Can I get a live feed to my feeder that is 400 ft from the house?

Burton

You know what would be nice? A live video feed of my feeder that is 400 ft from the house.

Can I run a video/power wire over 400 ft from the house? Ideally I can get a $80 camera with zoom/pan and control it back here from my office at home.

But I don't see how that's possible. It may be cheaper to buy a 2nd feeder and put it in range of the house.

Deerhead

If the camera is PoE (Power over Ethernet) than the max distance if 328ft. I have stretched it to 400 ft but you will run into problems. An inline power booster can be installed to extend the range but you will need electrical service at that point. Hope this helps

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I have eufy2 wireless security cameras that will reach that far. The home base is a network extension as it runs off wifi also.

Burton

If the camera is PoE (Power over Ethernet) than the max distance if 328ft. I have stretched it to 400 ft but you will run into problems. An inline power booster can be installed to extend the range but you will need electrical service at that point. Hope this helps
Thanks man. It looks like some may not require power??? Like this one:

I think I could be all in for:

$65 - 328 ft outdoor cat6
$30 - 100 ft outdoor cat6
$70 - Outdoor POE extender
$170 - Outdoor 15X zoom POE camera

So $335 for a live feed that might work if I can truly extend to 400 ft with that POE extender and no additional power. So maybe next year. Not currently in my budget.

rosewood

Maybe use a solar panel and battery to power it midspan?

natureman

Might want to check into wi-fi solar powered. I use Reolink cameras at my home all CAT6 connected and have been pleased with them. A quality zoom lens camera with pan/tilt/zoom (PTZ) isn't going to be cheap. Also, night views on cheaper cams are mediocre at best. Check out YT reviews.

Last edited:

killerv

Thanks man. It looks like some may not require power??? Like this one:

I think I could be all in for:

$65 - 328 ft outdoor cat6
$30 - 100 ft outdoor cat6
$70 - Outdoor POE extender
$170 - Outdoor 15X zoom POE camera

So $335 for a live feed that might work if I can truly extend to 400 ft with that POE extender and no additional power. So maybe next year. Not currently in my budget.
Better make sure everything is grounded well. I've seen a lot of equipment get hammered during storms using outdoor cat. Now keep in mind this was laying on a roof or hung between poles.

Latest posts