Been a while

Israel

BANNED
"anybody would do it that could."

Israel

BANNED
Is his point not an issue with those who redirect appreciation to God, other than accept it to themselves as men, for man? If he, then maintains the "no god" (as Walt has sought to define it)...then the defect, if it is found in reason, is with the man who redirects to God.

Last edited:

atlashunter

"anybody would do it that could."

It's in the context of the proclaimed moral goodness of god. If you want to claim god is like a man that wouldn't engage in what we consider a "commonplace duty" for moral men go right ahead.

ky55

Is his point not an issue with those who redirect appreciation to God, other than accept it to themselves as men, for man? If he, then maintains the "no god" (as Walt has sought to define it)...then the defect, if it is found in reason, is with the man who redirects to God.

I thought his "point" was very plain:

"If men neglected "God’s poor" and "God’s stricken and helpless ones" as He does, what would become of them? The answer is to be found in those dark lands where man follows His example and turns his indifferent back upon them: they get no help at all; they cry, and plead and pray in vain, they linger and suffer, and miserably die. "

Mercy and compassion comes only from man.

j_seph

Quick Google search says there are 5 major world religions.

Christianity - Believes in One God
Buddhism - Does not worship any God/Gods
Newage - Believes we ourselves are God
Islam - Believes in One God
Hinduism - Infinite manifestations of God(single not plural)

So now we have 3 of the 5 who say one God, each one promises Heaven, Paradise, or Soul to be at Rest and no more rebirths.

Each of the 3 have different ways of reaching the final goal of the soul being at rest/peace when your life is over.

I personally have had, felt, and seen too many things happen based on my Christianity belief and teachings. There for I chose my one God who sent his son to die for my sins that saved my soul. God Bless all of ya

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

So now we have 3 of the 5 who say one God, each one promises Heaven, Paradise, or Soul to be at Rest and no more rebirths.

Each of the 3 have different ways of reaching the final goal of the soul being at rest/peace when your life is over.

I personally have had, felt, and seen too many things happen based on my Christianity belief and teachings. There for I chose my one God who sent his son to die for my sins that saved my soul. God Bless all of ya

Why isn't there 1 religion if one is all that is true?
Why do the believers in other religions have the same experiences as you and give their god credit?
How is it that I have experiences similar to you and give credit to no god?

WaltL1

Just like a buffet.
Choose what looks tastiest to you.
I personally have had, felt, and seen too many things happen based on my Christianity belief and teachings.
Its not a coincidence that you chose to give the credit to the one you were taught and believe.
You didn't choose by proving the others wrong you just chose what you were taught.
At one time we were taught the earth was flat.....

welderguy

Why isn't there 1 religion if one is all that is true?
Why do the believers in other religions have the same experiences as you and give their god credit?
How is it that I have experiences similar to you and give credit to no god?

How is it that only some are able to believe that Jesus is the Son of God? :pop:

j_seph

Just like a buffet.
Choose what looks tastiest to you.

Its not a coincidence that you chose to give the credit to the one you were taught and believe.
You didn't choose by proving the others wrong you just chose what you were taught.
At one time we were taught the earth was flat.....
Very little church till age 17, got saved at age 19, I walked away from church, 42 years old before I actually started my walk in faith and truly following him doing my best to live for the Lord. Only in the past couple years have I paid any attention to things in my life prior and experienced the things I have.

WaltL1

How is it that only some are able to believe that Jesus is the Son of God? :pop:
Same way some are able to believe in unicorns. Or Bigfoot. or the Loch Ness monster or Wakan Tanka or.......

WaltL1

Very little church till age 17, got saved at age 19, I walked away from church, 42 years old before I actually started my walk in faith and truly following him doing my best to live for the Lord. Only in the past couple years have I paid any attention to things in my life prior and experienced the things I have.
This still stands -

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Upbringing, culture, geographic location, force.

Nobody knows a god that wasnt told about it in one way or another first.

Welder if you were born on a remote island and cut off from hearing about JC and lived your live without being told about JC you wouldnt know or care who JC was.

Everyone is able to believe. Some are willing to go with the god that best fits their needs. Everyone is able to not believe based on whatever criteria fits.
It is ALL about personal choice. No god necessary.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

But you live in an area where belief in JC is strong.
Take your same story above but yet you live in Iran. You will have come to Allah. Same story different god, just as positive that the choice is the ONLY one.

atlashunter

Having a large number of followers puts them no closer to what is true. At one time the consensus was the world was flat.

welderguy

Same way some are able to believe in unicorns. Or Bigfoot. or the Loch Ness monster or Wakan Tanka or.......

Ok, how is it that some are not able to believe Jesus is the Son of God, even when they know, with their minds, much about Him?

welderguy

Upbringing, culture, geographic location, force.

Nobody knows a god that wasnt told about it in one way or another first.

Welder if you were born on a remote island and cut off from hearing about JC and lived your live without being told about JC you wouldnt know or care who JC was.

Everyone is able to believe. Some are willing to go with the god that best fits their needs. Everyone is able to not believe based on whatever criteria fits.
It is ALL about personal choice. No god necessary.

I wouldn't know about Him with my mind, but if He revealed Himself to my spirit, that's sufficient.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
If such a being exists I refuse to acknowledge or worship it. That is all.

And this is the crux of the matter. "That is all." could be no more true nor accurate.

WaltL1

Ok, how is it that some are not able to believe Jesus is the Son of God, even when they know, with their minds, much about Him?
Give your question just the tiniest bit of thought.

People can tell you about unicorns without believing they exist. People can tell you about the Loch Ness monster without believing it exists.
People can tell you about the Christian God, Allah, Budha , Wakan Tanka, Harry Potter, the Wicked Witch of the West............... without believing they exist.
I bet YOU can give me information about all those I mentioned above.
Therefore you believe they exist right?
If your answer is no, ask yourself how you can know about them, with your mind, but NOT believe they exist.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I wouldn't know about Him with my mind, but if He revealed Himself to my spirit, that's sufficient.

Your spirit.
An imaginary place to store an imaginary being.
Perfect

The problem with your scenario is that nobody on remote islands get visits by god, JC, or any other god. Not in person, not in mind, not in "spirit".

Latest posts