Check engine light ?

quinn

Well it's emission time again.All seems a go....except the check engine light is not lit.It reads no codes but the light has to work.My question, is there a fuse for this light or is it just a blown bulb.I will have to remove the dash to change the bulb.Please someone tell me some good news!

GoldDot40

Year/Make/Model. On a few vehicles, it's tied in with the cigarette lighter. Check that fuse.

Nastytater

Banned
I'd check the fuses first before I took the instrument panel out. Less work and also cheaper to replace a fuse than a bulb or instrument cluster.

rjcruiser

The check engine light is not lit?

I thought that was a good thing...and is what was required.

modern_yeoman

The check engine light is not lit?

I thought that was a good thing...and is what was required.

Should come on then go off when key is turned on. It needs to function.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I had the same thing happen to me(2000 Sonoma).............when I was at Autozone getting ready to take the dash down to replace the bulb, it started working again.

Honestly, I would check the fuses first(Always), then start taking the dash down. But slap that sucker(dash) around and check it(turn key) a few times before you get to the bulb; maybe you'll get lucky like I did and it will come back on.

Its a Long Life bulb and should not have burned out, but it is possible and you'll need to replace it...........Good Luck brother::;

JohnnyWalker

I've never noticed the attendant at any of the emission places checking any of the dash lights. Maybe I just go to the seedy make a buck fast places. Dunno, but good luck.

56willysnut

go to auto parts store and have them check for codes- maybe you don't have any showing so the light is not on.

quinn

I've never noticed the attendant at any of the emission places checking any of the dash lights. Maybe I just go to the seedy make a buck fast places. Dunno, but good luck.

This guy was saying he was gonna be the orner of the emission place in January.He had me get outta the truck and stand to the side!:banginghe

Thanks bfriendly,I banged on it just maybe not the right spot!
The report states 00 codes.I guess it's something he had to put in.I had to get a stickler for details!

chadf

Just read the whole thread, if bulb doesn't work(check engine/service engine soon light appear) with key on/engine off; then the bulb is burnt out. It needs replaced.
Whole dash shouldn't have to be removed. Anymore ?'s Quinn, pm your contact info and I'll help all I can. I own a emission stations. Been testing for almost 10 years or so.

westcobbdog

Quinn if your ever westward over byMcCollum Airport on Hwy 41 in Kennesaw is mom/pop owned G&S Auto, they are fair and honest and work on my cars and are great with emmissions or any sort of issue.

GoldDot40

if bulb doesn't work(check engine/service engine soon light appear) with key on/engine off; then the bulb is burnt out. It needs replaced.
OR, the fuse tied in to that circuit is blown. In a lot of GM vehicles, it's the same fuse that the cigarette lighter/power outlet is on. It is a common problem for people who have radar detectors or phone chargers to make that fuse pop due to a faulty accessory that's plugged into it. I honestly cannot remember ever seeing a check engine light bulb burn out. The OP hasn't reported that he's even looked at any fuses yet.

I got my emissions inspector license in 1999....but let them expire a few years back.

runswithbeer

man you can have the cluster out in less than 60 secs. snap the trim off, take the t-20 screws out bulbs are an easy replace. id start there. watch the rubber escuchien on your shift lever, they are easy to tear.

quinn

Runswithbeer was right it was very easy to remove and change the bulb.I may have to take it back out,cause it still don't work.The service engine soon light came on while I was taking it apart and that hasn't been working either.I checked the fuses as well,all look good.I do have one that was missing.The #5 for hvac/RR doesn't have the metal clip that holds the fuse in when you plug it in.I don't know if it has always been like this or if this could be the issue!

cowhornedspike

The "service engine soon" light is the "check engine" light on most vehicles.