Braves 2024 Season Thread

biggdogg

I doubt it happens this year, but I do see Acuna signing an extension at some point, probably in the $28-30 mil per range. Mainly because he WANTS to stay in Atlanta and has made that very clear. Fried? He won't re-sign. He is a California kid, and the Cali teams will simply throw way too much money at him for AA to even consider competing. AA will probably offer a 3-4 year deal at around $30 mil. He'll sign for at least 7 years and that you can bank on. AA will sign a starter in the off season and either Waldrup or Shawver fills in the other rotation gap.

As far as this season, I see some regression with Ozuna (no way he replicates 2023) and Olson. Although Olson still hits at least 40 bombs, so the term regression may be a little strong in his case. Riley hasn't even hit his stride yet, he may put up even bigger numbers in 2024.

AA also addressed the bench, and I agree with him. It's hard to invest in high level talent to fill bench roles when the starters refuse to take a game off. And with the DH (which I absolutely do like), pinch hitters have become totally obsolete. In-season trades to cover a major injury should one happen are the way to go with this lineup.

Now about that lineup. 1-3 in the order, the Braves and Dodgers are fairly even. But 1-9, there is no team even close to the Braves. I see Kelenic in the .260/15/60 range probably hitting in the 8 hole.

biggdogg

My thoughts are you should be able to do more than throw. And really throw more than just a 95+ fast ball.
Sure they were never great hitters but at least most would take a few swings.
Plus I don't like the way most don't field the ball, they seem to let the position players get the ground balls.
Hate that as much as hitters not running to 1st, they trot, too good to run. The fielder could misplay the ball, make a bad throw or any number of other things. But if your trotting then you'll probably be out anyway, but if you run there is the chance you could beat it out.
While I can agree with this to an extent, for better or worse, the game has changed. Positions are far more specialized now than they were 20 years ago. Pitchers are taught to field only what's in front of them any more and let the better athletes handle the plays around them. Pitchers quit focusing on hitting years ago. They spend every spare minute focused on fine tuning their pitches and mechanics so they can actually get the guys out that spend every spare minute fine tuning their swings. I personally would rather see a DH than watch a pitcher take 3 half hearted hacks and a "U" turn.

Now the not running out the routine grounder part, I whole heartedly agree with that. Run it out and see what happens.

HermanMerman

I was watching a YouTube video the other day of Braves highlights over the course of the regular season last year. Home runs, stolen bases, destroying bullpens… the best offense I’ve ever seen just steamrolling the league. The further it went, the more annoyed I got thinking back on how the bats completely disappeared in the playoffs. This will be a fun season to watch but it’s all for nothing if they don’t mash the baseball come playoff time.

walukabuck

I wasn't a fan either. I'm such a baseball purist that I hated the introduction of interleague play.
But now that the DH is here to stay, I embrace it. I would 10,000 to 1 rather watch Marcell Ozuna hitting moon shots into the parking lot than watching a bunch of pitchers striking out pathetically.
Only redeeming quality of the DH for me is that it saves a pitching change or 2. Helps keep the starter out there a little longer.

BornToHuntAndFish

Spring Training 2024 season opener on Saturday, February 24th at 1:05pm . . .

Braves will open the Grapefruit League schedule at 1:05 p.m. on Feb. 24, with what is essentially a cross-town matchup against the Rays in Port Charlotte, which is adjacent to Englewood, the quiet beach town where some of the Braves have stayed during Spring Training.
Red Sox will visit CoolToday Park on Feb. 25 and March 17. Other visitors include the Orioles (Feb. 26, March 1, March 9), the Phillies (March 3) and the Yankees (March 21)

BornToHuntAndFish

Today's Braves starting lineup . . .

GHG519pX0AAS-5C

EDIT Update:

1st-inning, 1st-batter, 1st-pitch HR for Michael Harris.

2nd-inning, 3-hits, 3-runs for Braves, leading 4-0.

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like Braves starting pitcher in Monday's game is Max Fried.

Baseball Probable Pitchers

February 26, 2024

Orioles
@
Braves

Mon, Feb 26 • 1:05 PM EST

At CoolToday Park

Seth Johnson
RHP
0-0, -.-- ERA, 0 SO

Max Fried
LHP
0-0, -.-- ERA, 0 SO

current

biggdogg

Did you watch the game? If so, where? Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of spring training games myself.
My wife and I listened to the game on the 680 The Fan app while we were at the softball field for a couple scrimmage games our daughter was playing in. I do know Bally will be broadcasting 7-8 Spring games this season. But I'm not sure of the schedule.

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like Braves starting pitcher for the next game on Tuesday is Chris Sale.

Here's the Spring Training game schedule below with Bally Sports South showing the TV broadcast on Saturday, March 2nd.

SPRING TRAINING Schedule

westcobbdog

Wonder how Sale did? Heard on radio today Fried as a Padre minor leaguer, AA ball think, had about a 5.90 era before being dealt to the Braves. What a turn around and certainly hope we resign him.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Sale looked good. I just hope he is close to what he was 4-5 years ago.

And by all accounts Strider’s curve is almost as good as his fastball and slider. It’s early but that bodes well for a potential postseason 1-2 punch.

DannyW

I'm not getting good vibes about Acuna's injury. It's gone from "just taking a day off to rest his knee" to "going to take a week off to make sure it gets better". And now he's meeting with his orthopedic surgeon before the week is up.

It's escalating in a big hurry.