Chestnuts

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the ones I got are much too big for a tree tube. They are already 5 ft or so tall.

2 UP

That's what I was thinking. Just wondered if cutting some down to 2-3 ft just below the branches would help.

Last edited:

2 UP

just split and trim the tubes to fit, done it for years

I agree. I ordered some 36" er's I'll carve out to fit them. Hopefully add a little condensation during the summer and shield from spraying and buck rubs in the Fall

2 UP

I'll probably use cages also. Did you prune any of the lower branches, or just leave them alone?

supernube

Bit the bullet and bought three. I hope they survive. 25 bucks a tree is pricey, but I too would like to see a comeback for these trees.

2 UP

Anyone have any pics of some already in the ground ? I plan on planting 6 in a straight line around 30 ft apart around a food plot Sat. Does that sound about right?

pine nut

Bit the bullet and bought three. I hope they survive. 25 bucks a tree is pricey, but I too would like to see a comeback for these trees.

Somewhere I read that you need two trees for adequate polination. Just sayin'! I bought three just in case somebody dies. I won't be able to water as it is some distance from home.

I put three metal post around my trees to hopefuly discourage buck rubs. Placed them closely triangulated around the tree about a foot apart. Probably will need to get them out in a few years, but needed something quick and easy. Your thoughts please?

supernube

I use three wood stakes that are 5 feet out of the ground and use zip ties to add a fence of chicken wire. Otherwise the deer will gnaw the branches off and bucks will rub them to death. Last season a buck rubbed an unprotected pear tree in half.

rhs1rhs

Here's hoping the Dunstans like middle GA - just planted this grove. Expecting them to start producing in a couple years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 570

2 UP

Here's hoping the Dunstans like middle GA - just planted this grove. Expecting them to start producing in a couple years.

That looks really good. How far apart did you plant them? I'm planting a few in Washington Cty this weekend.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I hope they are farther apart than what it looks like. They say 30 to 40 ft apart. To me, that looks like 12 to 15ft. Hope they do well for you.

I have some that are 1 year old and 3 I just planted in the past month.

Pappy

rhs1rhs

I hope they are farther apart than what it looks like. They say 30 to 40 ft apart. To me, that looks like 12 to 15ft. Hope they do well for you.

I have some that are 1 year old and 3 I just planted in the past month.

Pappy

Good eye on the distance. I cut the spacing in half to 15 ft. The way I figure, 30 ft spacing is for the trees at maturity (20-25 yrs). But with that, you spend the first 10-15 years with the trees pretty scattered. I went with 15 ft so that I can get plenty of chestnuts over the next 10 yrs - and then I'll thin them as needed. Even if I have to cut some out in 10-12 yrs, they will have dropped 10 yrs of crops. At $25 per tree, each year's crop will be about the price of a cup of Starbucks. : )

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Good eye on the distance. I cut the spacing in half to 15 ft. The way I figure, 30 ft spacing is for the trees at maturity (20-25 yrs). But with that, you spend the first 10-15 years with the trees pretty scattered. I went with 15 ft so that I can get plenty of chestnuts over the next 10 yrs - and then I'll thin them as needed. Even if I have to cut some out in 10-12 yrs, they will have dropped 10 yrs of crops. At $25 per tree, each year's crop will be about the price of a cup of Starbucks. : )

I thought about doing that, but just couldn't bear the thoughts of cutting down a producing tree. That group should have the squirrels and deer coming in real well in 3 years or so. They should be getting plenty of water right now. lol

Papppy

2 UP

I'm going with 30ft across tomorrow with my 6 tress . Good luck to all. Either way, they won't grow unless you plant them.