Chestnuts

win280

I would keep it in the garage with the soil slightly moist. If you move it back and forth to the sun, it may start budding, and I don't think you would want that right now. I am considering pruning mine back now to try and force the root system to develop better before it has to support all that upper growth. Thoughts?
Pull it out of the container and see how root bound the roots are. Mine were bound tight in the container.
Probably yours are also. If so, forcing more root growth in the container it came in wouldn't be to beneficial.
If you transplanted into a larger container then you would be O.K. jmo

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Pull it out of the container and see how root bound the roots are. Mine were bound tight in the container.
Probably yours are also. If so, forcing more root growth in the container it came in wouldn't be to beneficial.
If you transplanted into a larger container then you would be O.K. jmo

I transplanted to a 4 acre field. Reckon that would be enough room? lol I still haven't decided to prune or not to prune. That, my friend, is the question.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
mine have all set leaves and seem to be doing well. I hope we keep getting enough rain for them the rest of this year. I am encouraged about so many being planted.

win280

Mine are doing well. Just starting to bud out really well.I didn't prune mine as all mine were one straight whip.

hardwoodshall

I planted three this year and four last year and three this year. Unfortunately since we have been in a drought for the past three years I did not know that some of my planting areas held a lot of water in wet years. So the water has killed three of them. But those that were not killed that I had planted last year were blooming. I see lots of potential in these dunstans but I learned a $75 lesson, do not plant in wet areas.

2 UP

I planted three this year and four last year and three this year. Unfortunately since we have been in a drought for the past three years I did not know that some of my planting areas held a lot of water in wet years. So the water has killed three of them. But those that were not killed that I had planted last year were blooming. I see lots of potential in these dunstans but I learned a $75 lesson, do not plant in wet areas.

I'm afraid I'm going to be in the same boat with a pear and a few sawtooths. They were in standing water last time I was down there before all this recent rain. The Dunstans are on higher ground. I hope they're alright.

Pilgrim

Here are two of the four I planted. They are looking fabulous!

Attachments

• Dunstan Chestnut 1.jpg
    Dunstan Chestnut 1.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 575
  • Dunstan Chestnut 2.jpg
    Dunstan Chestnut 2.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 569

2 UP

Had a chance to check mine today. Very impressed. I hope they make it through the Summer. Some of the leaves are as big as my hand.

rhs1rhs

Going strong

Pleased to see them leaf out and going strong from the spring rains. 100% survival so far. A few trees along the edges have been browsed pretty good already.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 494

OldBat

When taking pictures of blooms a few weeks ago I missed one. Amazing that a tree just set out this year might produce a single chestnut.

Attachments

• dunstan4.jpg
    dunstan4.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 439

huntall

Let's see some updated pictures.
One of mine died and 4 is looking good.
I'll have to try to get some pictures.

pine nut

I planted three of them three years ago. A check last week showed one dead one sprouting fro the roots after dying back and one not thriving. I believe leaving the plastic cover on the trunk to discourage rabbits might have been my problem as the is aparently caused the bark to deteriorate under it. I'm just guessing by the look of it. I removed the plastic and I guess I see how and if it survives, but I think that might ahve been my problem.