith from those who won't? Maybe you are the one who squeezes through the keyhole of death to find on the other side that the winners are those who didn't engage in wish thinking. Or perhaps death is simply the same state of non existence it was before your life began. Place your bets where you want but don't kid yourself thinking by choosing a particular god that you've improved your odds over anyone else.

Israel

BANNED
The same thing that tells you it's good when something good happens that you give a god credit for.

Then disregard that question because it's obvious the first matter has not been addressed. "All men" do not go into burning buildings. Some set them afire.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
what you are talking about is pascal's wager. Just believe. What have you got to lose? Well a fair bit in this life as it turns out depending on just how far you take faith. The first problem that comes to mind with pascal's wager is, which god do you choose to gamble on? There are thousands of them. What if you pick the wrong one? You're in no better position then than the atheist. Have you given serious thought to the consequences of offending all those other gods? Here's another thought for you. What if there is an intelligence behind all of this and life really is a test but it's not the test you think? What if the creator is one of reason and bestowed reason upon us and the challenge is to weed out those who will cave in to fear and abandon their reason for faith from those who won't? Maybe you are the one who squeezes through the keyhole of death to find on the other side that the winners are those who didn't engage in wish thinking. Or perhaps death is simply the same state of non existence it was before your life began. Place your bets where you want but don't kid yourself thinking by choosing a particular god that you've improved your odds over anyone else.
bingo

atlashunter

Then disregard that question because it's obvious the first matter has not been addressed. "All men" do not go into burning buildings. Some set them afire.

Twain didn't say "all men" and I think you're completely missing his point.

ky55