Best smoker under $500.00

Shadow11

There several choices, but I can vouch for the Oklohoma Joe being durable.
People have gotten away from off sets but I like to be able to load it up with sawed oak and Hickory.
Thx. I was leaning toward a couple of Oklahoma Joe's at academy this morning. One was a vertical style with the heat directly beneath. It was 399.00.
The other is what I think you mean by offset. The old man there recommended it because of the quantity it can hold. It was 350.00

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve had an offset Oklahoma Joe for about ten years now and I really like it.

Sargent

I've had good luck with the Chargriller Akorn as well.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Akorn, for sure.

tad1

So many great choices. It’s not hard to find a good used griller smoker either on Facebook marketplace. Sometimes gotta be willing use a little elbow grease get it cleaned up but it should cook perfect if you don’t mind cosmetics. I found many a steal.

tad1

Weber kettles are pretty awesome too unless you really plan on doing lots of meat, they do require a little more babysitting than some. But a 24 inch Weber would be a cat daddy.

tad1

Another thing is a UDS smoker that you can build for pretty cheap. I have built several and my current one I’ve had for probably 10 years now. They also have the commercially available ones you can buy. I’ll built mine and added an old Weber kettle lid and two grates. It’s a pretty impressive amount of meat can fit on there.

DannyW

So many great choices. It’s not hard to find a good used griller smoker either on Facebook marketplace. Sometimes gotta be willing use a little elbow grease get it cleaned up but it should cook perfect if you don’t mind cosmetics. I found many a steal.
Or for free. That's how I got my Chargriller Pro Offset...guy offered it free for pick-up on Craigslist.

I cleaned it up, repainted it, lowered the smokestack, added new thermometers, added new gasket around the lid, and built new shelves out of some leftover 3/4" solid plank flooring.

All-told, I probably have 5-6 hours and around $125 in what could now be called a custom offset smoker. It's solid.

Grill.jpg
And the nice thing about an offset smoker is it can do double duty and function as a bang-up regular grill if you ignore the offset just use charcoal in the catch pan of the barrel itself.

Last edited:

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I'm in the same boat as you... Finally in a place where I can utilize one. I was about dead set on a Weber Smokey Mountain, but now I'm leaning back towards the Akorn.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the same boat as you... Finally in a place where I can utilize one. I was about dead set on a Weber Smokey Mountain, but now I'm leaning back towards the Akorn.
You won't regret the Akorn. I've been using mine steadily for about ten years now. It's a great smoker, but also a grill, pizza oven, whatever you need it to do.